Got me thinking...

ekbriggs

Let me preface by saying that i know this question has been asked many many times with good answers to it each time, but i have begun thinking myself.

I am curious as to how say a pair of SVS cs ultras with a samson s-1000 would stack up against a pair of pro style JBL-4654C subs with a descent bit of eq'ing to them? It seems to me that most of the movies big bass falls around 30-45 Hz where alot of these cinema subs shine. On the other hand the svs have had nothing but glowing reviews (esp hometheaterhifi "subwoofers under the christmas tree." So how would the two compete in these prime areas and then how bad would the big pro subs be crushed down low?

Thanks to any and all that reply.

-Eric

The big advantage with the SVS stuff is the deep bass response, and the level of performance for the $. The pro stuff is good down to the mid-upper 20's with EQ - but if you want 20 hz bass and below, the pro stuff won't cut it.

I use 2 JBL 4638 cabinets (each with 2 15" woofers) with EQ, and the performance is outstanding down to 25 hz. Below that, forget it. It is a compromise, but for the $ invested, it's quite good, as keeping up with 6 Cornwalls is no task for wimpy subs. I don't find the missing low hertz to be a problem. Aside from that, they work great.