KSW-10 versus KSW-12 ?

JohnESwanson

I am planning a home theater, and I was considering the KSW-10 or the KSW-12 for the sub. I have not had a chance to listen to the KSW-12, but did listen to the KSW-10. I was surprised at how much sound it put out. It seemed to put out too much. I could easily tell where it was in the room. Maybe it was set too loud. Anyhow, I was wondering if its' frequency response (upto 120Hz before dropping off) had anything to do with it. Any thoughts on this versus the KSW-12 (response upto 100Hz)?

Also, the KSW-12 has speaker outputs so you can run the left and right speakers through it and filter off the lows so the fronts don't have to reproduce the sub 100Hz frequencies. I am thinking of SB-3s (52-20kHz) for the fronts. Should I run them through the sub or direct?

Any thoughts on KSW-10 versus KSW-12 ?

Home Theater config:

Room size = 18x23 (only one end for home theater)

Front = Klipsch SB-3s

Center = Klipsch SC-1

Rear = Klipsch SCR-3 (in ceiling)

Sub = Klipsch KSW-10 or KSW-12 ?

Thanks for your commments!

------------------

John S.

Hi John,

I can't comment on the KSW-12's, but have a pair of KSW-10's in the same size room. I like the way they sound. They seem to have a nice tight response, but they don't have the same low frequency response and SPL of a larger speaker. I started off with one then found another one cheap.

The cut-off frequency difference won't matter between the two. Most HT receivers using the LFE output will cut-off at 80-90 Hz. If you wire your SB-3's through the sub bandpass filter, you will want to set the sub cut-off to compliment the SB-3 low frequency response somewhere between 50 & 100 Hz. With my old Yamaha receiver, without LFE output, I set the sub crossover at about 75 Hz with my SF-2's and it sounded pretty good. With my new Yamaha receiver, with LFE output, the sub crossover can be set at 120 Hz since the receiver output is already cut-off at 90 Hz.

For rear surrounds I have RS-3's mounted at the ceiling wall intersection using angled mounts to point them at the listening position. There is a bedroom above so I couldn't use ceiling mounted speakers.

I think you will be happy with either sub. You will also hear good things, even on this BBS, about SVS subs if you have room for them. I want to build a horn loaded sub when I have time, but with kids that may be some time away.

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

ksw15

or svs.

the reason you could hear where it came fromso easily is that it was poorly set up, i.e. the xover was set too high, and the sub was reproducing higher frequencies that should have gone to the mains.

there is no such thing as a sub putting out too much.

:-)

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

John, part of your problem seems to be in the grey area of bass management affecting subwoofer performance. By limiting the frequencies handled by the sub in your preamp or, possibly, in the sub itself, one may be able to shape non-directional bass of a sub to seamlessly interface with the directional bass of the mains.

Let's reduce your problem to pizza terms...

"Quintet Special" 10" (29 lb) with a 225 watt "topping"... $3.99

"The Favorite" 12" (35 lb)with almost TWICE the "topping" plus an extra 3 dB of SPL sauce... $4.99

You're getting a lot more for that extra John buck.

In the end, it's all about moving more air with greater precision... and in Klipsch pizza terms that's a 15" (45 lb) with a whopping 800 watt topping, and a full BASH 121 dB of SPL sauce... all for $7.99

And those are MSRP values... who knows what you can get with the Reference subs looming on the Fall horizon?

For building a better HT rig... put your money on the best sub you can afford first... it is the "gut level" satisfaction on which every high-minded sound must be built. As JMON might say, "speakers change with every wild hare... but it's the SUBstantial tortoise that provides a winning margin." (Sorry, JMON, I was reaching for an avatar analogy authority figure... Bugs lacked sound credentials... and Boa's such a mellow Velo... and thereby hangs the cottontale!)

Sorry Shakespearian playgoers, but... after all, the "horns" the thing! cwm35.gif HornEd

Great analogy HornEd!!! I keep learning more and more each trip to the BB. I am beginning to catch on to all the technical terms, but when broken down to the very simple helps soooooo much.

Scott

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - KG1.2v (Walnut oil) Black Academy coming soon!! WOO HOO!!!

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

John: To be honest, i would avoid both subs. I have a KSW-12 and have not been really happy with it. It often seems muddled and dull. I have moved it more times then i can count and tried different wiring schemes to try and improve the sound, not to any great sucess. And HornEd is absolutely correct that the base management on the most popular recievers (Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha/Sony/etc) is not what most of us would like. I would look at either SVS or Velo. However, i would be very intrested in the new reference subs when they apear cwm4.gif

The only reason i got the KSW-12 is that it was included free with my Reference system.

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12