Canadian Jazz

garymd

I was scanning my latest pile of thrift store lps tonight when I came across a sealed copy of "Jazz Canadiana" with Roger Simard and gave it a spin. It was recorded in January, 1973, CBC Monteal. Very interesting stuff. Lots going on. Huge ensemble. 9 members to be exact. Saxophones, flutes, piccolos, trumphets, flugelhorns, trombone, bass trombone, guitar, bass and drums. Really good recording too.

Anyone familiar with them?

Also, any heard of Hal Keller. Found a copy of The Hal Keller Trio plays Hal Keller. The album title is "Debut!" Haven't listened to it yet. Too many lps to go through in one night.3.gif

I'm not familiar with Roger Simard but will sure as hell be looking for his stuff on the strength of your recommendation --- Thanks for the tip !

Here are some other Canucks I recommend you look for in the Folk and Jazz area:

Gordon Lightfoot.... Canadian Railroad Trilogy.... GL produced a number of great and a number of not so great recordings but this one still blows many away 30+ years later.He is still around but not especially prominent these days. That said I suspect he still has a few hits in him if he decided to make a run at his Glory days with Ian and Sylvia,Bob Dylan,Joan Baez etc.(Yes folks he was a significant player in that bunch).

Joni Mitchell....Anything she ever recorded.

Buffy Saint Marie....As above

Ian Tyson and/or Ian and Sylvia

Ian Tyson...Really listen to his songs... He is not jst a singer He is a singer/poet....Trust me!

Quartet..... Delicious !.... Sylvia Tyson leads a group of exceptionally talented female singers.

( I actually am on first name terms with Cindy Church who is a founding member of Quartet !! She bought an egg timer from me when I had a second hand store in High River Alberta when she lived here .... A very nice lady and one hell of a singer).

At the time Cindy and her partner were members of The Great Western Orchestra and I had the great pleasure of hiring the group to play at my store ( In the days when they actually needed the money). The group broke up shortly after and my store went bust but those events are unrelated..... I kept telling her to sing Happy Trails .... she's still in biz and I ain't ...How can you account for public taste ???

Guy Lombardo .....Big Band .... Don't laugh there are some real gems to be had ! Whiteman/Miller/Goodman/James et al produced a lot of dross too but there were many

gems too be had and Lombardo had some great offerings also.

Jack Kane .... Big Band and very sophisticated ... Look for Jack Kane is Very Able ..... hard to find and pricey unless you score a yard sale find ....As I did ....9.gif

Moe Koffman....Jazz Flute various albums. Swinging Shepherd Blues is his best known single but there is a hell of a lot more to him than that single...Give a listen to Moe koffman.. The Four Seasons, Koffman Does Bach and also Back to Bach.

Kate and Anna McGarrigle .... Almost anything they ever released. Typically they are folky but not entirely so ... Most of their stuff is upbeat but if you are actually ready to cut your throat at some point don't listen to their Hearbeats Accelerating album ( Plays Hell with the Plush ).

Phil Nimmons/Nimmons and Six/Nimmons and Nine etc.... Sophisticated big band/large group ala Brubeck and Jack Kane. Great !!

Never heard them but I know all the words to the McKenzie Brother's Oh, he's a lumberjack and he's ok".

Just kidding. Sounds good I'll check it out as soon as Sargeant Preston get's

Pauline of the train tracks.

Just kidding again, I'm feeling puckish tonight.

Just got through side 1 before Master and Commander took over. I liked what I heard so far and like I said, very interesting sound. It was brand spankin' new! Usually that means it's really bad when a 30 yr old lp gets to the thrift shop without ever being opened.6.gif I'll let you know when I've heard the rest. If you guys up north can find any info on these guys, that would be great.

I figure Allan has heard of every jazz artist that's ever been recorded so I'm hoping he jumps in at some point.

----------------

On 4/24/2004 12:00:02 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Never heard of it!

----------------

LMAO. I had to quote this for historical purposes. This HAS to be a first! Maybe I'll send it to you just for kicks. I'd like to know what you think.

BTW Lynn,

Thanks for the recommendations. I have quite a few GL lps in my collection which I haven't listened to in ages. Maybe it's time to pull some out. I'll also check out some of your other picks.