Whats a good DVD-Rom drive for a computer?

Gh7

damn i am so pissed off, i am confused on what kind of dvd drive to buy for my new pc that i am making. i am looking towards a 16x and what brand and for how much, if any of you guys can help i would really aperciate it. i went to best buy today and the morons dont know crap about the stuff the have. Its so stupid to have employes working there and not knowing what they have or are doing. They couldn't even tell me anything about the Dvd-roms they had, they are so stupid

I build systems for a living and I mostly use Samsung and Pioneer. I personally use a Pioneer "Slot loading" 16x simply because I really like the slot loading drives. if this doesn't matter to you either way, I would recomend that you save your money and get a 12x simply because 12x and 16x are all rated at around 40x for cd and the DVD speed is somewhat erelavent at this point as most people only use the dvd function for movies. and really, how fast are you going to watch a movie. If your answer is faster than 1x then you need a vacation.Smile.gif Stay away from larger stores as they will only have retail boxes and thus you will be paying an extra $20 for a box that will probably end up in the trash. Go to a local computer store and ask for an OEM drive. Same thing, no box.

As far as price, my wholesale cost on a good 12x is $60 and $80 for the 16x slot loading Pioneer. This is in Canadian dollars so the US equivalent would be something like $40 for the 12x and around $55 for the 16x slot loading. So add no more than 10% to that and that would be about what you should be paying.

Good Luck

for DVDRom drives..

all i can recommend is if you wanna watch multi-region DVDs (provided you know what that is and you actually watch DVDs from outside of the US)

then you should get Pioneer drives =)

those drives have firmware upgrades that'll allow region-free code for watching DVDs from all over the world

actually there is another difference between OEM and retail...usually OEM doesn't come with the software that retail will come with.and the next part doesn't apply to the DVD but sometimes OEM parts are slower and don't have fans(CPU's)

quote:

Originally posted by Gh7:

damn i am so pissed off, i am confused on what kind of dvd drive to buy for my new pc that i am making. i am looking towards a 16x and what brand and for how much, if any of you guys can help i would really aperciate it. i went to best buy today and the morons dont know crap about the stuff the have. Its so stupid to have employes working there and not knowing what they have or are doing. They couldn't even tell me anything about the Dvd-roms they had, they are so stupid

Simple. Pioneer 105s Slot-Load. 16x DVD 40x CD-ROM plus it's slot-load. Very showy to many that haven't seen it before :D

pioneer 16x has 2 version

1) DVD-116 tray version, 16x dvd, 40x cd, ata66, 256kb buffer but no digital out, oem version, slightly cheaper

2) DVD-A06s slot version, 16x dvd, 40x cd, ata66, 256kb buffer with digital out, full retail with box.

i recommend both, but depends on what version u like

• Like 1

Yes, there are little bursh type things when you slide the cd in. Just like a car CD player. There should be no problem with any dust.

"cd36" - this is true, OEM cpu's don't come with a heatsink, which for most people is a real plus. Not too many people that would build their own pc's would want to use a stock Heatsink and fan. Personally I use the Swiftech MC462 Heatsink with a Delta Black label fan and I find it keeps my CPU just a "wee" bit cooler. Smile.gif Anyone looking to upgrade should look here http://www.swiftnets.com/ theirs not another heatsink and fan that even comes close.

i'e had problems with my pioneer slot loading dvd rom 16x

oen thing is that when i'm playing ff 8 on computer it fails to read th cg sequences completely. often its playing the cg sequences and it has to restart the sequence sometimes because it fails it read it properly or something, sometimes it would be able to play the cg sequences but it is extremely jerky. i know that it is the dvd rom drive because i can hear the drive restarting and winding up for the cg sequences. but my other complaints were that when it drive is running you know its running its pretty loud soemtimes it vibrates my case and my only other complaint is that the darn drive gets really hot. when i'm done playing a dvd it is hotter than my hard drive. but it just muight be that i have a bad drive but if i were you i give the pioneer tray drive a try first.

------------------

bass beats melody

well deaf guy, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your drive is going to die. I've seen this problem a couple of times, mostly on the older Pioneer 10x slot loading drives but the result is always the same... "Fatality". If its still under warantee, I recomend that you take it back A.S.A.P.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a dead 32X scsi slot load. The mechanism went, it clicks a few times, stops, and cycles again. I have to use the eject prod to change cd's. Died 2 months after warrenty.

Plus slots don't accept the little 3" disks.

my regular so called 40x cd-rom drive dose that too.. does it aply to me too about it going to die sooner or later? i really dont take care of my cds and the discs that are scrathed itll spin up, stop, and spin up again and again until eventually saying cannt read disc/please insert disc, but if i put in a regular cd, it does the spinup and stop thing only rarely.. but eventually it will read the cd correctly

thanks