Interesting new finds to match my RF7's

TheEAR

James Loudspeakers EMB1000,1200 and 1500 subwoofers.These small(a la Sunfire/Velodyne SPL)yet capable subs use an enclosed active woofer witha front facing PR.Powered by switching amps,plus they look a good deal better than Sunfire and Velodyne units.

I am getting the EMB1000 for testing in a few weeks.cannot wait to how it performs against my Sunfire Mark IV and velodyne SPL1000.From what I've read in European high end mags its performance is very good.

Keep you posted

Justin,

Good post,as you can clearly see when the 80hz cutoff is enabled the sub has to be cut at 40 or 50Hz at most.Its better to leave the cutoff out and use the pre/pro do its job and take care of the signal.

Very flat over its operating range,quite impressive.Same quality I like about all my Sunfire subs they are very flat in the range they cover.

Question... do they not have a way to say created/impliment a "dynamic volume adjustment" which would work as it sounds. Say a sub is flat from 30-40hz, but at 45hz it just jumps like crazy till it hits 60hz, if the subwoofer's amplifier had a copy of the results of a frequency sweep, could'nt automatically lower the volume between 45-60hz? seems like it would be a pretty easy system and with the speed of processors now-a-days I don't see why you would have any delay as it is not monitoring the output volume analog style but rather before it is even outputted and still digital referring to a frequency/dB chart built into the hardware of the amp.

and they probably already do this, but what are your thoughts.

Velodyne and Sunfire both have auto EQ systems.To make the subwoofer flat around its operating range.When the subwoofer is flat with the test tones say from 20-80hz.Its all you need

After you monitor the cone movement and the amp,the velodyne HGS and paradigm Servo15 and Servo Signaure have SERVO CONTROL.

The velodyne DD series has it all,auto EQ and servo control.The result is clean and peak free sub bass.Just what the sub human doc ordered.1.gif

----------------

On 5/24/2004 2:52:02 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

Price?

----------------

Price...the velodyne DD series start around $3000(full retail on the DD10)and climb up to $5000(DD18,a EQ equipped HGS18II if you want with a few minor improvements).

The Paradigm Signature Servo is $3000,a bargain considering its built like few(not even Velodyne matches this level of built quality!)and this unit should be compared with the very best subs made,at any price.

Krell has an upcoming Resolution series sub,looks like the Servo Sig with their own Krell 700W RMS plate amp(and what plate amp...Krell dude...the best solid state monsters made).

So many choices...so little time...I am torn now ...do i order SVS or buy the Krell sub...

14.gif

Sorry I need all the subwoofers I can find,greed is my name of the game. 9.gif

I am like the princes of these oil pumping countries,they cannot have two cars...or four cars..they need dozens ...and more. 6.gif

I have a subwoofer fetish and the sickness is only growing. 4.gif

It's nice to hear Ear talk so highly of these subs (Velodyne & Paradigm Signature Servo). They are certainly on my short list of subs to choose from (Velodyne DD15, Paradigm Signature Servo, and Revel B15a). Nice to know I have good taste! 2.gif

As for the James sub, I too own RF-7s, and the demo I got on the 12" version of the James left me thinking that I have more bass from just the RF-7s. I wondered if the sub were actually ON, or possibly not calibrated properly to the room and other speakers.

Justin, based on your question... I just thought I'd clarify theEars response about auto EQ as I don't think this is exactly what you were asking when you said:

----------------

On 5/24/2004 2:07:02 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

if the subwoofer's amplifier had a copy of the results of a frequency sweep, could'nt automatically lower the volume between 45-60hz?

----------------

As you know there are two principal types of frequency response measurement that will affect your sub performance... anechoic and in room measurement.

The curve you posted is anechoic, and most manufactured subs have a built in EQ (either analog or digital... little difference) which will correct for the drivers rolloff and enclosure's resonances to produce a relatively flat curve. This is why it is impossible to get good results if you replace a blown built-in amp with an aftermarket plate amp which will lack the EQ. I think this is what you were referring to in your original question?

The digital auto EQ theEAR refers to actually corrects for your subs performance within the room (ie: room modes). This can't be set at the factory since every room is different and the subs response will vary greatly according to the listeners position in the room. That is why these subs come with a microphone to place in the principal seating position and it records the room modes during setup. This type of EQ tries to give you a flat response within the actual room.

Why would someone need a "servo" sub when you can get a flat in room response with auto-EQ? Well the reason is the sub's drivers will behave non-linearly as the cone travels back and forth. This is true for all speakers... and what is a flat response at one volume will look like a pretty bumpy road as it nears its excursion limits. The "servo" mechanism verifies the velocity of the cone as it travels (real time) and compares this to the input signal to see if they are identical. If they are not, the servo will respond by sending a corrective signal to the driver... therefore keeping it's travel linear. Pretty cool tech that actually works...

Sorry for rambling... hopefully someone will find it useful..

Rob

lol... been asked in the past 4.gif ... so here you go:

----------------

On 3/4/2004 11:35:03 PM formica wrote:

----------------

On 3/4/2004 8:50:10 PM D-MAN wrote:

----------------

On 3/4/2004 8:28:40 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what smells like burning plastic?

----------------

Ray, I've wondered that too...

But it's not BURNING - it's BURING which could be a misspelled BURNING or BURRING or BORING or BLURRING, all of which seem to work interchangably.

DM
2.gif

----------------

Thanks for reminding me why I studied in engineering rather the languages.
2.gif
I kinda like the other "interpretations" ...
4.gif
I might hold off on updating my sig after all.

Rob

PS: actually I noticed that they removed the HTML option from the signatures ...

----------------

So it's here to stay... well... until i have a major equipement upgrade... Like a set of Klipschorns ... 12.gif

Rob