Building a wall cradel for RC7 - pic and question.

m00n

----------------

On 4/28/2004 8:04:29 AM picky-picky wrote:

tankhokie:

Yep! That's the one. His name is "Digger" and I agree: That is one, gross commercial! Yuck!
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/14.gif"> I think m00n's avitar is cute. I just needed a demented-looking character to upstage him is all. I guess from your reaction I succeeded! Sorry, if I offended anyone. That was not my intention.

----------------

Oh CMon! It was not offensive. If anything, my avitar is offensive, he is a little sex addict pervert in the show Tripping the Rift. I relate well to him9.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

----------------

On 5/20/2004 5:43:41 PM DrWho wrote:

so how's it looking? or has life sucked you back out of the audio world?

----------------

I would not say life so much as Jeep. However, I'm slowly regaining my interest in my theater room. I haven't done anything with it since I replace my RS7s with my RC7s. Geeze that was way back in March or something. Some 6 months ago?

I was just telling my wife this weekend I want to get back out there and get to working on mounting my RC7s properly. Not to mention, several of my co-workers have been asking when I was going to have another movie night. So, it looks like I will be whipping out my graph paper and Architectural rule here and get back to this.1.gif

I was just thinking...

If you wanted to build the curved corners, you might want to consider cutting a large plus or cross shaped hole out of your wall. Then you could install some masonite panels that will naturally create the kind of bend you're looking for. If you're going to make it look real nice, you could put some drywall (or reuse some drywall) to fill in the gaps that would be on the inside depth part of the box you just cut out of the wall...

I think this calls for some pics...

masonitecradle.gif

So why use masonite panels? Not only do they provide some good bass trapping, but they are also extremely good diffusers. Diffusion helps to make the room sound bigger than it actually is and with a little absorbtion will allow you to reach higher SPLs before the sound gets congested.

Masonite can be purchased at your local hardware store and is very easy to paint...just make sure you use a primer first (there's lots of oils and wierd stuff with the panels that will bleed through over time...dunno how big of a deal it'd be with black though...). While you're at it, you could also install some local spot lighting in your cieling just above the panel to shine down on it...perhaps give your panels a slightly different shade of black (or another color altogether). I've been to Art's place and he does a similar thing and it makes the room look way bigger and very very cool (the pics he has uploaded don't give it any justice at all).

I would love to see you do this Moon, I guarantee that it'd create such a vast improvement in your sound and make your room look that much cooler...oh wait, i mean sound that much better. Yes, that's the criteria here 2.gif

post-10350-1381925414715_thumb.gif

Oops, I forgot one thing...

"This is a bad 3-D view of the cut you will be making. The blue is supposed to represent the depth..."

The blue is also supposed to represent where you would be reusing the drywall.

For the corners between the blue and the white, you could use some convex corner moulding (like is often used in hallways). Usually it comes in this butt ugly plastic easily breakable stuff, but if you do your shopping, you should find some real nice wood moulding that'll do the trick (and it didn't seem that expensive the last time I looked like a year ago).

oh wow, your room is REALLY REALLY SMALL...and i forgot that you had your RC-7s mounted sideways. oh well, so much for bright ideas.

I'd go ahead and go your route, but wait on the insulation around the speakers and all that...Wait until you hear the resonation crap and then go from there. You might want to consider leaving some openings in the back or some vents through the neighbor joists to help vent the rear ports...or you could just trade in all those speakers for the new RB-75's or something similar that have the front ports 2.gif

For the record I just wanted to say, this sucks. There is no easy way to build these so called cradels. Not only do I need to build something that can allow for enough air movement behind the ports, but I also have to figure out a way to secure the speaker to the cradle itself so that when I tilt them downward, they don't fall.

Did you remember to twirl your horns like I told ya?

See, if you would have bought little Bose cubes you wouldn't be having all these problems now would you?:)

I like your idea Rick, should work just fine. I think you HT guys are more paranoid than us two channel guys. Hell, if it was me I'd just hang the damn things from the ceiling with big arse eyelets and chain. 9.gif

Either way I go, I'm planning on building into my wall a cove, an insert, a self or what have ya. I need to get some space behind those ports. I just can't help but think it will be a major pain in the butt to create 4 inserts in my wall for the 4 RC7s. Not only that, but I keep getting that nagging thought in my head that 4 RC7s surrounds will generate audio anomalies.

It's such a trade off. Proper placement of surrounds and good surround coverage for at least 6 of my seats, or better overall sound quality... It's a very difficult choice for me. I do not like the sound of missplaced surrounds.

I think Dean really has the right idea. Can't tell you how many studios I have seen where the speakers are hung from chain. When I worked at WHBQ TV in Memphis, the adjoining radio station had some beautiful JBL monitors with walnut veneer. They were turned horizontal. On each end, they attached T-straps. Those metal reinforcing things you see on wooden screen doors, etc. Then they used S-hooks and chain. They tilted down at the angle they wanted and sounds just fine.

Of course, this would void the warranty. 9.gif

Marvel