SACD players with volume control

artto

Does anyone know of any SACD players with some kind of volume control, either as a second pair of variable outputs, or front panel control, or preferably with a remote? I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything. Preferably this unit would be something that has been around on the market for a while & might be purchased used.

Hey Art,

A buddy of mine is a dealer for Music Hall/Epos/Shanling/Creek and is currently using the Music Hall Maverick SACD player. It does have a variable output and sounds FABULOUS!

These retail for $1,500 and haven't been out very long, but they do come up used from time to time for around $900.

The build quality is also pretty amazing. It comes with a nice, heavy metal remote. He also has a Sony SCD-333ES for comparison and the Music Hall sounds every bit as good in SACD mode and WAY better on Red Book cds.

Hope that helps,

-Dan

I've been told many of the Sonys will allow volume adjustment via remote with Sony and some other receivers, amps. . . .

I've just purchased a Decware 685 modified Sony that doesn't do the volume adjust, but my Decwqare amps have variable inputs allowing me to not need a preamp anyway (I can understand the need for a remote volume control but don't need one). Will take me a few weeks to get the machine, but I'm ready!

Great! Thanks Dan. Ill check into it.

My main problem is that unlike CD, Ive discovered connecting the SACD player directly into the power amps sounds much better, and for some weird reason, on recordings that may seem not quite up to par in terms instrument size & placement, connecting the player directly in to the power amps brings everything into focus. I used to do this years ago with my old Revox CD player (had a volume control) when I was still using the Audio Research SP6 as my main all around preamp/control center. However when I got hold of an old Crown DL2 control center at a really good price, the Crown never seemed to add or subtract anything to the signal. Plus it has some other extremely useful features & lots of signal routing capabilities. So normally I just routed everything through it. The SP6 sounds pretty but it has a lot more noise & adds a lot of its own coloration. But it seems SACD is so much better that bypassing the preamp/control center now makes a difference again. With the CD or SACD player going directly into the Luxman power amps, the stepped gain control must be on the lowest setting which is where they sound the worst and sometimes its still too loud with Khorns

Lon, I like the Sonys. But both the ES333 & 777 Ive used (stock) have problems playing CD-R, and even some older CDs. I produce a lot of my own CDs (burned CD-R) for resale & its becoming a significant issue. I cant trust using them for bulk testing of 100+ CD-Rs.

----------------

On 5/20/2004 5:38:24 PM NOSValves wrote:

Artto,

The SACD's sound fine through my preamp Its that darn acoustically perfect room of yours screw your room all up and they will sound great
2.gif

Craig

----------------

hehehe. You're right. It's high resolution baby! 16.gif

• 3 months later...

I eventually picked up a Sony 333ES also. While the sound is truly the best I have heard in my limited experience with CD players, the CDR playback is atrocious. Its a shame that Sony can make such a great sounding unit that cannot track CDR's worth a damn. I sometimes have to eject and reinsert the discs up to 5 times before it will read them.

Thus I am on the same search path too for a new player. Preferably a changer, with volume control, that can play CDR's, and sounds as good or better than the 333ES.

I would be extremely happy and not have any need to upgrade with the sound the Sony 333ES gives me...If the damn thing would only play CDR's without a hitch.

Does the 555ES have these CDR problems?

Bob

I have 2 555ES units. One plays EVERYTHING I throw at it, the other plays maybe 1 out of 5 CDRs and sometimes won't even play older redbook cds. Go figure. The SACD playback is great on both but I agree the redbook cd playback leaves something to be desired. I think my old technics 5 disc carousel sounds better with redbooks.