looking for a receiver

atree

My antique Sherwood amp is dying and I'm looking for a new receiver. It will be used in a 5.1 configuration (heresies up front w/ RC-25, RB35's in back and Hsu sub) for music, TV and movies. I've been looking at the Sherwood R-765, R-863 or Denon 2803. The latter would push my budget a little, but are not out of the question. Was almost set on the 765, thinking its a good choice while I wait for HDTV prices to come down to my range. Then thought about splurging a little. Thoughts, opinions?

Atree;

If it were me again, I would take a serious look at Sunfire. I, know, too pricy. Believe me, I used to think the same way. But, take it from me I recently purchased a Sunfire Theater Grand and Cinima Signature Grand (seperates Pre-amp and Amp), I am currently extremely pleased with the "Bang for the buck" factor. Rember, "Quality remains long after price is forgotten."

Take a look at a couple the topic relating to using XLR cables instead of RCA Jacks. I'm sure the Sunfire Receivers are just as incredible as the separates.

Good luck.

I agree w/ checking out the Yamahas. The 1400 and 2400 are both great units and the 1400 should be comparably priced to the 2803. I will also recommend taking a look at the Marantz SR5400 and SR7400. My SR7400 gives me a very nice sound with a very low noise floor.

John

I have the Denon 2803 and am running it with KG 5.2's, KV2 center and Kg 1.5 rears. Very dynamic for HT and very detailed with excellent soundstage for 2 channel.These are no longer being made and I got mine in February for $425 so if you go this way bargain hard. One caveat the remote on this sucker sucks big time and the manual was probably originally written in Sanksrit, translated into Chinese and comes to us via Slovenia. Don't even think of buying this without the remote because you absolutely need it to do inital setup through your tv. The manual you will eventually puzzle through but a good everyday remote afer setup would probably be a very good idea.

Narrowed it down to four:

Budet pix: Sherwood Newcastle R765 v. Denon AVR2803

Blow the budget: Sherwood Newcastle R863 v. Denon AVR3803

Not much price difference between the pairings. Like the Sherwood appearance & sound, but not their fixed LFE bass crossover. Spec wise the pairings are very close. Price wise the Denon's a bit more. Could only audition the Denons at the abnoxious big box outlets with limited & inferior speaker pairings. Tempted to go for the 3803 if I could find it closer to my what the hell, blow the budget at 600 - 650.

Klipsch Heresy

Klipsch RB35

Klipsch RC25

Hsu VTF2

Sony CA9ES

Panasonic DVD RP62

Sherwood S6020/S6040 (limping on last legs)

Narrowed it down to four:

Budget pix: Sherwood Newcastle R765 v. Denon AVR2803

Blow the budget: Sherwood Newcastle R863 v. Denon AVR3803

Not much price difference between the pairings. Like the Sherwood appearance & sound, but not their fixed LFE bass crossover. Spec wise the pairings are very close. Price wise the Denon's a bit more. Could only audition the Denons at the abnoxious big box outlets with limited & inferior speaker pairings. Tempted to go for the 3803 if I could find it closer to my what the hell, blow the budget at 600 - 650.

Klipsch Heresy

Klipsch RB35

Klipsch RC25

Hsu VTF2

Sony CA9ES

Panasonic DVD RP62

Sherwood S6020/S6040 (limping on last legs)