I got my Consonance M100SE today!!!!!!1

chops

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chops,

I've just read your post about your new Consonance. Your system setup looks great. I used to own a pair of KG 5.5's with an Anthem Integrated 1. Nice sound. I thought you would be interested in a UK review of the Consonance Reference 8.8 Integrated in Hi Fi Plus dated 17 May 2004. Tube lineup in this amp are 4 6550s, 2 12AU7s and 2 12AT7s. The reviewer gave Consonance a big rap saying it was..."solidly built, beautifully finished, and sounds excellent" and even compared it with the French Jadis range. I think the Chinese manufacturers are becoming more and more competitive while offering outstanding sound quality. I like the retro look of your new amp and that fact that tubes are relatively cheap. Unfortunately we haven't seen Consonance on the Australian market yet, but I'll certainly be interested when they arrive. Great pictures.

Edwin.

----------------

On 6/21/2004 6:04:05 AM edwinr wrote:

Hi Chops,

I've just read your post about your new Consonance. Your system setup looks great. I used to own a pair of KG 5.5's with an Anthem Integrated 1. Nice sound. I thought you would be interested in a UK review of the Consonance Reference 8.8 Integrated in Hi Fi Plus dated 17 May 2004. Tube lineup in this amp are 4 6550s, 2 12AU7s and 2 12AT7s. The reviewer gave Consonance a big rap saying it was..."solidly built, beautifully finished, and sounds excellent" and even compared it with the French Jadis range. I think the Chinese manufacturers are becoming more and more competitive while offering outstanding sound quality. I like the retro look of your new amp and that fact that tubes are relatively cheap. Unfortunately we haven't seen Consonance on the Australian market yet, but I'll certainly be interested when they arrive. Great pictures.

Edwin.

----------------

Hey Edwin, thanks for the great comments! I tell you what, I love this amp. Everything I play through it just sounds excellent. I don't think there's a single day that has gone by that I have not sat down and listened to it.

I'm also getting a collection of tubes going since I've bought this amp. The list is as follows.....

Preamp Tubes:

1 pair Sovtek 12AX7 Long Plates (stock)

1 pair GE Five Star 12AX7 Long Plates (NOS 1960)

1 pair GE 5751 (NOS 1954)

Driver Tubes:

1 pair Shuguang 6N8P/6SN7 (stock)

1 pair Ratheon-Baldwin 6SN7GTB Black Plates (NOS 1952)

Output Tubes:

1 quad Electro Harmonix EL34EH (stock)

1 quad Electro Harmonix 6CA7EH Fat Bottle (new)

1 quad Valve Art EL34 Fat Bottle Welded Plates(new)

1 quad Siemens EL34 (NOS early 1980's)

I'm still in the search for a pair of NOS 12AX7 black plates or one of the many other types that can be used. I'm just wanting to tame the top end of my KG's a little more, which the 5751's and Vavle Art tubes (which just came in today) have done a good job of doing so far. But they could use one more little notch or so.

I wish I knew how to wire this amp into triode mode. That would be nice, however I am not complaining one bit about the sound.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am a happy camper right now! 9.gif

Wow. A great selection of tubes you have got (sorry about the grammer I just finished watching Star Wars 2). During recent discussions on the forum there has been some debate about burning in tubes, and the merits of tube rolling. I wonder, in the case of your Consonance, and other new tube amps of course, whether burning in also applies to the output transformers. Once your output transformers have accumulated some use, they also may improve in sound quality. This then would enable you to discern audible differences between tubes. I could be on the totally wrong track here.

I also noticed during my 2 year ownership of the KG 5.5's a certain hardness in the sound but only on certain discs. This hardness reduced considerably when I matched the Anthem Integrated with the 5.5's. I also notice a little mid range hardness on my current KLF10's from time to time. This could be due to the combined mid and tweeter horn. More upmarket Klipsch speakers have seperate mid and tweeter horns. In saying that, no speaker is perfect, except the Khorn, and the KLF10 and 5.5's have many great strengths which make up for the occasional hiccup. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Edwin.

And I thank you again my young padawon. 3.gif

Umm, anyway......

I think there is truth behind the transformers improving over time. However, since my amp is three years old, and was used often by the previous owner, I doubt there is anymore room for improvement in that department.

I know exactly what you mean about that "certain" hardness with the 5.5's, but that only happens with known bright CDs, and only then on certain tracks of those chosen CDs.

As for the midrange hardness, the only time I ever encounter that is if I pop in one of Celine Dion's CDs. There's just something about her voice that resembles a megaphone or a whistle or a combination of the two. The way her voice is, she just hits certain notes that resonate at unknown frequncies inside your head! She has the ability to become very painful to listen to at times! There's one song where she sings a duet with Barbara Streisand, and Streisand has a much better voice in all aspects. To put it in easier terms, if they were musical instruments, Barbara would be a full-bodied French Horn and Celine would be an annoying Muted Trumpet. (no, I have nothing against muted trumpets, not just something you want to listen to all day)

On the other hand, the KG 5.5's are very unforgiving, and will let you know when the recording "isn't up to snuff". They are also very honest, natural, and realistic sounding. If you get the volume set just right, (not too loud and not too soft), the recording simply becomes very lifelike, as if the performance is right in front of you.

You're right Edwin, I wouldn't have it any other way, either! 9.gif

"I think there is truth behind the transformers improving over time."

No, there isn't.

On the other hand, the KG 5.5's are very unforgiving, and will let you know when the recording "isn't up to snuff".

Any decent speaker will reveal the latter. If you want to experience a truly unforgiving speaker, get something with a midrange horn. I think two-ways are actually very forgiving -- relatively speaking.

I should have explained.

I see a transformer as a bundle of wound up wire. I think over time, what really happens is that the windings loosen up a little, and sometimes you can get hum and noise because of it.

I love two ways, and over the last 30 years, I've owned only a handful of three-ways: AR-11, Dahlquist DQ-10, Heresies, Cornwalls, and Klipschorns. My last stint was with the RF Series (RB-5, RC-7 as mains, and RF-7s), and thought they were icey smooth. Two ways DO sound smoother, and that's why I think they're more forgiving.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 7:05:05 AM chops wrote:

As for the midrange hardness, the only time I ever encounter that is if I pop in one of Celine Dion's CDs.

----------------

The solution, then, is not to listen to Celine Dion.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 9:41:46 AM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 6/22/2004 7:05:05 AM chops wrote:

As for the midrange hardness, the only time I ever encounter that is if I pop in one of Celine Dion's CDs.

----------------

The solution, then, is not to listen to Celine Dion.

----------------

LOL. I usually don't, but I wanted to listen to something other than Diana Krall, Norah Jones, and the other usual bunch. Trust me, I won't get in the habbit of it, that's for sure. 10.gif

----------------

On 6/23/2004 7:05:22 AM edwinr wrote:

What's wrong with Celine Dion?

----------------

"To put it in easier terms, if they were musical instruments, Barbara would be a full-bodied French Horn and Celine would be an annoying Muted Trumpet. (no, I have nothing against muted trumpets, not just something you want to listen to all day)"

9.gif

I just got that quad of Siemens EL34's in the mail today and have them runnung. They've been playing for about 5 hours and I can already hear a vast improvement over all the other EL34's I have. If this storm we have right now stays calm enough, I'll leave my amp playing throughout the night to burn them in more.

Here's a neat little picture I took tonight. I had jt1stcav take a small flashlight and shake it real fast over the amp while I took the picture. It came out pretty good! I kept the pic at a decent size so you can get a good look at it. 9.gif

DSCF0895.jpg

----------------

On 6/23/2004 11:21:24 PM edwinr wrote:

Very nice Chops. Had you thought of turning professional with your photography?

----------------

Heck no! LOL 2.gif I have people tell me or ask me that alot, but I don't think my stuff is all that spectacular. I don't know, with everyone saying something to that effect, maybe I should reconsider it.

Oh yeah, and THANKS! 9.gif