Trade Quartets for Academy or KLF-C7, KV-4

fastlane

I'm looking to upgrade my center channel. Currently using ksc-c1. Would trade that, Quartets (oak), or KG 3.2's(oak). Am located on the MS Gulf Coast near Biloxi, MS. Hpe to trade, as I have little cash, but will consider any offers.4.gif

Buy or trade for another set of quartets and use one as a center and one as a rear center. I sometimes, use a quartet, for a center, with my Forte IIs and I really doubt an Academy would be any better. If space is a problem disregard my suggestion.

Hmmmm Interesting. What condition are the Quartet's in? All original drivers? None of the dust caps pushed in? The Oak Oil finish would match my Khorns. The reason I ask is I have a excellent to near mint KV-4 (it is matte black it was the only finish offered) on the way to me right now. It has been rewired internally with teflon coated pure silver wire and I had planned on using it for center channel reinforment in my home theater but I think that a Quartet laying on its side would fit on top of my 43" Sony RPTV so now you got me thinking. I will have the KV-4 on Monday, would you be willing to securely pack and ship the Quartet's if need be? I looked at the dimensions, I am assuming they are 15" Wide and 12+" Deep or is it the other way around.

Let me ponder this and I'll get back to you for sure.

I would let one pair go for $300, the better pair for $400. Both sets are oiled oak. I really do not want to pack and ship these monsters. I can only hope someone near the Gulf Coast is interested in trading or buying.

As having tried a KV-4 with the Quartet's bigger brother, Forte II, I would NOT recommend the match. The KV-4, made for the Epic series, was much brighter than the Forte II horns, and made for some less-than-stellar sound. If you can't find an Academy, then go for a KV-3, made for the KG line. Yes, it has a harder time keeping up with the Forte II, I think it sounded better, overall as a system, than the KV-4/Forte II combo.

Frz-

The KV-4 is a BIG speaker. IIRC correctly, it is bigger, size-wise, than the Academy. And with the Epic line, will do great things. I sold my KV-4 to a forum member and he loves it with his CF-4s(?)

Jhawk I actually had a KV-4 prior to getting my center channel La Scala and I liked and did not find it overly bright compared with the Belle Klipsch I had at the time. I was up until recently using a Pro La Scala top section to reinforce my La Scala center since it is laying on its side and the horn dispersion is vertical instead of the desired horizontal. I could not get it above my TV without building something for it. I did not want to do this since I live in an apartment right now.

Well I came across a guy on Audiogon that had a mint KV-4 with the feet and manual that had been rewired internally with teflon coated silver wire for $300 so I could not pass it up. It fits perfectly on the TV and is angled down slightly and has its own dedicated power amplifier that can be switched in and out when not needed. I have to say it sounds stellar this way, the 2" tweeter in it is a big advantage over the smaller 1" ones in the Academy and the KLF-C7. It is 3db more efficient than the Academy and digs 10Hz deeper into the bass than the KLF-C7 and with 400 Watts of power on call for it if ever called upon it is to say the least dynamic and accurate. It certainly does not overpower the Khorns and it is dialed in level wise.

Well when DeanG's Jensen PIO crossover for my center La Scala center arrives this week maybe the KV-4 will see less duty but for now it is a welcome addition and I am certainly not parting with it, they are about as rare as the Academy if not more so since I think they were only made for a year or two tops.

Frz-

Good to know that it matches up well with Belles. I just wasn't a fan of the KV-4 with the Forte II. Yes, they are pretty rare speakers, and are certainly good ones, but I prefer the Academy in my existing system.