Denon 2803

Ozz

After reading many posts about receivers I have finally made a purchase on a new receiver. It is the 2803 and I must say that I was having a tuff time making up my mind between Yammi,H&K,Marantz and the Denon. Many on the forum like one or the other, and I am sure there all great gear, but so many here seem to lean towards the Denon that I did as well. I ended up ordering it from Hyperaudio for $538 plus shipping and should see it in a few days. Can't wait! I am sure I will have some setup question and will let all know how it works out. Thanks for all the help. Oh yea, it will be powering my RB35,RC35,and my cheezee CR65 surrounds. My next buy will be some 35's for the rear but for now I will be quite happy!!!!!

I've had one for a week and the setup is not that difficult, though it did take a while to figure out why my sub was not getting a signal. The manual (explanations & info on features) and the remote are quite the opposite - they suck. Sound, while a bit warm, complements my Klipsches well. If doing it again though, I would have opted for the Sherwood Newcastle r765 because its got a universal remote (not this imbecilic learning remote), more power, fewer features I won't use, the sound is great and its a hell of a lot cheaper. Live and learn.

----------------

On 5/27/2004 7:35:03 PM atree wrote:

...If doing it again though, I would have opted for the Sherwood Newcastle r765 because its got a universal remote (not this imbecilic learning remote), more power, fewer features I won't use, the sound is great and its a hell of a lot cheaper. Live and learn.
----------------

I'm currently helping my bro-in-law put together a system. He's looking for a receiver in the ~$400 range. Can you expound on the Sherwood some more please. I'll look up the specs, I'm interested in your opinions.

Thanks,

John

Good choice. The manual will drive you crazy and the remote was invented by Bill Gates, but the sound is very clear with a nice soundstage, and all the hookups you'll ever need. Give it some breathing room because it does put out a lot of heat. Any insoluable problems PM me and I'll try to help out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Yesterday came and so did my new Denon 2803! Now, the first thing I noticed was, WOW! this thing is twice as heavey as my sony(595) it replaced, I think that's a good thing, better construction. Now keep in mind that I am just learning some of the lingo(new guy) used to exspress what I hear so I will do my best. I think over all the range of sound seems to be much richer, more defined, and for sure those highs are not as bright. This is with RB35,RC35,BostonCR65 surr., and a velo CHT10. With my sony those high's would sound broken up and shrill. Now I can hear distinct sounds at higer levels, the whole sound stage is better balanced. A few days ago I noticed someone posted that amps don't sound different. My 41 year old ears say otherwise and I can even feel it. The bass management made quite a difference as compared to the sony which would only go down to 99Hz. I set bass at 80Hz and speakers to small, that seems pretty close for me. I am really glad I followed the advice of this board and went Denon. You all are right about the remote, It dosent seem to be well thought out as far as button layout and it has to be pointing right at the amp or no go. I have all of this in a room that is 13x21(mobile home) half of which is a kitchen with a counter extending out half way from the wall. I sit about 7 feet foom the screen with the fronts seperated about 12ft. and the surr. out to the side around 7ft away. Question.....will two more speakers make that much difference or should I concentrate on replacing the Bostons for some RS35 and maybe locate the RS35 all the way back behind my siting position? That would put them about 11ft behind me and about 7ft high. Keep in mind that there are two bookshelves that extend out approximately 2ft. at the center point of the 13x21 room so the RS35's would be at least inset 2ft. on the back wall which would mean that the RS35's are only seperated 9ft. Sorry for the length of all this, guess I am just fired up. Thanks for everybody's help.