efficeint but not accurate

mandi

Well, that is what the guy at the music store told me about my Klipsch lineup.

I went in to discuss how you decide if you need a new receiver. First thing he said, "If you're in here looking you want to upgrade". I told him not true, I just wanted to hear different stuff and how does one go about that. I think he will let me bring some equipment home to demo.

But while I was there, I just happened to have, "Hell freezes over" DVD with me and we popped it in..............Well that McIntosh (sp) sure played that DVD alot better than my Pioneer. Now you will know how much of a novice I am, I have no idea what speakers were being used (Ti----) and I do not know the RCV model number, I only remember 8Channal 6600 bucks!!

He told me I needed to try the Denon 3805, I like the ability to have THREE zones off one RCV and be able to keep at least 5.1 in the video room with the other zones playing.

Sounds like the salesman is trying to part you and some of your money by making you dissatisfied with what you have. He knows you like your Klipsch speakers but that doesn't matter to him because he is after a sales commission, which are sometimes considerable on speakers.

mandi: I tend to agree with what Paul said. It does sound like the saleman is more concerned with his own wallet than yours.

I do have a question for you: When you said that the McIntosh played the DVD a lot better than your Pioneer, were you refering to a Pioneer receiver, amplifer or DVD player?

maxg said

"Guys at music stores are usually inefficient and inaccurate - dont sweat it."

True, but I know where there is a Seriously cute saleschick who said she didn't think she could improve on my Heresys unless I wanted to spend a Bunch of money! It is nice to occasionally run into an honest salesperson.

The argument that efficient, or to be technically correct, more sensitive loudspeakers may be less accurate is hogwash. Surely if the speaker cone is reacting to minute musical detail, and the speaker is designed accordingly, to communicate that fine musical detail and dynamics to the listener (i.e. in the form of a Klipsch speaker) then that speaker must then be classified as accurate.

----------------

On 6/19/2004 3:03:07 AM TommyC wrote:

..."True, but I know where there is a Seriously cute saleschick who said she didn't think she could improve on my Heresys unless I wanted to spend a Bunch of money! It is nice to occasionally run into an honest salesperson."

----------------

The fact that she was also a seriously cute saleschick didn't hurt either!

4.gif Woman can be brutally honest, but if she was like your typical, ruthless salesman who only cared about lining her own purse, she probably could've sold you the whole store with just her smile!9.gif

"efficient but not accurate" Don't tell me this was at your local Klipsch dealer too!? I remember shopping at an audio salon twenty, twenty five years ago and the salesman referred to Bang & Olufsen equipment as "Pretty Junk" I wince when dealers bash equipment they don't sell.

I'm a little confused - what was better about the DVD playback? Picture or sound or both? What part of the system was McIntosh? The DVD player, the receiver, or both? Knowing this would help to narrow down what performed better with this system.

I'm surprised the salesman didn't clearly explain what he was demonstrating - is a customer just supposed to hand him a blank check? LOL

I think only the RCV was different. The sound was different. I do not think I could really compare unless I was blind folded and both could be played one after another. I do not remember the song but when I really noticed a difference is when I heard "the shaker". When I play that DVD I hear it but it is more background, there I "heard" it. Better? I do not really know, the salesman said the sound should sound "fatter" said the Pioneer would be "thin" and cut things off leaving you hangin.