Yamaha Power Amp / Klipsch LaScala's

Hello,

I own a Yamaha (MX1000U) Power Amp and I have it connected to Klipsch LaScala speakers. (Quite the beast when it sounds right).I have owned this since the early 90's. In any case, The amplifier has a red left & right bar for power output. The problem I am having is the right channel bar reads lower than the left bar. The right speaker is not producing full sound. The left is fine. Once in a while - the right speaker will kick in to full sound and it will last for a while and then cut back out again. Sometimes it stays full sound (both speakers) for kind of a long time. But then the right channel kicks down again and stays that way for a long time. I am wondering if someone can please give me input if they think the problem is amp related or speaker ?

Thank you very much . Best Regards . Steve Johnson (Minnesota)

----------------

On 4/23/2004 10:57:46 AM steve johnson wrote:

I am wondering if someone can please give me input if they think the problem is amp related or speaker ?

----------------

Hi Steve... my guess? your amp.

Switch your speaker wires & if the problem "moves' with the wire, you KNOW it's the amp.

If problem stays with speaker, then you know to look further there.

Yep, it is the amplifier, not the speakers. The speaker switching relays get dirty/dusty or worse if you are a smoker over time and need cleaning. Also the protection circuit may need to be cleaned as well. Worse case scenario is the outputs in the right channel are dying. Usually if it is a relay a quick jolt of the volume control will bring the channel back to 100% or if you engage/disengage the speaker selector switch on the front that the speakers are connected to. It is a common problem with an amps that is 15 years old or so. One of my DBX amps from the same era does that on occassion. Definately worth getting serviced though.

The MX-1000U is one of the best amplifiers that Yamaha ever produced and can run Class A up to around 30 watts which should make it a nice clean sounding amp when paired with Klipsch. Even though it has a 260 Watt per channel rating you will never use that much but it means tons of headroom. Got to love the realtime wattmeter centered between the dual bar graph LED display.

----------------

On 4/23/2004 11:44:25 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Definately worth getting serviced though.

The MX-1000U is one of the best amplifiers that Yamaha ever produced and can run Class A up to around 30 watts which should make it a nice clean sounding amp when paired with Klipsch. Even though it has a 260 Watt per channel rating you will never use that much but it means tons of headroom. Got to love the realtime wattmeter centered between the dual bar graph LED display.

----------------

DITTO!!!!!!!!

av.

Actually it sound like an intermitant connection rather than something going "south"...although could be either at this point.

I would recommend taking the amp cover off (do not electrocute yerself) and vacuuming it out (again careful, and use a plastic hose attachment). I would then asure myself that the connection wires at the output connectors to the outpur stage are clean and correct. Check for solder oxidation.

If that proves to be all well and good, then it could be a cap goin "south".

DM

Before you start tearing into that amp...switch the wires on your speakers to opposite channel sides and see if the problem stays on the same speaker. If it does, then it isn't the amp. Rule 1 is try the simplest trouble-shoot first! If the problem stays on the same speaker then the most likely culprit is the simplest fix! Check to ensure the connectors to the speaker on the channel you are having problem with are tight. First check the main speaker wires to the crossover network for tightness....this is where the intermittent problem at ALL frequencies could happen. If the problem exists ONLY in the bass frequencies, then the terminal connector up inside the rear of the LaScala cabinet where the woofer wires connect to pass the signal through to the woofer inside the bass bin. As you face the rear of the cabinet and look inside it...it will be about midway up inside the opening to the left of the midrange horn body, if I remember correctly...you will see a wire going from the crossover network to it. If that terminal moves at all instead of being TIGHT against the wood there, then you need to tighten the terminal down, thereby securing that inside connector. Once in a while they may NOT have been secured as tightly as they SHOULD have been, and if one of those screws begins to loosen enough over time, it will cause the wire terminal inside the doghouse to hang loosely from the screw body....resulting in a very poor intermittent connection to JUST THE WOOFER...depending upon the vibrations getting to the cabinet itself. If it seems loose or your moving the speaker makes a rattling sound coming from inside the bass bin, then you have to remove the bottom (woofer access door) and tighten that connection from the inside of the doghouse. As recent of manufacture as your LaScalas are, I doubt anything else could possibly be wrong with the speakers that could end up being the culprit here...after trying that, if nothing changes, look to the amp for the problem.

• 2 weeks later...