What in the world is going on? Its like closed topic day or something

anarchist

I am not going to belabor the point nor 'continue' the conversation because it is against the rules, but the subjective and selective closing of threads is rather lame. Those threads in question did not border on the extreme and were rather tame and enjoyable to read. Closing them because they raise questions, point out facts, or contain jabs all while maintaining a semblence of humor and civility is not beneficial but rather an example of 'moderation' becoming 'censorship.' If I missed where someone was flamed and offense should have been taken, I apologize. Otherwise, the leash is getting too tight and peoples skin is becoming too thin. Got to love this country - founded on Freedom and run amok with political correctness.

MR MARTINS KUNLE has exerted his far-reaching influence.

Seriously, though, I agree. I didn't think anyone had or was about to get bent out of shape over any of that (edit- this is in reference to Erik's email alert thread). Maybe they're just getting warmed up for the weekend.

YES, I AM IN AGREEMENT WITH ALL YOU KIND SIRS

ON THIS TOPIC.

I MYSELF HAD CLICKED THE REPLY BUTTON ON MR. MAXG's

(A FOREIGNER) POST, IN RESPONSE TO HIS RECEIPT OF MY

HUMBLE EMAIL TO HIM AND HIM ONLY. I WAS REGRETFUL

THAT HE HAD POSTED THIS EMAIL FOR THE WORLD TO SEE

OUR UTMOST PRIVATE MATTER OF IMPORTANCE. I WAS ALSO

URGING HIM TO FORWARD THE U.S. FUNDS TO MY ACCOUNT

IN MOST URGENT SPEED. WHEN I MYSELF CLICKED THE SUBMIT

BUTTON, MY URGENT MESSAGE TO HONORABLE MR. MAXG WAS

RELEGATED TO THE GREAT UNKNOWN.

NOW, MR. MAXG MAY BE IN JEOPARDY OF LOSING OUT ON

THIS GREAT OPPORTUNITY, DUE THE THE SUBJECT

FORECLOSURE AS WE DISCUSS HERE IN MOST HONEST EARNESTY.

AWAITING YOUR MOST POSITIVE RESPONSE,

MARTINS KUNLE

• Moderators

Hmmm, I closed 2 topics in 2-channel audio that were simply vehicles for a few people to take jabs at each other and contributed nothing else... I closed 2 topics in the General Section that had a political tone and did not belong here.

I think I'm fairly lenient most of the time, but when I see a thread that has no where to go but downhill, I'm going to get rid of it.

Don't over react. I do things for a reason. Maybe you weren't being insulted or doing the insulting, so it doesn't affect you-- but it affects others. I receive emails consistenly about members offended by a comment on the board that I'm sure no one else would take a second look at.

If those threads that I closed were really useful, please point out why, and I might consider reopening them.

And show me a place that truly has Free Speech, and I'll show you a place that has a lot of people who mistrust and dislike each other because of hurt feelings. It has nothing to do with "thin-skin..." I believe in common courtesy, and I don't think that's too much to ask for an AUDIO forum.

Thanks

the forum has its own way of satire and acknowledgment of balderdash, either blatant or innuendo. I think it was handled a bit heavy handed. Some things should be said, and if done with humor and skill, all the more reason. In a world of smiley faces and thumbs up leaders, the slight nod is lost. punish the thinking while the "attaboys" grow stronger. still it's only a forum and not a edict of council.

• Moderators

Your definition of heavy handed is someone else thinking that not enough was done. There is a blurry line with forums as to what is acceptable and what is not. People are just too different.

Let's move on with informative, fun topics. Life is too short to be bogged down with insults, who didn't get to have the last word on a thread, and whether or not GW is smart enough to complete a sentence.

Again, if someone can actually point out why it is important to reopen those threads, I'd be interested to hear.

Hello Amy,

Not that I believe either thread will be reopened, but I will voice my opinion and point out certain things which gave either of those threads value.

The Erik thread and associated title was wonderful humor. Yes it contained some jabs, all of which were wonderfully funny and enjoyable to read. It also alerted some of us to Erik's generosity and character. It further, although some might not like the implications, pointed out the 2-channel section has a number of posts from people selling their wares. I personally do not object to the forum being used to sell products developed by our members to enhance the Klipsch experience but it is a bona-fide observation. So... the Erik thread provided humor, public service, and provided a discussion point on the motivations of sellers and when was too much enough.

The Jaz thread pointed out correctly that members now hawking certain wares use to have altering viewpoints which were in direct conflict of what they were now. Yes, it could, and was, a jab intended to point out a flip-flop or if wanted to be mean spirited, hypocrisy. I have witnessed the vitriol spilled between Jaz and NOS for years. Much of it unnecessary if people didn't have such strong opinions and much of it wouldn't happen today because NOS's opinion has changed over time. The thread advanced to the point where the 'changing nature' that occurs with time and experience was being discussed and not merely insults. The thread provided education for others to understand this nature. It allowed for self-discovery and gave thinking points to others who might engage in such behaviors. The initial post allowed Jaz to clear the air and feel vindicated.

It is an audio forum as you pointed out. Is it your intention to limit all conversation to a specific subject? The members of this board are Klipsch enthusiasts, the forum provides an opportunity to reach out and bond with others, and just like in real life there will be disagreements. In real life there is no moderator to intercede between people, they must learn to work their problems out. In a similar fashion, threads are dynamic and what may start poorly can move into a discussion that is insightful, rewarding, and humorous.

I will not comment on your Free Speech argument other that to say it is a very scary viewpoint; when you believe free speech must be limited because you will have people with hurt feelings... I am stunned. What gave you the illusion we are to travel thoughout life without having our feelings hurt? You show me your 'happy' people whose feelings aren't hurt because of your limitations and I will show you Cuba, Hitler's Germany, and Cold War Russia.

• Moderators

"You show me your 'happy' people whose feelings aren't hurt because of your limitations and I will show you Cuba, Hitler's Germany, and Cold War Russia."

A little extreme, don't you think? This is an audio forum, I don't know how else I can say it. There is absolutely no reason for people to insult each other here. None. I've let a TON of them slide in order to foster debate and it always ends badly with people emailing me to shut down a thread.

I think enough has been said on this topic. It's getting completely ridiculous.

And YES, I still don't believe there's any such thing as truly Free Speech, but you're missing the point on that comment. There is no FREE speech if people have a conscious, ethics, or a polite bone in their body.

"And YES, I still don't believe there's any such thing as truly Free Speech"

I do believe you're free to speak CERTAIN thing in this country but you're NOT free to speak ANY thing your mind willed!

• Moderators

Let's try a simpler approach.

Free Speech according to the Constitution=you cannot be prosecuted for speaking your mind, even if you're the most obnoxious, rude, cruel person on earth

Free Speech according to the Klipsch Forum=say what you want, as long as it's not anything that offends others because no one wants the most obnoxious, rude, cruel person on earth to hang out here (as I'm sure you wouldn't tolerate that person at your house for a BBQ either)

I hope that clarifies.

"Free Speech according to the Constitution=you cannot be prosecuted for speaking your mind, even if you're the most obnoxious, rude, cruel person on earth"

That has not EVER been the case! You don't get prosecuted, you're simply "harrassed", "threatened" or "disappeared". PROVE ME WRONG!

I totally agree with your second statement, Amy.

• Moderators

I was just saying that that is the intention of the first ammendment. I didn't say it was true. What you said is true, and also you can get prosecuted for slander.

See? There's no such thing. Naked Emporer or not 1.gif

And TBrennan is right on cue with a cruel comment (shaking my head in disbelief)

Amy,

Is it possible for you to place a warning into a thread before you simply wipe it out? This way, forum members can "learn" your level of tolerance.

I'm reading some of these posts you just made, and they really don't read well. Sorry.

I hardly ever speak up here, but I read every day and night and have for a long time. I understand your mission, but please consider the approach.

Thanks

Amy,

One last comment on your Free Speech and I am done. Ok. Maybe two.

Life, or its path, was not constructed around euphanisms. There are simple facts of nature and they are not malleable. Some people find these facts disturbing and are afraid to voice those facts because it may be rude, insulting, or whatever you fear. Hiding behind nice words and courtesy does not rescind those facts. Limiting free speech with a basis of nicety is myopic and is the extreme. The results are what they are.

Secondly, I will simply allude to the book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus." Men, best friends especially, rib each other. It can become very mean-spirited to others and still be enjoyable and humorous to those participating. You stick two guys in a bar and they will give each other nothing but grief all night long. It is our nature. Women do not, can not, and will not, ever understand it. Simply look at Dean and Craig for an example of this behavior which has gone on consistently for 3 years.

On the other end of the spectrum, with Jaz and Nos, it most closely resembles a case of sibling rivalry or a battle for dominance amongst peers. I see similar behavior amongst my children on a regular basis. Unless it is completely out of hand or escalating to violence, I leave them to reconcile their differences and they always do. A board is a bit different and you can't have all this aired on your page so I concur with closing a thread when it degrades into nothing more than a catfight.

You are right; it is ridiculous. We are all adults here. There are lots of things which irritate me, disturb me or anger me. There are lots of people who do the same, some of whom I work with on a close and daily basis. At this age everyone should have developed some interpersonal skills. People have opinions or manners of speaking which are different. You need not agree and you need not like, but you shouldn't be able to silence those. Diversity is accepting differences not assimilating those who are different. They shouldn't need to run to 'mommy' to settle their differences for them. Wean them off the bottle and let them develop some backbone.

I will refrain from any further discussion on this topic.

• Moderators

Mark1101,

I've done that in several theads without closing them, with a warning somewhere along the lines of "play nice." Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Closing seems to be more effective at this point--see all the fuss it's raised today?

Anarchist,

You're points are well made, and I'm not saying that I don't agree with most things you've said. This is my job, however, and I have to do it the way I see fit and they way Klipsch wants it done. When I let things go, they usually turn out badly. I don't want to play mommy here--I just want to keep the forum "approachable" for people hesitant to post.