Here is a nice crossover tweak for you.

BEC

"The highly conductive liquid squishes into the places the metals don't, preventing future corrosion by locking out air, and also increases the contact surface area. The products are very good, and backed by some hard science -- and they ain't cheap either."

The active ingredient in Caig D5 is non-conductive.

When a signal is present it acts like a tunnel diode, it has less resistance than a straight bare metal to bare metal interface.

The less you use the better it works.

The military already uses it.

On amplifiers with PC edge or Molex type connectors it makes a very large difference for virtually zero time and material.

A long time ago I was having a problem with a Phase Linear 4000 preamp. A PL tech. advised me not to use "contact cleaners", but just spray a little WD40 or CRC on the contacts-even for microvolt signals. Been doing that ever since-it lasts many months indoors. I even spray car/motorcycle battery posts and terminals BEFORE hooking them up. Works good on tube pins too.

We wouldn't need it if all the manufacturers used gold plating on connectors like the telephone people do.

Agreed, with gold/gold connections a cleaner/lubricant only contributed in the area of removing foreign debris .. no corrosion.

The WD-40 suggestion is interesting .. obviously similar properties. I haven't investigated WD-40 myself, so can't personally recommend it, but it may be close or equivalent. In some automotive applications I've seen grease used.

With similar metals, corrosion and debris are the biggest problems. With dissimilar metals there is possible Galvanic action which accelerates corrosion, just making that problem worse.

Dean's description is close to my understanding .. possibly with more chemistry than I would understand. Wherever the metal/metal bond is not air tight, corrosion eventually developes, creeps into the airtite regions and impedances increase. The lubricant coating inhibits oxidation at the non air tight locations thus slowing to process. The result, more time betwen re-tightening.

By the way, for tubes, the Caig "DeOxit" is excellent on pins and sockets in preventing problems in those connections, esp. the extreamely low curent grid connections.

Caig's website: http://www.caig.com

Leo

"Interesting Dennis, where did you learn that? Just curious."

Caig products were written up about 25 years ago in Audio Amateur. Caig was more forthcoming about the product then. The AA article even discussed making your own D5 and D2 using the base liquid (RED) and mixing with Freon.

The contacts must be re-treated after any solvent cleaning or soldering operation.

Mark,

I have also heard that WD-40 is hygroscopic and attracts moisture. This would be an interesting phenomenon since the name WD-40 literally means "Water displacement, 40th attempt".

However, in the wild wacky world of chemicals, both claims could be true. It could both displace moisture initially and absorb moisture over the long term. This is the reason major industries are reluctant to try new chemicals and other products. They are always thinking "This stuff really seems to be nice, but I wonder how we will feel about it years down the road. I may be one of the few that reads the MSDS for chemical products before I use them. That is where the company should totally disclose ingredients. If you look at the sheet for Caig products, you will see that they use a loop-hole to avoid disclosing their "active ingredient" and instead just call it Non-Hazardous and a "lubricant" and say that it smells like mineral oil. (You have to read the data sheets for more than one of their products to find all three of those qualities mentioned). That should mean it is on the list (which I can't seem to find anymore) of substances that have been in common use without toxicity problems for decades. Might be mineral oil with one or more inert ingredients added. Of course, (Hint), the MSDS has a phone number where a health professional should be able to get the full story on undisclosed ingredients.

Bob

Some years ago one of the motorcycle mags. ran a bunch of drive-chain lube tests. They measured the chain temp. and amount of stretch after running it in a rig of some sort, and then left test samples somewhere (outside-?) for rusting resistance. WD40 ran very hot and had a lot of chain wear-but it doesn't claim to be a lubricant on the can--at least it didn't back then. I don't know what they claim now, but I remember that Honda's policy was that it would void the chain warrantee if WD40 were used instead of an approved chain lube for some of their bikes/trikes/4 wheelers.

BUT, the interesting thing for this forum is that the cycle mag. noted that WD40 DID provide some amount of corrosion protection for chains-which rust fast if dry.

Benesesso

Well I use WD40 a lot - but actually mainly for its intended purpose - unsticking things.

My Dad argues that it is one of only 2 tools a man needs. The other being duct-tape.

If it moves and it shouldn't use the duct tape.

If it doesnt move and it should use the WD40.

Makes life nice and simple, but, never, ever put anything of any weight whatsoever on a shelf my Dad put up.

A lesson I learned early in life.