Mystery Cornwall

HornEd

Hey all you Cornwall enthusiasts, I received two mystery three-way walnut Cornwalls yesterday. One has a serial number: 36Y659 and model: CWO... the other one has a missing label. They seem to be in pretty good shape... just need some TLC and probably a boost from Al K. Anyone out there able to share any knowledge of what they may be and what is likely inside? Have I made a hit cwm4.gif or a miss cwm3.gif ?

He seemed to think they were Cornwall II's, but that's not what the manufacturers sticker says. My handy "Boa Chart" says they were built in 1983. Are they really worth $520 for the pair... the seller has offered my money back if I am not satisfied.

cwm42.gif My resident expert is dubious... HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-14-2001 at 06:32 AM

Ed if your not happy, look me up, or Steve P in the topic Klipsch onwers need our support, one of us would take them off your hands!!

Ill give you what you paid for them, $500.00 is half of what i gave for mine!!!

Im not to shure of the year on yours, even if there a matching set!!

I paid $700.00 for a set with blown tweeters, and had to spend another $265.00 for tweeters!!

So i think all in all you did get a deal!!

Can you post a picture?? Id like to see them!!

Jim

Thanks Jim, I was hoping you would respond. The fellow who sold them to me claimed they were Cornwall II's but don't think so. I am building a music room out of a storage area so the photos might not be pretty... but they will be revealing with my Olympus E-10 (4.1 megapixel) digital camera... but I really have to scrunch it to get it on line here. I will try to get some this weekend... and also fire them up and see how they run. Thanks for the encouragement. HornEd

Indeed it does make sense, Jim. The horns are horizontal and their are three vents. So Boa's Chart with the 1983 manufacture date is probably right. Would you recommend Al K. crossovers? HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-14-2001 at 01:50 AM

OK ED

The way i see it, Als crossover deliver the same cleaner sound as you have now!!

They are an updated version of what you have, replacing the deteioration of the originals!!

Which would be a good idea to get them!!

Also, looks like you have an 80s set, and yes they are worth what you paid for them!!

Both pair i have here are 1980 models!!

Regards Jim

Jim, dougdrake (before he was "2'ed") posted an alert here about a pair available on AudioReview for $520. I immediately bought them for the asking price and they were a very long time in getting here from Jackson Hole, WY. In fact Doug wondered if the seller had thought better of the deal. Hmmm, maybe all that Klipsch bashing on AudioReview has some value after all. LOL

Thanks for your support... everything looks in place and intact... the walnut is in great shape, no nicks or dings, just a couple of light stains... I haven't fired them up yet (too busy playing with the Twin SVS CS-Ultras) I think these Cornwalls are definite keepers! cwm38.gif And I owe a big THANKS to dougdrake2 too (no not dougdraketutu, that will be to avoid the next "No Life" post)! HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-14-2001 at 06:31 AM

Greetings HornEd,

Your Cornwalls are indeed 1983 and are Cornwall I's. You stated one of the labels has been lost. Fortunately, the serial numbers are stamped into the top edge on the rear of the cabinets. If your speakers are a matching set, the numbers should be sequential. If they're not, no problem, your ears won't know the difference.

My guess as to what's inside would be K33-E woofers, K55V squawkers, and K77-M tweeters. Your crossover are probably B-2's with crossover frequencies at 600Hz and 6000Hz with 12dB/octave slopes. Pulling a rear cover off should easily verify which drivers you have.

I really love my 1977 Cornwalls, I think you'll feel the same about yours. One recommendation with Cornwalls is to put them in corners toed-in for best bass, imaging, and room coverage. After a good bit of experimentation, my Cornwalls sound best when they are toed in at an angle where they face the far corner of the room at a perpendicular angle.

Also, if the cabinet veneer looks rough, you can take some Danish oil, mix it with Minwax Dark Walnut stain (50/50), and buff into the veneer with #0000 fine steel wool (use light, quick strokes in direction of grain), then buff heavily with an old bath towel, then let dry.

Couple of hints 1) do one side at a time and make sure the side facing up when you're working on it, 2)use the #0000 steel wool only soaked with the stain/oil, not dry. Dry steel wool will give off steel fibers which could work their way into the magnet assemblies of the drivers. Remove all remnants of steel wool from the cabinets not forgetting the corners! You can even masking tape some packaging paper over the driver openings to be sure. Make sure grill cloths are off for procedure as they can pick up steel wool fibers.

Grill cloths can be cleaned up with upholstery cleaner and a soft brush. If pretty fuzzy, the grills can be shaved with one of those electric fabric shaver things available at drug stores or Wal-Mart. The grills will have a crisp, new look after a good shave (kind of like me).

I did the above procedures on my brothers Cornwalls and they went from a bit of a disappointment to absolutely beautiful. His walnut veneer looks almost like rosewood. Grills are crisp and new looking too. A lot of elbow grease, but well worth it. I cannot overemphasize how good they look.

One last thing. Although I strongly believe in my tried and true clean up methods. You do these at your own risk, do a test patch, don't get it on the carpet, don't use too much pressure, and use common sense. My apologies for stating the obvious.

Congrats on the Cornwalls.

KG

Thanks, Klipschguy, I needed that. Where else can you buy great horns and a great sound and get the bonus of having great enthusiasts to boot. I will institute your suggestions as preservation strategies. Thanks again... even for the "obvious." HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Walnut Cornwall / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

HornEd - Glad they arrived, and are in nice shape. If I had the room myself...

If you are feeling so inclined (although it's certainly not necessary), keep your eyes open for either a single Forte I or a reasonably priced ($500-600) pair of Forte Is. I need to use one as a center channel...

Doug

HornEd,

As long as they are in good condition, and are functional, they you got a very good deal (assuming the shipping costs weren't sky high).

Remember that there were actually two "Cornwall II's). The first Cornwall II was from around the late '60's to early 70's. The later Cornwall II started in the early '80's until the Cornwall was retired (late '80's or early '90's).

If I am not mistaken, if the horns and woofers are mounted flush on the front surface of the speaker, then you have the later Cornwall II's. If they are mounted from behind the front surface, and you can see the edge of the board where cutouts were made to mount the horns/woofers, then you have the Cornwalls I's. Also, I believe the Cornwall II's have a three-vent port and the Cornwall I's have a two-vent port.

Not to make things confusing, my 1980 cornwalls all 4 have 3 vents, and so do the late 80 cornwall 2s!!

Also the 70 cornwall 1s have 2 vents, the same as the older cornwalls from the 60s or older!!

Me ED, Klipschguy, all have 1983 era cornwall 1s!!

Al has a set of the vertical horn cornwalls with the 2 vents, in his set up!!

Maybe Al from ALK crossovers, will pull the grille off one of his and post the picture here!!

If you keep an eye on e-bay, soon you will see a set of cornwall 1s, with 2 vents, NOT 3!!

Those are 70s models!!

Also, what is really wierd, is all 4 models, that i have seen, all called the same sound, all have different drivers, in the selected years!!!

So if you think about it, there really was 4 models of the cornwalls before the end of production!!!!

So the questions go on and on,,,,,,,,,and on!!

Regards Jim

Make that 5 models, they also built a pair without the grilles, they were all the same wood finish, all the way around, with the Klipsch emblem on the very top, above the tweeter!! Beautiful, but not for kids!!

And you can also say 6 models were built, they still had the industrial cornwalls!!!

The cornwalls out do the rest of the heritage as for as changes and years, driver types, and looks!!

Regards Jim

JMON is right,

I just did some research.If the backs are screwed on and the horns mount from the back of the board they are I's.Mounted from the front and back is glued on,II's.

Not disputing anything here,but all I found out was 1959 to 1981,Cornwall I's,1981 to 1990 II's.

Doesn't matter if they have the metal horns or not,just depends on how they were mounted.

Hey, gang, they are still a Mystery Cornwalls... but I am leaning toward a Cornwall I conclusion. Here are the facts:

1. One label reads "Cornwall" with no other designation.

2. One serial number ("Y" = 1983) is: 36Y659

3. Model is: CWO

4. I will have to remove the back to find the other's SN.

5. The backs are screwed on.

6. The woofer and horns are mounted behind the motor (baffle) board.

7. The horns are metal.

8. They have three front vents.

9. They sing like the efficient Klipsch angels they are supposed to be...cwm38.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-18-2001 at 03:55 PM