High Def Video Clips

Marshal

Recently at Best Buy, a saw an HD demo playing on their plasmas that was shot in Tahiti & Bora Bora. Beautiful, richly colored & exquisitely sharp scenery. Showed a couple walking on a beach, the community of bungalows over the water, canoes, island girls, etc. I would love to find a place on the net to download that or find someway to get a DVD with that video. It was about 5 minutes long.

I've got most all the samples from the MS WMV HD Showcase(all the ones I want)and have also found a trailer for Van Helsing in 1280X720 resolution somewhere.

I even have an all too short clip of bikini models originally shot by HDNet with HD cameras in 1080P. I know HDNet offers them on D-VHS but I will NOT buy D-VHS with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD just around the corner making DVHS very obsolete. I've bought my last VHS of any kind! Does anyone have the DVD version of those vids? I know they're on D-VHS as mentioned, but another website(The Bikini Network) is offering them on DVD and says they're extra sharp.

If I could get that Tahiti clip and a longer Bikini Destinations clip somewhere, that would be outstanding!

Something weird about that video; it quits with the progress bar only halfway across.

Here's the source for the very, very brief BD clip :

http://www.midwinter.com/hipix/BD-1080p.zip

At this time the alternatives are few. D-VHS (JVC-$619.00) HDV-Minidv (JVC-$2000.00) The quality of the D-VHS is absolutely staggering. Don't even equate

it with VHS. The blue rays will debut at about $2000.00 with built in anti-copy hardware. (NO COPY AT ALL). The red rays assumably will be OK. You have another alternative. Check this site: www.digitalconnection.com. They have a computer HD Tuner card (yes you have to have a computer) called the MY-HD 120 which is absolutely outstanding with remote control to record HD to your hard drive or by firewire to the D-VHS unit. If you have a Video editing system such as Sony Vegas 5 you can take HD-WMV files, render them to 720 x 30P, and put the file into the MY-HD file and view spectacular HDV. You can also take

still pictures in the 2200 x 2200 range and render them in Vegas 5 at 720 x 30p for slide shows that will blow your mind. That HD-WMV file you have can be rendered in Vegas 5 again at 720 x 30p and shown via the MH-HD tuner card.

I have a Sony KV-34HS510 HDTV that I use all the stuff I mentioned above except the Mini-HDV recorder. You of course I assume already have a projection or large HDTV setup. The MY-HD Tuner card will feed anything you have. ($300.00). The web site I mentioned also has extensive articles on

HDTV and the why's and wherefore's. Unfortunately I listen to my K-Horns backwards as the TV is on the wrong side of the room. I'm working on it though.

JJK

Don't say no copy... Anything that is encoded in a direct format at any point during transmission such as component, s-video, dvi, etc... not to even mention analog, gets stripped of its copy protection at that point, because the hardware that reproduces it doesn't natively support decoding. If you have a device or software program that can capture the bitstream in transit, you've just copied the raw video feed which you can do whatever you want with.

Marshal: The best timetable estimate I have seen thus far is that Blu-Ray will be here in the Fall of 2005. After that point comes the version upgrades and eventual price drops, so you might see me ready to "dive into yet another new format around Fall of 2006.

With that said, in the meantime, I have been enjoying my JVC HM-DH30000U D-VHS for over 1-1/2 years NOW and the picture and sound are only comparible to that of Hi-Def cable. Because I produce amatuer digital video projects, for my purposes, the D-VHS format with its versatile ability to use firewire and record in D-VHS, S-VHS and VHS, will not be "obsolesed" by Blu-Ray any time soon. I consider the $600 bucks that JJKIZAK talks about for a current D-VHS a worthy investment to enjoy the technology now.....that is, unless you are on a tight budget in which case, I am afraid you are going to have a very long wait until Blu-Ray will be both; out and affordable. Best of luck!

As for High-Def movies available in D-VHS (or "D-Theater" as it's called), check out this listing:

http://www.dvhsmovie.com/movies/trailerpark.asp Try looking at 'The Beauty of Japan'. It's supposed to be one heck of a demo tape.