Shilling for Deneen -- so who's "Peaching"?

Deang

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 6/18/2004 3:07:32 PM dbflash wrote:

I may try down the road, or just wait a couple months and get a Peach later.

I have a fully modded AES-AE3 preamp sitting in a closet and in the next couple of weeks a pair of Wright's 3.5 amps will be joining it.

I am going to try and sell my HT setup later this year, so I probabbly wait and sell everything at once.

Danny

----------------

Danny, you are going to love your Wrights. Have you ordered them from George Wright? Another source?

I did quite a bit of tube rolling, and found that the combination George recommended for upgrade couldn't be beat. RCA blackplate 2A3 and Sylvania chrome dome 6SN7. However, I have to say that it also sounds fabulous right out of the box and those stock Sovtek 2A3's are the best in the bang for the buck category. I've also got a few of the older coke bottle type 5Y3 rectifier tubes, just because they look good, but have got the stock Philips in them right now. When you get your Wrights, let me know if you'd want some tubes. I've got quite a few sitting around.

Strabo,

Yep, The black helicopter crowd on the forum are probably already thinking that Deneen's Peach design is just a decoy to drive up the stock on NOS 6DJ8's.9.gif9.gif9.gif

There are only a few forum members who have been aware that for the last three years he has been quietly buying up NOS 6DJ8, ECC88, and Cca tubes and now he's positioned to cash in, big time.10.gif

Some people would be happy enough with world domination, but not Mark. He's got to mess with the NOS world. 11.gif

Daddydee,

I have been using the Wrights since Sept 02.

They are my main amps. I had to see if all the flames and name calling about PP was true.

Last June ( man a year goes by quick) I bought a pair of MarkIII's. They sat in the closet until last April. I finally shipped them to someone to have them rebuilt. Only thing that they will be using is the original xformers.

I LOVE my Wrights. The music is just so good. When I bought my amps from a guy at Audiogon he sent me two sets of RCA 2A3's. After a week one channel went out. I rolled in another tube which corrected the problem. Back in late 01 and early 02 was when the tube talk really started getting hot around here.

I ended up getting a pair of 1943 RCA Black Plates. They have been working ever since I put them in. I have replaced 2 6SN7's. They end up putting out hiss.

I am sure there are a lot of better SET's out there and someday I may buy another pair, but I love my Wrights.

Whenever anyone asks for a name about a SET I always reply Wright's or Dolly Parton depending on what kind of mood I'm in.

Of all the stuff I have lying arond the house I think I will always keep my Wrights, Cornwalls and Heresy's.

I am going to get a pair of Khorns soon so my speaker choice my change.

Danny

Dean, got it, thanks.

Apologies in advance if I hijack the thread, but I just went out and looked at the WPA3.5 reviews on George Wright's website and wanted to post a couple. In my system, I was amazed at the improved sound of the Wright 2A3's when driven with the Blueberry.

The first if from Maureen Barrett, coauthor of the PWK biography.

red_dot.gifWPA3.5s letter to Listener Magazine

Dear Mr. Dudley, I am the co-author of a new book being released worldwide in March 2002 titled Paul Wilbur Klipsch: The Life... The Legend. It is a wonderful biography of unargueably the most famous man in audio. It chronicles his 98 years and counting on this earth beautifully. The reason why I am writing is because of a review that your magazine had written back in Autumn 1999 (Vol5, # 4) pp. 73-82. I was given this issue by a friend because he knew I owned Klipsch and I loved tubes and he wanted me to read a little about this Single Ended Triode thing. I must say I was curious. After pouring over 98 years of Pauls past it was in numerous areas that Paul mentioned how he loved SETs and the 2A3 tube. Well, how was I to throw a deaf ear Pauls direction, about this subject,if I were already admiring not only his life and the way he is living it, as well as owning his wonderful LaScalas. I have heard many a speaker in NYC and I can tell the world Klipsch is the cleanest, purest, sound and let us not forget accurate, that I have ever heard, period. Off I went to entertain myself reading this article you wrote, tongue in cheek. To make a long story short, I ordered a pair of Wright WPA-3.5s and oh well...I guess all I have to say is just read what Peter wrote about them and that is all I have to say about them myself except that please do go out and buy the WLA-12 Pre-Amp George makes because those two together make the sweetest sound this side of heaven with an efficient loudspeaker. George, God bless you, your equipment has again proved to me that there is a God and he does work in mysterious ways, because together you and Paul have brought me an extreme happiness. And thank you LISTENER for exposing me to this unbelievable work of art. Respectfully, Maureen "The Wright Woman" Barrett

red_dot.gifFrom a survey of 12 single-ended amplifiers, Listener, Volume 5, Number 4, Autumn 1999:

"Mr. Wrights 2A3 SET is the most neutral, accurate, and -- equal to the Welborne Moondog -- musical amplifier of the survey. This is a very speclal product. Each and every listener did a double-take with the Wright WPA3.5 in the system: Its that head-and-shoulders above the others.

What came across first was the WPA3.5s purity. Leading edge transients on all the recordings catapulted from an acoustic so clear I could identify the ambient space in an instant -- whether a simple studio recording, multi-microphone orchestral, or anything in between.

Ive also never heard this clarity of a notes attack component before -- but the Wright doesnt "favor" it: The same clarity continues into the sustain component, re-vealing the harmonic structure of each instrument, and then follows into the decay. The best amplifiers "even out" each of these three components of sound rather than highlighting just one or two -- and the Wright is far and away the best amplifier of the survey in this regard.

The Wright isnt just clear -- its harmonically "right." When something is correct in an area of your expertise and interest, you just know it: Some internal bell is rung and, bingo -- the light goes on! Listen to this amp and youll get it. In fact, if youre like me or any of the other listeners who heard the WPA3.5 in my home, youll be awed.

And I cant miss describing this amplifiers outstanding frequency extension. The bass is the deepest and most defined I have yet experienced from a traditional SET, Berning Siegfried excepted. No, it does not have the low-end presence or impact of the Moondog, but it impresses me as more pure and natural-again, more "right."

I like both approaches. I know deep down that the Wright is better, but I like to listen to the Moondogs bass-through-midrange for sheer music enjoyment. From this perspective, if youre like me, youll want both.

Incidentally: just a step down from the WPA3.5s magic is Wrights 300B amp. It has more bass impact and power, and while I wish it had a touch more high frequency extension, it is, overall, a very good amplifier. Its punchy like the Moondog, too -- which wont drive as many different speakers as the Wright 300B, but then, the Wright doesnt have quite the same presence and realism. The Wright 300B isnt quite in the same class as Bernings 300B amp -- but it does cost two-thirds less."

--Peter Breuninger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daddy,

This was discussed before, some months (?) ago. It would appear that Maureen Barrett misconstrued PWK liking the 2A3 tube as him liking SET. But PWK used the 2A3 in a Brook push-pull amp, not a SET amp. No one on the Forum was able to come up with a single instance in which PWK used SET amps.

The answer. Class A,2A3 Triode, 20Watts Peak Power:

wr10.jpg

Some mods by me: Black Walnut, Replace 1mF coupling caps with Film and Foil, Dampen panels with Asphaltic Sheet, Replace 100mF cap with higher quality(I couldn't affort Black Gates though).

Rick

post-12829-1381925603424_thumb.jpg

Paul,

You ain't gonna like this, but considering PWK's love for all things audio, and the fact that his interest in it easily dates back to the 30's -- it seems very unlikely to me that he didn't give them a whirl a few times -- maybe more. C'mon man, think about how many amps I'VE been through just in the last three years.9.gif

PP,

When I had then out this week to fix on the walnut I listened to my SET 300B amp. As nice as it is, I couldn't wait to get the Wrights back on line!

That is not because of the power difference it is nearly identical. The Wrights have a sweetness to them from bass notes which are strong and powerful, through the cristiline midrange which extends up to the limits of the tweeters. And this is with the OE Sovtek 2A3s. I'll breakdown and get a quad of RCAs one of these days.

Rick

Dean,

Why wouldn't I like it? I would imagine PWK *tried* them, why not? Did he *use* them back then? No one has come up with any evidence that he did. There is evidence of all kinds of amps that he used later, and none of them were SET.

As was pointed out last time this subject was explored, it doesn't really matter. But I think it's worthwhile setting the record straight about the author confusing the Brook amp for a SET amp.

Rick,

Glad you like the push-pull Wrights. I wonder if they sound anything like the Brook that PWK was fond of.

----------------

On 6/18/2004 7:57:54 PM paulparrot wrote:

Daddy,

This was discussed before, some months (?) ago. It would appear that Maureen Barrett misconstrued PWK liking the 2A3 tube as him liking SET. But PWK used the 2A3 in a Brook push-pull amp, not a SET amp. No one on the Forum was able to come up with a single instance in which PWK used SET amps.

----------------

Paul,

Yep, PWK used the 2A3 in PP configuration. I don't know what he thought about SET. That would be a great question for MB with the research they did on the book.

I don't think I could imagine a better amp than a PP 2A3. Sweet Sweet Sweet. I guess the man knew what was good, eh? Sure would like to have one.

3.gif3.gif

I would imagine the sound on the Wright mono 10's is pretty similar to PWK's amps.