New HT folks may be interested in this!

endover

I've got lots to learn but I'm havin a good time with it!

I just got my HK7200 and have been struggling with it because it wasn't producing the Thunderous bass and channel separation that I was expecting from a receiver of that price. My assumption is that "I" was doing something wrong and it wasn't the receiver's fault. My assumption turned out to be correct!

I called HK directly and they were Super helpful!

This is probably "Home Theater 101" but.....it turns out that my Sony DVD player is the problem. I didn't realize that in the original setup of the DVD player that I had to change the Audio Set Up to Dolby Digital and also Turn DTS ON. The original defaults for those settings are "OFF".

I'll spend more time with it tonight but everytime I go back to it, it just gets better and better!

Maybe this will help someone else!

Absolutely right! I literally sat and watched my setup for about six weeks, never getting Dolby Digital or DTS, and could not figure out why. Turns out I have a Sony player as well - you HAVE to tell it what to put out!!

I could have used this information sooner3.gif

Popbumper

----------------

On 5/5/2004 5:45:16 PM b-man1 wrote:

yup...not sure why many dvd players come with the default setting of OFF for DD/DTS outputs. doesn't make much sense...considering it wouldn't matter if they were ON and you didn't use that feature.

----------------

Yeah, who knows? I'd be willing to bet they have that turned off because most people don't even have surround-sound setups. That is, the DVD player is connected directly to the TV. Just to be sure that there is no problems, they turn off the DD/DTS outputs (when off, probably an easier load on the DACs, thus providing a slightly better picture - just a wild theory on my part).

I'd be willing to bet that a good 90-95% of the DVD players are hooked up directly to TV's. Except those of my friends on here, just about everybody that I know that has a DVD player, including my parents, are watched only with the TV. The couple of friends that I know that do have surround sound are mostly either the cheapo $300 Wally*World HTiB sets or Bose setups. I am the only one that I know off of my local friends here that has a full-on high-end HT setup.

This thread make me go and double-check that I got those output on in my DVD player. (I know DD is on, but I better make sure DTS is on, since I did have some trouble getting my setup to recognize DTS soundtracks when the DVD had them).

Totally understandable, don't laugh but I Purchased my first AV reciever in DEC 1999 (Pioneer VSX-D608s) as well as a dvd player (DV-414). The Dolby Digital/DTS was "turned on" sometime in 2001. I never dealt with anything other than stereo recievers before so I hooked up a couple of RCA cables, tossed the instructions (something I'll never do angain), and wondered why everything was so sloppy. Then a friend of mine came by and told me I had to "purchase" a digital cable and turn DD/DTS on in the DVD player, until then I thought everything I needed came with the reciever. Anyway, how would someone know unless they read the instructions right? It was pretty new to the average consumer and until then all I knew was analog. Well have fun, and in case no one has told you I'm accepting any good AV reciever from anyone that wants to give them away...I'll even pay for shipping9.gif

----------------

yup...not sure why many dvd players come with the default setting of OFF for DD/DTS outputs. doesn't make much sense...considering it wouldn't matter if they were ON and you didn't use that feature.
----------------

Actually, maybe not for DD, but for dts, if you try to play a dts disc through analog outputs, it gives off a noise which could damage your equipment. Not that I've ever tried it.

I totally agree with you on the whole "manual" thing!

I'm a mechanical engineer with "common sense" smarts and not necessarily book smarts and I HATE it when I read manuals that were written "BY" the designers "FOR" the designers! I've heard it geniously spoken many times "I don't want to build the watch, I just want to know what time it is".

Give me the details in case I want to go further but then tell me the practical(listening) aspects of WHY a setting is preferred over another setting.

I know its a little more work and you can't please everyone but it seems to me that they don't even try. AAAAAARGH!

----------------

----------------

to make ME look like a GENIUS when i do a service call/install!3.gif2.gif

avman.