thinking about a projector

I found 1 or two that seem good for under 2 grand. But then I started looking at screens and they were pretty much the same price as the projector. What the hell is that all about. Its a freaking wall for crying out loud! I'm pretty good with dry wall (mudding, taping etc..)and I can get it pretty smooth. Does anyone know if its possible to use a wall as a screen if I put the right paint on it and its perfectly flat.

http://www.goosystems.com/goosystems.cgi/index. Or ofcourse, you could just project directly onto an ordinary painted wall and see if it bothers you. I am in an apartment that I will be moving out of shortly, so I am just using a white wall (its not even smooth!) and it has been working wonderful. Normally I use a pull down screen, the quality is better with the screen, but its not annoying to watch on the wall. Try it out.

007-you should also talk to Moon about a DIY screen as he has one in his theater. I believe he used something called "Screen Goo" which offers a better reflective capacity than simply paint on drywall.

David

Are you looking for pulldown or wall mount? Manual or electric? Perf'd for behind the sceen mounting or not? What type of gain?

For good quality inexpensive wall mounts Carada's are good http://www.carada.com/

The best bang for you buck pull down will be a Da-Lite Model C. The Model B's are cheaper but the Model C is built so much better that it is worth the extra cash. Here is a good site to compare prices

After doing all sorts of research with a friend of mine we decided to get him a Da-Lite Model C Video Spectra Material (1.5 gain). The cost with shipping and tax was $385 for a 69X92 screen.

If you just want to paint there is a Behr white that most people use (look at AVS for the exact type) BTW you can change the color of the AVS site under your profile settings. I will admit that after tacking up the Da-Lite samples against my off white wall for testing that on some of the 1.0 gain materials there was no difference between the samples and the wall. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the projector first and using it for a month or two before you decide on screen size and type.

Laters,

Jeff

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the projector first and using it for a month or two before you decide on screen size and type.

That is the best advice you can get. Get your projector play around with it vary your throw lengths and mounting positions when you are satisfied with that then decide on what screen you want. You may find that the wall is good enough for you.

the utlras are good now with the rsx's

I just need the freaking center.

front.jpg

I talked to some guys an the AV board and they were talking about some sort of silver screen paint which works really well. I might try that!

BTW, I have a projector, proxima. Its a bit older and its not for movies, but I think if i get the right screen it will look ok for a while.

The materials they use for screens are a big part of the image quality.

Yeah, you can spend a few bucks on some fancy paint and hope that works, but that's not going to match the contrast ratios that a good quality screen will give you.

Ideally, a fixed mount screen would be your best bet, because it's stretched to precisely the right tension and stays that way, plus you get the really nice black border that allows you to bleed to the edge of the screen without losing perceived contrast (something else that's very hard to do with paint)

Those cheap pull-downs, imo, just don't do enough to justify bothering with them. For $200, I'd risk the paint over a cheap pulldown.

Believe me, the fixed mounts are worth the expense - both in image quality and in appearance. They look a hell of a lot classier - granted, you don't have the gee-whiz aspect of an electric remote-controlled drop screen...