Heresy Opinions?

Jo-Jo

Alright, I'm looking for opinions here. I'm finally putting my hands on some cash for speakers. I wanted RF3s, but I couldn't get my hands on a pair cheap enough. Attached is a picture of one of a pair of Heresys I found a guy selling for around $450 (not Heresy II's). Shipping isn't looking very cheap, but he said we could probably work something out as far as affordability goes. He says they're in mint condition. He bought them unfinished and had them stained and resealed. He's got the original manual as well, they've just been sitting in storage awhile, and the guy is getting ready to move. My question is, before I actually agree to buy them, what are the professional opinions of the Klipsch folk? Is this a good deal, or can I find something better, cheaper? $450 is pretty much the most I want to spend, if I can help it. If I go any higher, I'm thinking I should just buy the RF3s and SoundDistributors.com. Thanks.

Is that the best picture he has? Is this through ebay? I'd kinda like to see BOTH speakers! From what I can see, that one looks nice, but if you can't eyeball them in person, I'd ask to see a few higher quality photos first! I plopped down a C note on a pair of 1980 Heresys that I found at my friendly K dealer, and they are simply spectacular! He is selling them for $450 as well, so that seems to be the going price for Heresy Ones in excellent condition. How old are they? See if he will send a photo with the grilles off so you can see the condition of the woofer cone! I see he has nice Berber carpeting; looks like they may have been in a good home! If these two are in good shape both cosmetically and mechanically, you won't be disappointed! I would rather have a used Heritage speaker than a brand-new Reference model anyday, but that's just my personal opinion. Let us know!

This message has been edited by Mr. Blorry on 07-16-2001 at 12:39 AM

Hmmmmmm....Hereseys or RF-3's...

HERESEYS!!!!!!!

In 5 years or so your Hereseys will be worth at least what you paid for them...RF-3's, well not so much.

You would however get more bass out of RF-3's...which is more important these days...with the money you save on buying used...start saving for a good sub to use with those Hereseys!

I predict we will soon be hearing from you that your system ROCKS!...even harder than your BF's.

Davecwm30.gif

Actually, I was already ahead of y'all. Attached is the same speaker with the grills off. This is not through ebay, this guy posted an ad on another BBS. The way we're talking, I think payment for packaging is going to be a good faith deposit, but the actual speaker cost is going to be COD. He's going to front payment for shipping, and the good faith deposit will re-emberse him. Altogether, he said he'd go $500 to my doorstep. That accounts for about $100 for shipping and handeling and the speakers will actually only cost me $400 that I won't have to pay until I get the speakers. He gave me his phone number; I'm going to call him tonight. I think I'm going to get myself some decent speakers.

I would go with the Heresys over the RF3's (I have both) and $500 isn't a bad price.

Don't be mislead by shipping costs though. "Some" sellers inflate shipping charges to give a lower selling price. Now I don't know how far you live from the seller, and I don't know if the seller intends to take them to a shipping/packing service (like Mail Boxes etc) etc, but I shipped a pair of Cornwalls (~110 lbs each) from Georgia to New York for $80.

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 07-16-2001 at 06:27 PM

when I see someone selling such efficient and dynamic speakers I always find that they are powering them with oodles of noisy SS watts, or they never played at tweaking audiophile and got the speakers set up to create a holographic image, but this guy has a very nice Mac rig, so my only concern would be - why is he going back ward and not forward? A couple of sub-woofers and a rear pair and he will be ready for six channel sound ...

quote:

Originally posted by edster00:

Now I don't know how far you live from the seller, and I don't know if the seller intends to take them to a shipping/packing service (like Mail Boxes etc) etc, but I shipped a pair of Cornwalls (~110 lbs each) from Georgia to New York for $80.

This guy lives in Alaska... I'm in Texas...

cwm36.gif

Just about as far as I could get in the U.S. I'm curious, how did you ship your Cornwalls? His speakers aren't packaged or anything yet.

This message has been edited by Jo-Jo on 07-16-2001 at 08:31 PM

Go to UPS.com or UnitedParcelService.come either/or or just search for UPS. You can enter zip codes, weight, insurance value, and size and get a very close estimate.

Shipping for my recently purchased Academy 40lbs, COD and $150 ins was $46.

Scott

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - Academy (Black)

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

This message has been edited by Tenhet on 07-16-2001 at 08:49 PM

I already tried the UPS site, didn't help a whole lot, besides, I've found that both FedEx and UPS are charging more than the regular Postal Service does.

This message has been edited by Jo-Jo on 07-16-2001 at 09:14 PM

Jo-Jo, the least expensive way to ship Cornwalls and larger speakers I've found is BAX Global (1-800-225-5229). Mine were wrapped in plastic, custom crated in plywood... and made the trip without incident... and I can't say that for other shippers I have tried.

Good luck. Wavey.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-16-2001 at 09:56 PM

Jo-Jo

When I sold my KV3 to a fellow lister here, I didn't have the original box so I (actually, my wife) took it to Mail Boxes, Etc. to have it packed & shipped (Georgia to Seattle). She said it looked like they did a good job packing it, but to be honest, I was skeptical. The new owner emailed me to let me know it had arrived and in his message he commented that he couldn't get over how well it was packed.

YMMV.

Tom Adams

Jo-Jo,

I had the shipping backwards in my first post. I bought the Cornwalls from a fellow in NY. He had the original shipping cartons (from the early 80's) and we were able to ship them via UPS. They survived the trip nicely. I have actually had great luck using UPS if the items are packed properly (knock on wood). I have shipped several pairs of Heresys in heavy duty boxes that I bought at a Guardian Self Storage place. I wrapped the speakers in plastic and used 4 styrofoam corners (top & bottom). I then used some bubble wrap to fill in the open space on each side of the speaker. If I remember right each speaker ended up weighing ~40lbs and shipped easily and without damage.

I haven't been nearly as successful with shipping USPS no matter how well things were packed (damaged and/or lost items).

Good luck with your purchase!

------------------

Ed W

JO-JO--

I don't know if I'm too late, but I just thought of something. Do you live near a Klipsch dealership, and in or near a major city? Maybe long distance driving doesn't bother you; after all you DO live in Texas! While those Heresys look just fine, you can probably find a pair that is just as nice at either a Klipsch dealer, or a high-end audio dealer. Heresys aren't that rare, and big cities like Dallas, Houston, El Paso, Austin, and hell, even my father's hometown of Laredo prolly has a high-end audio dealer that may have a nice pair of "previously enjoyed" Heresys. If it were K-Horns or something Klipsch doesn't make anymore like the Cormwall, then I'd consider a long-distance purchase, but Heresys are the most common of the Heritage line. My friendly K dealer here in Rochester says he sees a pair of Heresys run through his used department about every other month! Most Heritage owners know they have a fine piece of electronic furniture, and they usually take exceptional care of them.

I saw you had another picture of the Heresy without the grille, but where is the other speaker? Also, if it is a COD, will you have the opportunity to open the packages, inspect them, and even run some music through them before you have to pay for them? Maybe you could treat the delivery guy to dinner while you hurriedly hook them up, and blast a few tunes through them! But, if you're still stuck on getting this particular pair, try to get more photos at least!

I was going to suggest the same thing as Mr. Blorry, Heresys are just not that hard to find. I don't think it would take long to find a pair locally, or at least closer than Alaska! I'll bet thats why you were considering the USPS for shipping? I don't think most other carriers go there very cheaply.

I have found 2 pair at garage sales. I bought 1 pair for $100 and the 2nd pair for $200.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress Smile.gif

------------------

Ed W

cwm14.gif Grr... I've contacted another guy who is selling Heresys and Heresy IIs (via edster), so now I'm waiting on two people to email me back... I've been waiting on one guy since Monday night, and I just tried to check my email, but I got a message saying that due to routine maintenance, I won't be able to check it again until about 12:00-1:00 tomarrow afternoon. cwm14.gif edster, you wouldn't want to sell me a pair of your heresys would you? cwm36.gif