denon LFE+Main?

I just wanted to get an idea of what the denon owners are using as speaker settings. I am due to receive my new SVS PC+2039 this week and can't wait to hook it up.

I was going through my manual last night and if you have your mains set to "large" you have a "subwoofer mode" option of "LFE" or "LFE + Main". I'll have to play around with it myself to see what I like best, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

I have RF35 mains which are capable of playing fairly low frequencies, down to 37 hertz. Will I be cutting them short if I choose "LFE"?

I have the Denon 5803 and Chorus II's. I have my subwoofer setting as LFE (only). Considering the Chorus II's can handle the main bass reproduction, I thought it was unnecessary to route this through the subwoofer. Of course my BagEnd recommends routing all main output through the InfraSub but I think the Denon handles the filtering and routing just fine. This would seem to bypass some of the advanced processing of the InfraSub but I am happy with the setup as-is.

I have the 3802 and I used to have KLF-30's and ran the LFE + Main with those and though had plenty of bass didn't like the LFE channel going through my fronts. Use your subwoofer for what it's built for, direct LFE signal. Especially with that killer SVS sub your getting. Let your fronts just handle their dynamic range and leave the LFE to your sub. I realized this after my RSW-15 purchase.

But, as always, it's up to your ears ... experiment and get back to us on what you like!

The way you guys are wording it, it sounds like you think using the reciever in LFE + Main means that your main channels are recieving LFE information.

What this really means is that you are allowing your main channels to recieve full frequencies from 20Hz to 20KHz, and activating the LFE channel of the reciever, sending a signal to your sub. If you chose LFE ONLY, then a high-pass crossover is engauged, cutting your main channels off at the crossover point (80, 90, 100, or 120Hz usually).

Funny thing is, I have actually been playing around with this today on my Yamaha. After doing some A/B listening, I prefer LFE + Main because when the reciever cuts the bass to my KG 5.5s, the midrange gets thin and lifeless sounding.

Like others said above, just play with it some and see what you like best.

chops is exactly right. my question is, in the manual it seems to suggest that LFE+main is only possible in surround and in 2channel the mains are still crossed over. Does anyone know if the LFE+mains works in both 2channel and surround Modes? or is the 2channel's mains frequency cut no matter what when a sub is selected in the menu?

Good idea. I'm going to break open the manual and do some testing tonight to see if I can get to some resolution about the LFE setting. I wish the tech writers over at Denon could write a better manual. Anyone else have any gripes about the way their manuals are put together? They seemed hard to understand in the way they were written. Maybe that's why we're all confused about their LFE + Main feature ...

I have a Denon 4800, so I'll throw my 2 cents in as well... This is based on my experience with my receiver. So if Denon has changed anything in the past couple of years, your results may be different.

In 2-channel, using a standard stereo signal (from a CD), if I have my sub turned on in the setup and my front speakers are set to Large, I get bass from the sub and the fronts regardless of whether I choose "LFE+THX" or "LFE+Main". There doesn't appear to be any difference soundwise. Next...

In 2-channel, using a standard stereo signal (from a CD), if I have my sub turned on in the setup and my front speakers are set to Small, I automatically get bass from the sub which has been routed from the fronts (everything under 80Hz as my crossover is fixed). The choice of "LFE+THX" or "LFE+Main" does not appear if you choose small for the front speakers. Next...

In 2-channel, using a standard stereo signal (from a CD), if I have my sub turned off in the setup then the front speakers default to Large, and of course you get no bass from the sub. Fronts handle the full range and there is no choice of "LFE+THX" or "LFE+Main". Next...

In 5.1-channel, using a DVD, if I have my sub turned on in the setup and my front speakers are set to Large, I get to choose where the bass gets routed.

If I choose "LFE+THX" then each of the fronts gets it's own full range signal, and the "left bass" (anything under 80 Hz) stays in the left front and the "right bass" (anything under 80 Hz) stays in the right front. The LFE signal in this instance only goes to the sub, along with any bass from any channel set to small. Next...

If I choose "LFE+Main" (with fronts set to Large) then each of the fronts gets it's own full range signal, in addition to the LFE signal. And the sub gets the LFE signal, in addition to the bass from the fronts. Next...

In 5.1-channel, using a DVD, if I have my sub turned on in the setup and my front speakers are set to Small, then the sub gets the LFE signal, in addition to all bass under 80Hz. There is no choice of "LFE+THX" or "LFE+Main".

And to address the comment from "chops"... The Denon receivers do route the LFE to the fronts in the instances I mentioned above. This IS different than your Yamaha.

Tony

Home Theater: Denon AVR-4800, Chorus II, KLF-C7, Def Tech BP2X, Def Tech PF15TL+, Sony CDP-102, Pioneer DV-563A.

2-Channel: Carver 6250, Cornwalls WO (1976), Sony DVP-S5500.

Just laying around: Pioneer SX-3800.

My Denon 1082 (3802) works like this....

When only "LFE" is selected in the setup menu, the only signals produced by the subwoofer are LFE (low frequency effects) signals from a Dolby digital or DTS soundtrack, and the low freq. signal range of channels set to "small" in the setup menu. The low freq. signal range of speakers set to "large" is produced from those channels...not the sub.

When the "LFE+Mains" setting is selected, the low freq. signal range of channels set to "large" is produced simultaneously from those channels and the subwoofer.

I hope this helps.

ok, basically the subwoofer settings LFE and LFE+mains is just that "a subwoofer setting". The only thing this setting controls is whether the sub "also" plays the main channel's low frequencies. Since you have to select large for mains to activate this feature the mains play there full frequency range regardless of "LFE" or "LFE + main" selection(This does not include the "official LFE channel in DD & DTS), their output is never changed unless you select them as small, then the crossover applies its setting (40, 60, 80, 120hz, ect..) and you do not have the LFE choices anyway. So in conclusion, the only way to munipulate the mains is by "large" or "small" settings. If "small" is selected the mains are cut and this is output by the sub. If "large" is selected the mains play full range regardless, because of this choice, and then you have to determine what the sub will play, just LFE or LFE plus the mains frequencies simultaneously with the mains plus any speakers bass set to small. If this is wrong I'm starting a campaign for Denon to issue new versions of their sucky manuals.14.gif

I think GPBUSA's sentance sums it up for me,

"If I choose "LFE+Main" (with fronts set to Large) then each of the fronts gets it's own full range signal, in addition to the LFE signal. And the sub gets the LFE signal, in addition to the bass from the fronts."

If this is true, then I don't see why anyone would want to choose LFE+Main. Can anyone tell me why you would want to send the LFE signal to the Main channels when and decent sub will do it better anyway?

----------------

On 5/4/2004 9:41:29 PM audiophile in AZ wrote:

rckpls, let me get this straght. If I set my 4802 to LFE+Main, does this basically eliminate a crossover for the main channels? If I set it to LFE only, the main channels are cut at the crossover point? This shouldn't be this difficult to understand, but I'm struggling.

----------------

When the LFE+Main setting is selected in the setup menu, the receivers crossover will only be effective when your speakers are set to "small". If your speakers are set to "large", all frequencies, including the LFE signals from DD or DTS sountracks, are simultaneously sent to the "large" speakers and the subwoofer.