FLYING HIGH - Till My Wings Got "Klipsched"

DillonW

I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, this small town has one Klipsch dealer with VERY little equipment to demo. I've been dying to demo the new RC and RS-7s, I may end up using them to complete my HTS. A couple weeks ago I had made a 2hr trip to Lubbock, TX. We had to go on a Sunday and wouldn't you know it, the only Klipsch dealer there was closed! Well, I find out Wed. that a friend of mine was flying into Albuquerque on Friday, Excellent! After all, that is the largest city in New Mexico! I left plenty early so I would have a couple hours to demo all that new, cool stuff. Oh the excitement as I pulled into the parking lot, YES! I burst through the door and grabbed the nearest salesman, "Where are the new Klipsch reference 7 series speakers?" I asked. I got a blank, questioning stare. "You know, the new RC-7 and the RS-7s?", another questioning look. Then he replies, "You must mean the RC-3, or maybe you have it mixed up with the KLF C-7". "NO", I replied, "This is Klipsch's newest, latest, greatest addition to the reference series". Well, to make a long story short, NONE, not even their resident "Klipsch Expert" knew anything about the new reference line. They replied skeptically that Klipsch had never informed them of these new products... if they were actually available. A four hour drive.... for nothing. Well, not really, I did pick up my friend at the airport and we did have a great time! But it could have been BETTER!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

Dillon,

My suggestion is to use the phone, first. Sorry for your wasted time.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

I went to SOUND IDEAS INC. Whenever I'm around there I stop by. They have always been very friendly, and willing to work with me through the mail. They will even take used Klipsch speakers in on trade for new products (I'm hoping they can locate a second pair of LaScalas for me). I was just utterly surprised that they had NO knowledge of the new reference 7 series. Does the fault belong with the Klipsch promo system, or is it the dealers responsability to do his homework? Personally, I think if a company has a great product, and I AM a firm believer in Klipsch products, they should make every effort to inform the distribution system and dealers of these new products. In this case, they may have, but obviously the ball was dropped by someone, who knows who???

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Bill-

I am also a regular at Sound Ideas (It is where I have gotten everything for my system) and in defense of the store, you have to remember that this is New Mexico. Half of America thinks it is amazing that people from NM speak english so well. Even though Abq is the largest city in New Mexico, it is still not a very good place to pick up the newest of anything. Try someplace in Texas. As much as I hate to admit it, Texas probably gets the newer stuff before NM.

I agree it is sad that the store had no idea about the RC and RS-7s, but cut them a little slack, it is New Mexico.

Sound Ideas is a first-rate store. It's unfortunate that they were unaware of the new Klipsch products.

In my opinion, Sound Ideas is as good as it gets when it comes to audio stores. I was actually there recently and the salesmen remembered me and apologized for not remembering my name even though I hadn't been there in about 1-1/2 years. Unfortunately, it looks like Klipsch has become a less prominant line within their store. They still carry the products of course, but more and more floor space is allocated to Thiel, Magneplaner, and other brands. However, if you wander towards the back of the store you will find one of the original Klipschorns made from plywood.

In general, when a company puts out a new product, it is up to that company to let their customers and distributors know about it. Distributors shouldn't have to continually probe their suppliers for information about upcoming new products. Introduction of new products should be accompanied by some type of "New Product Launch" marketing scheme. Of course sometimes that happens and some distributors are still unaware of the new product because they never bothered to read their mail. So in this case, either party may have dropped the ball.

Next time you're in town, it might be fun to drive a couple of blocks down the street to check out the Avantgarde speakers at Sound & Cinema. I live in Dallas, and you can't find those speakers here -- New Mexico really isn't that backwards of a place...

Cruzer- The LaScala/Chorus combo is excellent! I am very happy with them, but you always get the bug to improve. Right now my consentration is centered on finding the front effects and rear center I need. But, if the right deal turns up, I just never know what will come next.

asatyss/JMON- Sound Ideas has always treated me well, but my appitite to demo the newest in the Klipsch line had me salivating. I just wanted a taste, you know, something curb my Klipsch appitite. (Or wet it even more!)

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

I PROMISE you Klipsch has not failed to inform dealers of the new products. We have mailed, called, displayed at trade shows, added them to price lists, sent special offers for the new demo's and done everything but hold their relatives hostage in our efforts to inform. If the sales people at the store don't know about the new products, it's because the owners have chosen to keep them in the dark.

Nice store though, last time I was there a customer was picking up a pair of SB-2's.

From the sound of things, Bill, you have a lot more going for you with Klipsch in Albuquerque than I do in San Francisco... and neither one of us has heard the new "Legend deep & Reference accurate" sound BobG, PhilH and JimG touted over a month ago... I have gotten a promise locally that they hope to have the new Klipsch products out of their back room for the Christmas Season... cwm23.gif ARGHHHhh!

A side speculation for the DillonW household... what about another Chorus as a rear center? In my Legend experience, the more of the same the greater the tone & timbre influence on blended imaging power... particularly in the rear array when your Yamaha RX-V3000 turns all the great new 5.1 recordings into 6.1. I understand that while you are "flying high" on your career program, it's hard to find a place to enjoy your "Heritage Habit."

But, Bill, with your Klipsch desire and Yamaha opportunity, it is time for you to leave the ranks of the great unwashed... and find quality speakers that will fit your rear effects and front effects opportunities. IMHO, the front effects are the least affected by tone & timbre issues and will make your LaScalas quality stand out all the more. I used a pair of SB-2's on 6' columns in the front corners and they opened my ears to the untapped hidden joy within the V3000.

Also, IMHO, the rear effects channel is worthwhile but not nearly as dramatic bringing up the rear as front effects can be in enhancing your mains. While matching full-range speakers in the rear array is my idea of a good time, you could do far worse than putting a carefully chosen lesser speaker between Choruses... but let the Chorus II sound be your guide and not the LaScalas in this particular case.

Granted with these changes you may lose a little in back-to-front sound pans... but what you will gain in everyday enjoyment will make that a small price to pay.

I can understand your eagerness to here the R_-7 family since, from what we have heard on this board, they sound like a great compromise to fill in your holes. Keep us posted on your progress, Bill. You must be feeling like I did when I got a chance to read the SR-71 maintenance manual... without much chance of flying the elegant Blackbird... at least you have a chance in your sound Matrix... even on the blue pill! cwm29.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-17-2001 at 09:41 AM