heresy problem

bryan750

Just purchased a pair of heresys off of ebay and 1 of the speakers causes the protection circuit of my receiver to come on.I get a little sound then the proetction circuit kicks on ,any ideas which componet of the speaker would cause this i am leaning toward the crossover but i am not sure yet.

If you are sure you don't have any loose strands touching each other at the receiver's binding posts, then yes -- it probably is something inside the speaker. Probably just a loose or broken connection, with the wire grounding against something. Open her up and take a peek.

Make sure it is the speaker. Swap the L & R speakers and make sure the problem follows. If it does, unscrew the back and make sure nothing came loose during shipment. No change? Unhook the drivers one at a time from the X-over starting with the tweeter. Leaving them disconnected as you go to keep from overloading the tweeter and squaker. Then report back your results.

Rick

----------------

On 4/23/2004 7:04:49 PM bryan750 wrote:

Just purchased a pair of heresys off of ebay and 1 of the speakers causes the protection circuit of my receiver to come on.I get a little sound then the proetction circuit kicks on ,any ideas which componet of the speaker would cause this i am leaning toward the crossover but i am not sure yet.

----------------

Does anyone know how to trouble shoot the crossover?

byran,

The most likely cause of your problem is a shorted woofer voice coil. The best way to trouble shoot the x-over is to swap one for the other unless you have an LC meter and can measure the caps. What is the DC resistance of the K-22s voice coil? When you gently push in on the cone do you hear or feel any grit?

Rick

I'm unsure.

Is it always one which kicks off the amp circuit. Question.

If you switch them, is it always that one. Question.

Does that one sound bad. Question. If it sounds okay before the cut out, there may be no flaw in the speaker.

I suspect that the amp does not like the low impedance of either Heresy.

My amp does not cut off. It is too primitive. However, I have make up an autotransformer from Radio Shack 70 volt line transformer to reduce the load on the amp.

I don't know if you want to try this sort of thing but I'd be happy to loan my set up (wired with banana plugs) to you so you can experiment.

Gil

I received you private message, and have been following the thread. I'm still curious if you switched the speakers around, and whether the problem followed the speaker, or stayed on the same channel.

You might also try hooking up another spare set of speakers if you have them -- just to see how the receiver behaves.

To rule out whether or not the voicecoil in the woofer is shorted, remove the driver, use a AA battery, and put the driver leads on each end of the battery. If the driver is O.K., it will respond to the voltage of the battery. If the coil is shorted, it won't do anything. If the driver is cooked, a replacement can be purchased from Klipsch.