OT: anybody try Electra low rider Townie bikes?

Colin

I am looking at one to commute the flat 3 miles (over a small canal bridge) to work in Floridas searing sun. They are expensive, comfortable and cool looking any experience or comments?

gracias3.gif

not to barge in, saw townie and reminded me of my old Yamaha Townie moped...

I need a moped type device that i can drive around town. want something like a vespa, would be really nice if it could go on the freeway... any ideas?

Justin,

The top of the line Honda Helix model scooter-type bike is not only good around town but is also good on the highway, including the freeway...as a matter of fact, it has also been known to COMPLETE the iron-butt rally at least twice...which is the MOST demanding ROAD rally in the world!...requiring the riders to do well over a MINIMUM of 1000 miles per day for a week or so! So, if a dependable scooter-type ride is what you are looking for, then I highly recommend it! If you want ot go "whole hog" on a scooter-type ride, then check out the Honda Silverwing ABS model!

My favorite older Honda of all time has to be the CT 70 mini trail bike. They came with signals and mirrors at some point and could be driven on the road. My dad never bought me one, I did have a Z50 though which was fun but always wanted a CT 70. A CT 70 would be great for that short 3 mile jaunt. They are always on eBay and always in different parts of the country from me - dammit! They even have a brand new CT 70 clone that can be had for $1K. This is one fun durable little machine! 9.gif

I did get the Townie 3, which is a low seat, upright, metallic red 3-speed. The internal 3-speed Shimano Nexus hub houses all the gears, bearings and brakes. These are the exposed parts, which lead to mechanical failure, dropped chains, poor shifting, constant adjusting, maintenance and mess. An internal hub protects the gears. Rolls-Royce was famous for car engines using sealed bearings for the same reason. The store clerk and online reviews says the 3-speed Nexus hub has 71-75% of the gear ratio of a 10/21-speed derailleur-style bicycle perfect for the only South Florida hills, known as bridges. Shifting is joy: just click back and forth at any time. Riding is a comfort, just like sitting in a chair. The next model up has a front shock absorber, but cost $70- more. The one above that has an eight speed internal hub, for almost twice a lot more. Neither has the metallic red. Needless to say, I am as thrilled as a schoolkid.9.gif