"THX" rated

ncsubum

its 4:30 in the morning on the dawn of my moving day...the cars packed...the rf-7's are in the back seat covered w/towels and pillows (me getting two rf-7's in the back seat of my 98 v6 accord BY MYSELF with absolutely no dings, dents, or scratches proves that rome could have been built in a day)...anyway...

since one of my roomates is being so kind as to blast the fast and the furious in the livingroom waking me up from my not-so-deep moving anxiety stricken sleep i figured i'd entertain myself on the klipsch page

looking at the promedia 4.2 set i see that it is "THX" rated whereas the r(f,s,c)-7 line is not...just wondering if there is any reason they aren't thx rated while the lesser performing pc speakers are. has the reference line just never been tested? did the guys in marketing not feel it was important to label them as such since they obviously have the performance required? do i need to trade all my stuff up for a set of 4.2's cause i'm missing the true thx experience?

blah! the rating doesn't mean much to me since my reference stuff blows away everybody elses HT i know thx rated or not...i'm just curious as to why they are not rated when it seems they perform above and beyond that of most others.

also...who do i need to contact to get some of the famous klipsch "bullsh^!" pins/stickers? cause i'd love to go around putting them on other peoples gear i feel is less than satisfactory

thanks,

chris

THX certification requires that the front three speakers be identical. See the THX Ultra2 speakers from Klipsch for an example. There are many other requirements for THX speakers that deal with dispersion and other matters.

Many folks like THX speakers for movies, but are not as happy with music through THX speakers. The certification process is expensive and time consuming. Hence there are many companies that do not bother with certification for speakers.

THX has more relevance with processors and amplifiers IMO. However, most of the refinements from THX have been emulated by non-THX processors.

Bill

THX is a legacy from the days of Dolby Pro logic before we had discreet channels. The worth of THX is very little in the post-DVD era. Much of the absolute best stuff is not THX certified. Lexicon? Not THX? The B&W or PMC speakers that a lot of music and movies are mastered on? Not THX. The simple teflon coated copper Belden cables that the studios are wired with? Probably doesn't have multicolored THX logos on the ends. A lot of good stuff _is_ THX certified too, I suppose it might help Joe Consumer choose products knowing that some standards have been met.

I wonder what the per-unit royalty for those three captial letters is? I wonder what my Stage One would cost if Aragon had not gone down the THX cert route...

THX for computers and THX for home theater are not really comparable. THX for compuer speakers don't require as high of SPL and so on because your closer to the computer. I know that the THX speakers are designed to naturally cut off at 80Hz(in most cases) by speaker and cabinet design. Also, sounds cannot refect off of the floor or ceiling. If you look at the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 speakers, notice the small woofers. Thats to help it cut off at 80hz so it blends with the sub better. Also, sence Klipsch uses horns to begin with, those nonrefective sound problem is fixed naturally. And sense they all have to be the same, makeing 3 towers wouldn't seem logical. The Refernce Series speakers go to low and to use 3 of the same up front in most cases doesn't seem logical. Ok, so I happen to have 3 RF-7s like mOOn does. Yes it sounds awsome, but the amount of space it takes in hight is a bit annoying because my 14 inch TV is right above it but not on it. But most people just wouldn't do that. Perhaps 3 RB-75s, but mOOn seems to think the RC-7 is better. I also belive the speakers must handle 100 watts. That puts the RSX speakers out. Also THX cost alot of money. So to cut cost, it just simply was't tested. The RF-7s will handle THX audio without a problem. And also, Creative Labs now has control over THX, so it doesn't mean as much as it use to. But 7 or so years ago, THX had real meaning.

CD

----------------

On 5/7/2004 11:54:39 AM cdsang wrote:

And also, Creative Labs now has control over THX, so it doesn't mean as much as it use to. But 7 or so years ago, THX had real meaning.

CD

----------------

Huh? George Lucas has control over THX last I heard...