Implementing LOMC on a budget

jazman

Edmund,

thanks a lot for the links. The first one seem to point into the right direction.

Perhaps I should explain what I am having in mind (though it might not really be interesting to anybody else 9.gif ):

My current LOMC is certainly excellent (IMO), so unless I win some big money, the cartridge question is settled (at least for a while....), the phono stage I am having in mind is....not difficult to guess....the Transcendent Sound unit, so another variable fixed. All that is missing is a step up device which can be used with the Ortofon Rohmann and possible alternatives at some later stage.

So the one you mentioned got positive reviews? I suppose I should start some internet research...

Wolfram

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy,

Definitely not impossible. But I think I would have played with the angle of the cartridge a bit to adjust "lifelessness". What tracking weight are you running?

When I get around to grabbing one I will have a play myself on my weirdo TT and see what I can get out of it. Will let you know if I concur with your findings. To be honest I dont think we (Tony and I) ever tried it that high..

Guy,

I dont know the Gold variant but 2.5 sounds very high to me - I have never heard of anyone running that weighty. I think I would try knocking that down to around 1.8 and running it with 100 ohms just to see (unless this is something you have already tried of course).

Were you having tracking problems to go that high? Or, was this a number you just ended up dialing up to to get the sound you wanted? Or even - were you recommended this by someone else?

I would recheck in any case. Running the cart to heavy will shorten its life, rarely improves sonics and can damage your vinyl....

On the other hand this may be the spot on setting for you - just seems at odds with everything I have seen....

Guy,

Hold fire on what I said - I just spoke to Tony and he seems to remember others running at that high a weight. Hopefully I will get to talk to the importer over the weekend and I will get back on what he thinks.

Course it cant hurt to try running lower. Edmund's literature says 1.5 for his version - can the Gold really be that far away??

As ever - more questions than answers - sorry.

Guy,

The thumbnail page is a riot - 33 variants - no wonder I am getting confused!!! and tracking weights from 1.4 for the M model to 2.5 for the standard model!!!

I think Tony had the D - but I am not sure. Anyway - if your settings work for you - then leave it there - this is way to confusing for my addled brain to cope with!!

Guy,

I am now going to step out of this thread with what little is left of my dignity. 33 pictures - I didnt check them all - each seemed to be a different variant on first sight.

and if there are not 33 pictures I dont want to know!!!

LAMOA (laughing at my own a$$!!)

Wolfam,

So you must be considering a second phono pre. You already have the "BATTRIAA S.E" right? That Battriaa should be a great piece. Considering what you have, maybe you need something a bit more esoteric, with maybe Telefunken, Siemens, or Tamura trannies. The K&K kit may be too SS and hifi sounding.

Klipsch out.

----------------

Audioquest PT-6. Picking it up at lunch today. The arm may be my first upgrade.

----------------

Gary,

Upgrade to what? The AQ PT-9, Rega, or better wiring within the PT6 tonearm? I think the PT-6 is discontinued.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 6/1/2004 10:27:40 AM maxg wrote:

Guy,

The thumbnail page is a riot - 33 variants - no wonder I am getting confused!!! and tracking weights from 1.4 for the M model to 2.5 for the standard model!!!

I think Tony had the D - but I am not sure. Anyway - if your settings work for you - then leave it there - this is way to confusing for my addled brain to cope with!!

----------------

Guy and Max -

The only 2.5g tracking force in the VA's Denon chart is for the DL103, with a 0.2 mm "special round" stylus. That sounds like what has been called "conical" -- i.e., no narrow 0.07 mm stylus edge leaning into the groove wall. I think they've historically been able to track at higher weights. All the other Denons are elliptical and are spec'd at 1.8 or less.

Larry

Edmund,

well, that looks like a neat unit! So where do I get such a device (even if the chassis is less attractive)?

BTW: there is a fellow forum member who also uses Lundahl transformers (like the K&K kit) and he seems to get good results.

But as usual: the better is enemy to the good 1.gif .

Wolfram

----------------

On 6/2/2004 7:45:20 AM dubai2000 wrote:

Edmund,

well, that looks like a neat unit! So where do I get such a device (even if the chassis is less attractive)?

BTW: there is a fellow forum member who also uses Lundahl transformers (like the K&K kit) and he seems to get good results.

But as usual: the better is enemy to the good
1.gif

Wolfram
----------------

Wolfam,

That step up is a the result of a DIY project. People generally buy the transformers and either wire the box themself or have someone do it for them. The step up has no power supply so it's a safe soldering job. There are several sources for Tamura or other trannies. Here's a link to the site the photo came from with a schmatic and suggestions for other sources of trannies.

http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/mic-mcstep-up.htm

Actively searching the internet can also yield many great DIY step ups for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3284&item=5701103396&rd=1

Noone bought the listing above, so you may be able to write the seller for a possible deal.

Klipsch out.