Front Firing vs. Down Firing - opinions wanted

Tenhet

I presently do not have a sub, but will get one very soon. Wanting some opinions of down firing vs. front/side firing.

Any suggestions on some for me to listen/try within $600 max price range. Just want a starting point.

Scott

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - KG1.2v (Walnut oil)

Rear - Optimus (haha)

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

Depends, If you want bass you can feel thru the floor, get down firing, if you want bass in your face and chest, get side firing. For THX and others I've heard both and the real impact comes from down firing. I'm not like the rest though.... I'm not a sub pussie just wanting it to be barely there and hardly hearable, I want it arrogant in sound Smile.gif My side firing dual sub sux compared to my single downfiring, my down is a Cerwin Vega and my dual side is a Klip. too bad there Frown.gif

Tenhet, I have a dozen subwoofers here and two more on the way... they include front and floor firing. Of the two, I much prefer floor firing... especially when they have a built in deflector plate. Like the k-horns get more punch from using corners to extend their effect, floor firing subs take a greater initial effect from the corners as well. I believe that a great subwoofer is the cornerstone of most great sound systems. I set the six speakers of my 6.1 system to "SMALL" and let the sub do its duty. That approach has been paying off for my guests and I since before ProLogic was a household world.

I also have pet ideas about center speakers as the other cornerstone of HT systems. More later. cwm20.gif Some of the work is in progress. HornEd

------------------

"A Klipsch Powered HT Where Legends Live!"

Front Sound Stage:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

Background Sound Stage:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

Large Mouth Bass:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra / Samson 1000 Subwoofer

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall II Music Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-08-2001 at 10:06 PM

Thanks guys..... Down-firing it is... Now any suggestions for brand/size? I have KSW-15 in mind. I figure since there's only $100 difference between the KSW-12 and 15, why not go bigger!! Also, from many posts I have read that KSW-15 is superior to the 12.

I really don't have an available corner to put one in. I suppose the next best thing is along the wall somewhere. I have an idea of locating it under an end-table but I guess I will have to try several locations.

Any brand/size suggestions???? Wanting to hold the price down to $600 or less. What about the new Klipsch subs coming out? If and when this happens, will the KSW line be discontinued?

Scott

------------------

Center - KG1.2v (Walnut oil)Black Academy coming soon!! WOO HOO!!

Rear - Optimus (haha)

CD - Denon DCM-320

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

This message has been edited by Tenhet on 07-09-2001 at 08:36 PM

Can't VSV subs.

Velodyne price appear to range from $1,200 to $3,000, are there any less expensive?

Been checking out the SVS sub website. Impressive and prices aren't that bad. But are still kinda out of my present budget.

------------------

Center - KG1.2v (Walnut oil) Black Academy coming soon!! WOO HOO!!!

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

CD - Denon DCM-320

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

check here for the Quake and Titan subs

http://www.audioc.com/

Velodynes are good, and price depends on what you get. The CT-120 is a "common" sub from them that seems to get a lot of good press for $400-$500. Still can't decide between that and the Quake. Even though the Quake is 2 8" woofers, it will supposedly thunder like the Velodyne and is a lot tighter for music. You can catch a few reviews of these at audioreview, just don't go into the message boards unless you like to fight...

-Rich

Tenhet, you are correct in opting for KSW-15 over a KSW-12... the benefits to you are worth far more than a $100 bill... and it is minimally what you should try to build your system around. Those who recommended SVS were also well intended. SVSubwoofers is a tiny company that probably provides more subwoofer bang for the buck than any other. They are good and honest folks from all accounts that I have heard. While I have four Klipsch subs, the pride of my sub collection is a new Twin SVS CS-Ultra with all the trimmings.

As I have said on this board many times, buy the best subwoofer and center speaker you can afford... and build the rest of your system around them if your goal is HT. If music is your primary ambition, than make the mains the cornerstone of your system.

Fortunately, when most of the primary speakers bear the Klipsch name... you are well suited for HT or music, since great horns tell the truth... and that works for either venue. cwm38.gif those horns... HornEd

HornEd:

I have looked at various SVS subs to balance out the Mid/High freq of the Ref-3's. Are you hooking your SVS CS-Ultra next to your KLF-30's and using the "sub-out" or are you conecting them in series to the main outputs of L/R channels?

I am looking forward to a hot time tomorrow, DrPyro, that's when the Twin CS-Ultras are scheduled to arrive. It has been said that having a better quality of life is a matter of having something to look forward to... and so, my pyrotechnic expectations are off the dial awaiting my part of the first commercial shipment of these puppies... or hot dogs as the case may be.

The consensus is to mount them together in the corner, but I shall also try them flanking the mains (toward the outside) as well to test for directional coloration and perceived evenness of sound pressure waves in relation to the 65" monitor. This system is first and foremost an experiment to bring pleasure and heighten cognitive awareness for nonagenarian ears. I already have a dozen 12" Klipsch and four 10" woofers (6 KLF 30's + 2 KLF 10's) in a confined space... to which 2 more SVS 12" woofers (each with 97 oz Strontium magnets) are being added. Headroom issues are likely to abound!

So, experimentation will be the rule of every day for awhile. And, while I have some preconceived notions of hook-ups and positions... I expect to run the gamut with my trusty analog SPL meter close at hand (err, tripod). Of course, DrPyro, "balance" is a watchword for me too. I look forward to answering your specific query on tomorrow's experience rather than today's supposition.

I have long been an advocate of having a solid bass upon which a Klipsch horn loaded array can do its special thing. I also tend to arrange my speaker arrays to shape standing waves so that the sound in the sweet spot is intense... and, yet, the neighborhood doesn't HAVE to "enjoy" every shade and nuance.

I must confess that I feel a bit uncomfortable talking about a competitor's new product on the web site that Klipsch makes available to us... but in the end I have come to the realization that I have spent a lot more money and provided a lot more enjoyment in using Klipsch products... and that the rise or fall of this Twin SVS CS-Ultra will depend upon how well they showcase this bevy of Hope built beauties. cwm38.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-11-2001 at 05:05 AM