Scored Linda Ronstad/Nelson Riddle Lush Life LP

lynnm

This was one of 3 LPs Linda recorded with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra. I have the other two and paid C$1.00 for a mint copy of this at a flea market today. If anyone wants to hear how good a well produced vinyl recording can sound this one is worth a listen.

Yes sir , one mans trash is anothers gold !!!

Good score . I'm glad some people see clear enough to pass on there old lp's at places like flea markets and garage sales instead of just pitching them in the thrash or giving them to another family member so they can sit in there dark dingy basement for another 20 years .

My wife picked up 22 lp's from the 50's to 70's at a garage sale about a month ago , some of them still have the original plastic store wrap and price tags on them . Some

" EXCELLENT OLD CANADIAN PRESS " lp's .

Examples . Original sound track to " south pacific " ( simpson sears price tag $6.78 )

.original sound track to " Dr zhivago "

.3 " mantovani " lp's

.nat king cole " magic of christmas with kids "

. barbra streisand " seasons greetings & joyeux noel to canada "

. johann strauss " greatest hits "

.Living strings " The sound of music "

.Julie andrews " with the orchestra harpsichord & Andre previn arrangements"

. readers digest ( all 3 albums of the set ) 100 most beautiful melodies .

Plus a whole pile of other treasures like rodger whittaker, henry mancini ,leonard bernstein and david frizzel .

IMHO Ms. Ronstadt is the essence of style. But then again, I've been in love with her since about 1973 (yes my wife knows). I was fortunate enough to see her in concert with Nelson Riddle and his orchestra at The Sands in Atlantic City (I forget exactly what year that was). My buddy and I had seats right next to the stage. The only musician from her pop/rock band was Don Grolnick (R.I.P.) on piano. I knew I was going to enjoy her, but I was very surprised at how much I got into the orchestra. The horn section blew me away. They cut some of those cats loose on solos - Whew! Also, the drummer was John Guerin of the mid-70's jazz fusion band the L.A. Express. No slouch there. For anyone who is into multi-channel music, Ronstadt's "What's New" recording is available on DVD-Audio.

I have all 3 of those with Nelson Riddle, and, personally, I think that LUSH LIFE is the best, both music and recording-wise...I use it as a demo and setup cd as the vocals are pretty well mic'd. You can actually tell when she licks her lips? At least that's my guess. The effect is that she is actually standing there. Pretty cool.

Carlie Simon also attempted the big-band thing with one album, but the recording wasn't nearly as good IMO. It doesn't compare.

DM2.gif

Just picked up "What's New" last week at a garage sale, along with a bunch of other great titles, for $10 total for about 16 albums. All were in VG+ condition, most near mint. Included in this haul were:

- Dave Mason - Let it Flow

- Pat Benatar - In the Heart of the Night

- Chuck Mangione - Children 0f Sanchez

- Tim Weisberg - Night Rider

- John Fogerty - Centerfield

- Credence Clearwater Revival - 1969

- The Best of Procol Harum

- Genesis - abacab

- ELP - Brain Salad Surgury (with the fold out cover)

- Charlie Daniels Band - Million Mile Reflections

- Eagles - The Long Run

- Grover Washington Jr - Paradise

- 3 Earl Klugh albums

Not a bad afternoon, eh?

----------------

On 6/6/2004 10:40:45 PM Dual Woofers wrote:

Examples . Original sound track to " south pacific ----------------

I saw an absolutely MINT copy of that today at the thrift store but didn't buy it. It was in my stack when I just decided not to buy anything and left. I guess I should go back and see if it's still there.

I've also seen those Linda R. lps but never picked them up. Thanks for the tip Lynn.

----------------

On 6/7/2004 9:20:41 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 6/6/2004 10:40:45 PM Dual Woofers wrote:

Examples . Original sound track to " south pacific ----------------

I saw an absolutely MINT copy of that today at the thrift store but didn't buy it. It was in my stack when I just decided not to buy anything and left. I guess I should go back and see if it's still there.

I've also seen those Linda R. lps but never picked them up. Thanks for the tip Lynn.

----------------

GARY : This copy i have is almost beyond " MINT " it still has the original plastic wrapping ( it is not even yellow'ed or wrinkled ) with just a slit in one side to take out the lp the price tag is still on and also in mint shape, the inside jacket is perfect and the record itself looks like it has " NEVER " been played .

I'm thinking late 50's here ?? but not sure .

On top of the out side cover it has 2 speakers faceing one another with " living stereo " written between them , beside that is a logo saying stereo-orthophonic high fidelity recordings . There is also a picture of a piece of film with the words " an original soundtrack recording "

Beneath all that it say's " RCA Victor presents " Rodgers & hammersteins south pacific . This has to be the oldest and mintest lp in my collection now .

BTW : my wife paid like 10 bucks for all 20 some lp's

I think it's one and the same. I'll try and go back tomorrow sometime and look for it. It still had the shrinkwrap and looked like a pretty busy cover with lots of stuff on it. More than usual for a soundtrack lp. I'll let you know if I find it again.