Another ugly SE 6BQ5 amp.

DSCF0757.jpg

Well, it also seems to work for me too. Tom is letting me borrow his 1962 Magnavox 6BQ5/EL84 Class-A SE stereo console power amp until my BEZ 300B arrives (yeah, right)! It's either 4 or 5 watts per (non-ultralinear), but it seems to pump out the juice to my Cornwalls in grand SE style! Was listening to Madonna's Ray of Light CD a while ago, and there's ample bass being produced with this lil' amp as well. It will compress a bit over 95dB, but when you have the level adjusted just right, the Cornwalls are playing their full frequency range with lots of speed and dynamics. It too, seems a perfect match for my Cornwalls...tomorrow I'll try AD/DC and see how well this lil' Mag holds its own!10.gif

post-11084-13819255886612_thumb.jpg

They're an extra set of chops' MagWire Naked interconnects. To tell ya the truth Dean, these twisted copper ICs sound just as good as my top-dollar Cardas QuadLink 5-Cs...I'm very impressed with them! The RCA connectors on the Mag are way too close together that those fat garden-hose 5-Cs would never fit side by side. I like 'em...I like 'em alot!

I told you you would like it.

For what it is, it's a helluva amp.

A good RCA or Mullard 6EU7, and some Mullard EL-84's would sound that much better.

A 120 ohm resistor and a 100 uf cap for the cathode bypass on the output tubes will net you some better bass response.

That Ebay seller that sold that amplifier says that the amp is 5 watts per channel.

I'm pretty certain your listening to about a watt and a half to two watts per side Jim, sorry.

I would feel safe to assume that's 5 watts with both channels driven.(clipping.)

Mighty%20Maggotbox1.jpg

post-6643-13819255887432_thumb.jpg

Is that 'Mag Wire' basically magnet wire like they use to wind inductors with? If so, it should sound close to your Cardas cables, because that's what Cardas uses (except it's Litz, or stranded magnet wire). When the silver's gone, litz is what I'll be using for my crossovers. Magnet wire is the only thing I can think of that won't oxidize or corrode over time.

Those little amps look wild.

Yep Dean, that's exactly right. From what chops told me, it's fine magnet wire (hence the name). I assume their website explains all that, but I don't know their address off the top of my head.

These Mag and RCA amps are wild...real sleepers IMO. It may just be 2 watts per side; it really doesn't matter to me. This is a great sounding amplifier, even with the new tubes and upgraded caps, etc. Imagine how it'd sound if it was fully modded with high-end caps and resistors, plus NOS outputs and a driver. I assume a NOS Mullard 6EU7 is an equivalent to the 5U4G...