Diaphram Replacement Instructions

STU

Be very carefull on taking the tweeter apart, you will run into, a thin paperlike seal, a metal screen, and the diaphram!!

Gently take the unit apart, and replace the daiphram, and gently put it back together, then tighten the screws 4 in all a little at a time untill they are tight!!

(Try not to get a kink in the diaphram, when putting it back together), make sure you gently put the magnet back in the diaphram!!

Its easy, and really a simple replacement!!

Also let me know how much the diaphram is, i need 4 for my spares!!

Good luck Jim

Stu,call Klipsch,they will send you a diagram of the break down for the tweeter.I have one,but my scaner is a big pain to use and I have no clue as to where I put it.

1-800-554-7724(800-klipsch)then 5 for tech.

Rebuilt my '75 Heresy tweeter long ago and had my K-55-V apart,BE CAREFUL.The stuff in there is delicate.Cleaned the"whatever"out of the 55 magnet gap and it is happy again.

If you need a K-55-V driver call Sam Stafford at Techstar,Nashville,TN @ 1-615-242-2925,read somewhere on a very old post that the Atlas driver part#PDS-VH could be had for $55.I have never called,but give them a call.Let me know if you do and have any luck.

This message has been edited by Steve P on 07-15-2001 at 08:07 AM

Hello Stu,

I've only replaced K77 tweeter diaphragms, not mids. It's been a little while, but here's what I remember.

1) remove tweeter from cabinet

2) remove 4 screws holding magnet

3) carefully separate magnet from horn lens.

4) check the orientation of EVERYTHING, you can use a magic marker to put a dot on each part.

5) desolder the leads going to the old diaph. I heated a straightened paper clip with my soldering iron and ran it thru the voice coil lead holes in the horn lens, to clean them, so the new leads would go in easily.

6) remove old diaphr. Clean the magnet gap with folded masking tape and a business card. The gap must be very clean or else the new diaphragm might buzz. Also make sure you don't move the magnet in the center of the magnet assembly - if it moves, the tweeter is toast. That gap clearance is absolutely critical to proper tweeter function.

7) paper gasket inside must be reused - don't mess it up.

8) reuse papar gasket + place new diaphagm with the voice coil facing towards the magnet (up). The new leads will fit down thru the cleaned out soldering holes in the horn lens. VERY, VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure the voice coil wire which traverses the wraps on the voice coil itself, forming a little bump on the VC, is lined up with the notch in the magnet which gives it the proper clearance and keeps it from rubbing the magnet. The magnet, lens, diaphagm, and paper gasket all must be oriented properly!!! They are usually marked with a little line. Phasing + notch orientation are paramount to success!!! Do one at a time mark and observe everything.

9) place magnet back onto horn lens being very careful not to bend the new voice coil as it fits down over it.

10) replace and tighten 4 screws, gently and alternately tightening each one firmly, but not super tight.

11) solder new voice coil leads + replace tweeter.

12) test

Note: I bought my diaphragms directly from electrovoice for about $22 each and the tweeters perform flawlessly.

Also, this procedure is not too difficult, it just requires care, common sense, and a little dexterity. If you're uncomfortable with doing it yourself, and just don't want to "risk it", speaker repair places do this stuff for a living.

KG

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 07-15-2001 at 08:44 AM

• 2 weeks later...

Before proceeding with an overhaul of my drivers I thought I'd try my new A/V receiver. Received it Friday and had it ready for a test later that day. To my pleasant surprise, all hints of crackling drivers has dissapeared at any sound level. My Cornwalls have been given new life thanks to the Marantz SR-8000. WOW what a beautiful warm sound this amp puts out. An absolutely perfect match for heritage Klipsch speakers.