Speaker matching help needed

I posted this on the HT forum but it didn't get any replys so I am posting here also.

Ok, I need some help from you old time heritage savvy folks! Frzninvt is going to sell the 1986 Pro La Scala Top Section that he has and I was considering using it as a center channel with my Heresy 2 fronts in my HT setup. We are not sure if the sound is a good match or not. I sure would like to have a nice horn center if the sound will be a good match with these speakers. I am currently using a JBL 4312 as a center but a Klipsch would look much better there! So what is the general consensus? Yea or Na?

The question came about because the Academy is recomended as a center for Heresys and there have been quite a few people lately that said that they didn't like the match. I know that the "dope from hope" says they should go well but I was just fishing a little to find out what other members thought. Thanks for the replys, I will get the speaker just as soon as it is "officaly" for sale!

cablacksmith

It will overpower your Heresy speakers. Even if you turn it down, I would suggest another Heresy. The Difference between a Heresy and a La Scala is night n day. Even with the same drivers... The frequency of the Mid Squawker in the La Scala goes lower..than your Heresey does. When Klipsch used to have 2-4 pages of matches per speaker, a Heresy II as main, the suggestion was another Heresy II for the center, and with the surrounds.. yep you guessed it, another Heresy II.

On top of that, you do not have a propper bottom to match the top Pro La Scala. It is not like you can just take the lead out of the Top Cabinet into any bottom end bass enclosure and have it be a good match. Not only frequency response wise, Dp/SPL wise, but lets face it.. A folded dog house box that the la scala bottom is... Is made for that top end. All audio is not all plug and play.

That said....

My comments above do not reflect that I also wanted this nor made you to feel what your considering is a bad investment, so that I may have it over you. Just the facts as they are, based on your questions. BTW 275.00 is a fair but not overwhelming great deal for this top Pro La Scala. I also do however, have a Klipsch bottom end that would have been a great match. If you do consider not to purchase it, I might still be interested but have backed off since your first. (Thats called common courtesy on the Klipsch BB , NOT something you see on Ebay!)