Exploding subwoofer boxes?

kenratboy

At work (Best Buy), I have been spending a lot of time in car audio (helping, talking, etc.) and I was asking why the car sub boxes were so heavy and well-built. He said with some of the sealed boxes and monster woofers, you could just pop apart a cheap box and be done with it. Is this only a car audio issue, or something you find with home audio gear?

And yes, the people in car audio do NOT like 110 dB. bass all day long 2.gif

i can see joints and stuff like that wiggling loose after time, but there's no way to build up enough pressure to cause a wooden cabinet to explode. If it really does happen, then you'd be able to crack wood with the voice coil (if you could rig it up so that the voice coil wouldn't break when it hit the wood). I think the speaker cone would seperate from the voice coil or the speaker cone itself would break or bend before you'd get wood to even bend.

Nevertheless, I think it'd be cool to see a speaker powerful enough to blow apart it's encasing 9.gif

What's funny is that you would think a sealed enclosure would have the most internal air pressure, but this is not the case.

In fact, a vented (ported/bass reflex) enclosure will have up to 3 times more air pressure exerted on it then a sealed enclosure which happens at the tuning frequency of the port.

Pretty neat, huh?! 6.gif

----------------

On 6/6/2004 5:56:34 PM chops wrote:

What's funny is that you would think a sealed enclosure would have the most internal air pressure, but this is not the case.

In fact, a vented (ported/bass reflex) enclosure will have up to 3 times more air pressure exerted on it then a sealed enclosure which happens at the tuning frequency of the port.

Pretty neat, huh?!
6.gif

----------------

Yep,and some claim sealed boxes explode...LOL

Sure if these hold Tumult woofers or Sunfire woofers...thin carboard boxes that is.

2.gif

More childish urban legends for the newbs

I don't have any idea whether it is true or not, but I seem to remember hearing that some of the very first sunfire cubes built exploded while being tested. They do have dual active woofers right??? So I guess maybe they could explode if the cabinets were poorly constructed, but that's all I can think of in regard to this thread.

----------------

On 6/7/2004 6:18:10 PM om13934 wrote:

I don't have any idea whether it is true or not, but I seem to remember hearing that some of the very first sunfire cubes built exploded while being tested. They do have dual active woofers right??? So I guess maybe they could explode if the cabinets were poorly constructed, but that's all I can think of in regard to this thread.

----------------

This is a load of bull spread by people who want to scare customers from Sunfire products.I have THREE Sunfire subs and two Carver KS subs and none has ever had any problems.And I drove them as hard as can be done.

So is the myth of exploding Sunfires true...yes as true as the one about the giant frog that was eating people.Urban legends nothing more

----------------

On 6/7/2004 9:04:57 PM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

On 6/7/2004 6:18:10 PM om13934 wrote:

----------------

This is a load of bull spread by people who want to scare customers from Sunfire products.I have THREE Sunfire subs and two Carver KS subs and none has ever had any problems.And I drove them as hard as can be done.

So is the myth of exploding Sunfires true...yes as true as the one about the giant frog that was eating people.Urban legends nothing more

----------------

I agree totally with The_Ears on this!!! 6.gif I wasnt affraid that my box explode but I was a bit worried about building a 3/4" MDF sealed box for my Tumult. I was affraid that the box would vibrate too much (like dancing on the floor) but when you do lots of bracing, in the end, you have a sturdy enclosure which is VERY able to support the power of a great woofer such as a Tumult, Sunfire and the TC Sound HE-15 to name some. Just imagine, a Tumult can move 5.1 liters of air, this is a lot! 14.gif The comon carpenter glue used for joining my MDF pannels can support pressures of ABOVE the 1000 pounds tag!!! I imagine that the Sunfire Signatures are at least as solid as my enclosure is and even maybe more. And dont worry, when I touch to the enclosure when it is driven hard, I feel like confident 1.gif

Wouldn't in the case of too much pressure behind the cone of a woofer/subwoofer, the driver itself would sustain the damage? Like push the cone and voice coil out of the magnet, rip the spider, surrounds, etc....

In the strange event that too much pressure would get behind the cone of course, be it sealed or ported.

There is some tough subs out there, but tough enough to break wood from pressure waves?

I'm lost.....

Well, the Tumult is one of the if not the most powerfull 15 inchers in the world and I have it! 1.gif 34mm of LINEAR one way xmax! Quite a lot more capable than the best Sunfire. I never broke any enclosure with it yet when it was pushed to its limit if this can make you more confident! 2.gif This is truely a myth! Ive never heard of another Tumult user broking his enclosure while the sub is playing at a loud volume.

----------------

On 6/8/2004 9:55:14 PM fire pinch wrote:

34mm of LINEAR one way xmax!

***So would that be 68mm peak to peak?

Ive never heard of another Tumult user broking his enclosure while the sub is playing at a loud volume.

***Yeah, but there is a good chance you'll find user's that broke the sub from playing the driver itself too loud.