McIntosh CD players

dubai2000

Hello,

the search for aural perfection is indeed endless, but since I've switched to Khorns and a McIntosh combo (C29 ;MC 2105) I feel pretty happy. My CD player is a TEAC VRDS 25 plus a Chine tube DAC which until recently I found quite alright. Now comes the problem: my dealer has got an elderly McIntosh CD player (MCD 7007) which he suggested I should try out (now that I am into MC gear). I listened to the player in his shop and for the first time I even found his Accuphase equipment (sorry folks!) bearable. So my question: does anyone have experience when it comes to the Mc CD player? I will probably be able to borrow it at some time, but I am afraid that I am too biased already simply because I love my MC gear. So any comments/evaluation would be welcome indeed!

Thanks ahead for your time....Wolfram

Wolfram,

I have an MCD7007 and I like it. I bought it used and had to send it to Mac for repairs. Once it was determined the the problem was heat related, it was fixed 100 percent and has been fine since.

I would avoid the MCD 7000 model though. It had a ground eyelet problem in the CD transport boards supplied by Phillips that casued a lot of weird problems. The MCD7005 and MCD7007 do not have that problem though.

Al K.

dubai (gee, my brother in law is from there),

If your also thinking about a DVD/CD player in a possible HT system then goto http://www.audioclassics.com and check out the MVP831 (about $1,400 but they'll probably give you a better deal) from Mac. The s/n ratio is about 100db or more for cd and it's the same size as their 7010 I'm pretty sure.

Gee AL, can you see which way I'm going when I mothball the Carver TL-3100? Won't be a full HT setup but it would be nice to have the ability. If not those refurbished Krell KAV250cd's are another thought.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

Thanks Al and Tom for your responses. I actually managed to get the 7007 on loan today and -whow-another piece of equipment that sounds simply 'right'. If there is any trace of digital sound left then it's due to the recording and not the player. I've now been listening for hours without any fatigue. Yes, the soundstage is different, but who cares if the whole representation of the music is so true (as far as one can tell without having actually been there when the recording took place). Human voices, timbres of musical instruments (piano, violin etc.) everything seems to be more lifelike than with the TEAC. By coincidence I visited a friend last week who played on her concert piano for me. Now with this Mc Player piano sounds pretty close to the real thing and you can actually tell the difference between the various piano brands! So I suppose I will exchange my TEAC (plus DAC) for this baby - I will just wait a bit longer and see if my initial enthusiasm will remain over the next days- but I suppose it will!

Wolfram

Al,

I have tried your test and it's really unbelievably stable. What's even better is the sound: having listened to some off-air recordings I really felt I was in London, Bayreuth etc.- a great unit!

The only problem is the fact that this 7007 simply ignores the remote (even with new batteries!). It seems to get the signal, but it isn't processed inside the player. It's really a shame, but after all it's the music that matters!!!

Nevertheless: has anyone had a similar problem and how did you solve it? (I admit I don't feel like shipping it all the way to the US)

BTW, I've tried switching it on/off, unplugging it, but nothing helped, so either it's the remote or a circuit within the machine.

Wolfram

Al,

your last post made me wondering: the remote I've got doesn't refer to the 7007 at all. It's called HR7 and according to the people at audioclassics it should be the proper one. I also checked Roger Russel's Mc page and according to this the HR7 should not work with the 7007. I presume I will have to get in touch with Mc directly. Thanks for the hint.

Wolfram

Wolfram,

That's your problem! I have a HR7 and an HR7007. The HR7 only operates the MCD7007 indirectly through the CR7 remote control unit. The control that operates the 7007 directly is marked HR7007 right on the front. The back label says it's for the MCD7007. The back of the HR7 says it's for the CR7 and CR8.

AL K.

Al,

thanks a lot.I will try to get hold of the HR 7007.

Another curious thing happened yesterday: I had ordered a CD of a work which I also have on vinyl. Listening to it first on the Mc, then on the turntable and finally on the TEAC made me wondering again. Compared to the record the Mc sounded suddenly a bit 'cloudy' and the soundstage seem to have shrunk. The TEAC sounded more like the record which I found strange indeed. Being rather surprised (and having thought the Mc being clearly less 'digital') I readjusted the crossover frequency of my REL sub (lowerde it slightly!) and voila, suddenly the 7007 produced a bigger soundstage again. Have not tried this with the TEAC, but found it very surprising how sensitive either (or both) the Khorns and the Mc combo react to this. Altogether one gets to the point when one doesn't know anymore which representation of the music is actually more realistic.

Wolfram

Wolfram,

I know what you mean! I have a very hard time when it comes to the question of what sounds right or what sounds wrong. I think that's how outfits like Bose stay in business! Take a look at what I am doing to my Belle speakers (the little house icon below) and you'll see I have the same problem. Part of the problem is that we are at the point where differences become very suttle.

Al K.

Al,

thanks for letting me have a look into your listening room (and all the rest of the info on that page +plus cat!!). Great job and I can't deny that I love seeing all you Mc equipment. A pity that I can't listen to your system over here.

BTW: I spent all afternoon listening to the 7007 again and I'm simply gone! Words fail me so I presume the next thing will be your crossovers. I'll start saving tomorrow!

Wolfram

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a McIntosh MCD 7007 CD player and I was wondering if anyone is using an external DAC with it. The reason I ask is that I beleive it uses an 18 bit DAC while the more current ones are 20 bit or even 24/96 bit (I think I got these numbers correct, I am not real familiar with all this bits and DACs stuff!

Thanks for your replys!

BTW this Mac is in mint condition, even came with the wood case in near mint condition Smile.gif.

------------------

Ed W

Ed,

from my previous posts you have seen that I rate the 7007 very highly. To answer your question: no, I have not used an external DAC, basically because I like what I hear. I am also not into all those digital numbers, so I let my ears decide and they are still happy with the unit as it is.So instead of spending money on a DAC, I rather get a few more CDs (or some other hardware like a new sub -SVS Biggrin.gif).

Anyway, I would certainly like to know how you like the sound of the 7007.

Wolfram

This message has been edited by dubai2000 on 10-16-2001 at 05:25 PM

Wolfram,

I think the MCD7007 is a great player! I am amazed at the weight of the unit, its stability, AND the sound. It matches my MR-78 tuner also. My biggest problem is I never seem to change one component at a time. I changed amps at the same time that I changed CD players so I can't tell if what I am hearing (or not hearing) is because of the player or the amps. I seem to be missing a bit of detail that I had before, I am doing some tube upgrades and see where that gets me Smile.gif.

I also was curious if newer D/A techonology was really a "hearable? upgrade".

------------------

Ed W

I am not real clear on all of the CD debate but most CD players can only digitally output 16 bit "words" at 44.1Khz frequency through an optical or coaxial output. The capability of most DACs is under utilized, I think.

Supposedly some DVD players can output digital data at 24 bit words and 96 Khz. What I have read indicates DVD manufactures restrict the digital output of the players to be only 48 Khz to prevent piracy of the software. The people from tweakaudio.com say they mod DVD players to output a higher frequency signal.

Upsampling seems to be a great buzzword; to me it means the hardware in the DAC creates data where it does not exist going from 16 bit definition of the "note" at a frequency of 44.1 Khz to 24 bit at 96 Khz. I could hardwire an upsampling board into my MSB Link II DAC, but I am a little skeptical if the hardware really creates somthing from nothing.

But hey; I am only a plastics engineer.

Any body have a better handle on this?

I would hate for somone with an investment in a good CD player like a McIntosh to get no performance enhancement from an outboard DAC purchase. My DAC is hooked up to a $200 Kenwood 5 disc changer, definitely an improvement over the internal Kenwood DAC.

Ed,

yes, the 7007 is a great unit. Compared to my previous TEAC it seemed at first indeed a bit less'detailed', but on the other hand it is much more musical than other (even modern and expensive) units. Listening to it in an Accuphase/Avalon combo, it was the first time that this combination produced reasonably musical sounds (don't mean to offend anybody, just my aural impressionBiggrin.gif). I must say that not having a second player at home to compare the sound, I am more than happy with the 7007 and don't think I miss any details.

Although I don't know anything about tubes, I have a friend who keeps telling me that changes in that field can really make or break a system, so good luckSmile.gif

Wolfram

I do think the new tubes going into my amp are going to make a big difference (I hope). I am going out of town for a few days and I decided to wait to "roll" the tubes 'till I get back. I'll let them break in awhile and let you know what I think.

I have enjoyed nice improvements after upgrading from stock tubes in other tube amps and my previous CD player.

------------------

Ed W

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings.

I encountered this board while researching the Forté I. (Currently 9 years into my second pair. Regrettably traded the first pair for the II's,

rectified the issue about 3 months later, been listening very happily ever after...)

BRAVO! on your choice of the McIntosh MCD 7007 player. I think you'll remain pleased. I'm an ardent fan of retro McIntosh gear myself.

Currently powering the Fortés with:

MC 2100 Power Amp

C28 Preamplifier

MCD 7005 CD Player

Audioquest and Vampire Wire interconnects

Tributaries flatwire

(http://home1.gte.net/del235s5/audio1.htm)

Anyway, having encountered some mention of a "fatiguing" component(or lack thereof) in the listening experiences of some of the posters,

I might suggest looking into the MCD 7005 as a digital source player. It was the last McIntosh player to utilize an analog filter in the output

stage. While the twin 16 bit DACs may disappoint some audiophiles with their inherent lack of detail, (and consequent effect on the soundstage)

one will find the player to be exceptionally sweet, musical, forgiving and very analog in it's presentation over a broad spectrum of recordings

(indie label post rock, late 50's/early 60's jazz, acoustic and electric rock).

As such, I've found it to be quite complementary for use in a horn loaded system(most Klipsch speakers are), as it tames the

undesireable harshness generated by driving the horns with solid state electronics(even very high quality solid state, such as McIntosh).

Just an offered thought....

Regards to all. I've enjoyed reading the posts.

Take care. cwm35.gif

This message has been edited by electr-o-pura on 11-18-2001 at 11:39 AM