CD compaints

Colin

OK, I am breaking open some Pat Metheny CDs that Arkytype sent me (suppose to clear rumdiddles from big ole horns, does that mean I now have a conflict of interest, John?) and it occurred to me that although I stopped listening to albums when I got a CD player because I cant abide the wow, pop, clicks and flutter of vinyl, there are still things I hate about CDs:

I cant stand the security case the new ones come in, that cant be removed with a common pair of scissors

I cant stomach the cellophane that wraps so tightly to the case that some of it and the exterior label always stay behind

I miss the artistic expression of the large 12 cover

I miss the cozy feel of the artist expressed in pages on the inside: vinyl albums were like works of art. Many people put the covers on the wall.

I hate that I cant keep any articles in a CD where the hell I am supposed to store reviews and interviews on a particular CD? Instead, I cram them into the CD so that CD no longer goes into the CD rack. CDs with wonderful articles are vilified, separated, isolated, in a pile of their own. Shame on them. Stereophile or the NY Times liked them and wrote a glowing review. Be gone. Sit over there until I need you (Now, where is that Sarah McLachlin)

7.gif

I've never really had trouble opening up cd's... but it does take a little bit of work to get your fingernails under the stickers holding it together. The rest I agree with, even though I was born past the vinyl era... I still would think it nice to get those extras.

Hmm, for a nominal fee I can write you some PDA based software that will allow you to scan the barcode of your CDS, then sync up with a PC database in which you can store links to reviews and other related data. (No really, just let me know I'm looking for a side project)

Yeah, it does seem like the average CD or DVD is locked down tighter than Ft. Knox. I hate the fact that companies are far more worried about protecting themselves from theft than the horrid amounts of plastic they waste on packaging or the convienience of their customers.

Sheesh, talk about reading my mind.... those damn cd cases can be a huge pain in the buttocks! Some DVD's are the same way, I mean.... why do you have to seal all sides of the friggin thing?

And what's up with imports? They get all the good stuff, better inserts, more tracks, different tracks....etc

And I know "it's all about the benjamins" BUT when I buy a DVD I don't want to see a second, third, or even fourth version come out... just get it all on the first release.

Maybe they ought to start putting cd's in record albums. Just kiddin, but they are hard to get into that's for sure. What's worse is a blank vcr tape. A new one when you need to record something fast and you have to open it in time to catch the beginning.