SUNFIRE WITH LASCALAS

toomanyspeakers

Iam currently using a Sunfire MK IV with a pair of Lascalas and wondering if anyone else had a simular setup. I usually turn off the sub for music listening and turn it on for movies. I was wondering what crossover points others use as well as how the phase is adjusted. The sub is placed on the front wall between the speakers which are located on corners.

Well I don't have any Klipsch HT products as of this moment. But I have a pair of 1972 Pioneer CS-R700's which can be compared to the Klipsch Herrtiage series, they drop down to around 30hz. I have a Sunfire Signature to match them with a crossover point of 35hz, and it blends damn well. Although im gonna experiment with a crossover of 40hz, take a little more off the Pioneers.

Well I have a four RF7 setup(RC7 center and RF5's as side sourrounds)with three Sunfire subs(Super Junior,Mark II and Sig.)works great.

Yes and a few other subs too 1.gif

Sunfire subs are good from 50Hz down,never cut these above 60Hz as they start to drop fast above 60Hz.These tiny cubes are real subs only reproducing deep bass,no BS upper bass junk often mistaken for "speed","slam" and "musical bass".

----------------

On 6/22/2004 8:24:21 PM TheEAR wrote:

Well I have a four RF7 setup(RC7 center and RF5's as side sourrounds)with three Sunfire subs(Super Junior,Mark II and Sig.)works great.

Yes and a few other subs too
1.gif

Sunfire subs are good from 50Hz down,never cut these above 60Hz as they start to drop fast above 60Hz.These tiny cubes are real subs only reproducing deep bass,no BS upper bass junk often mistaken for "speed","slam" and "musical bass".

----------------

why rf5 for side surrounds why not just more rf-7?s

Why not ...another pair of RF7's,because I had purchased the RF5's first and found a duty for them that is perfect.When you have RF5's under a meter away from your ears you have planty of headroom 2.gif

Quality is plenty for side sourround use too

Crossover setting with depend upon (among other things) how steep the low pass filter is (how fast the highs are rolled off). I was using an REL Storm with my La Scalas, and found the optimal setting to be crossing over at 35 Hz. The REL had a fairly shallow slope on the high frequency roll off, so setting the crossover any higher than that tended to make male voice sound to chesty and sort of fuzzed up everything.

As to proper polarity, play something with midbass content. Adjust the polarity to whichever way you hear the *LEAST* bass. That is exactly 180 degrees away from where it should be.

TheEar,

You are a madman! Three Sunfire subs must really put some nice tight output! Your house must sound like one of those "pimpmobiles" I hear that have about 8000 watts fed into about 10 15" subs when you stand outside. I "only" have the Super Junior with my Heresy's and it blends P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y.

I have my crossover at around 80 or 90 Hz. Will I do better setting it around 50 or 60 Hz?

Milton

----------------

On 6/22/2004 10:19:10 AM toomanyspeakers wrote:

Iam currently using a Sunfire MK IV with a pair of Lascalas and wondering if anyone else had a simular setup. I usually turn off the sub for music listening and turn it on for movies. I was wondering what crossover points others use as well as how the phase is adjusted. The sub is placed on the front wall between the speakers which are located on corners.

----------------

strange... why turning the sub off for music?

The Scalas don't go low in the bass; they stop at around 50Hz. most music can benefit from deeper bass response...

if your sub is set-up properly, it shouldn't make the sound more "muddy".

milton10,

Yes I am a madman,thank you 9.gif6.gif7.gif

Sunfire subs work best from 60Hz down,excluding the sealed ones(Solitaire and KnightShadow,under the Carver brand).The sealed Sunfires as well as the sealed Velodynes HGS and SPL work great up to 80Hz and slightly up.

But who would use a real sub above 80Hz?

One thing, if I can be explain it in non technical terms.. The sunfire sub is quick to dissapate low energy. I, too, have found them to be very good subs for HT / AND music too. Very solid. Amazing that it all works out of such a small cube thing too. But trust me, get 1/2 way up the lineup, and it will (as we say in Indiana...) "Shake the plaster off of the walls!!" LOL.