Laserdisc info

jhawk92

Since you don't have LD collection already started,I wouldn't invest in it.

Now, if you can get a great deal on DTS LD's that are not available on DVD yet,maybe get it.

I have benn into LD for about 9 yrs now. Have about 100 titles now.

Sound Quality: Many DVDs do not hold a candle to LD. It is compressed too much and you lose quality. DVD has great potential,if the studios new what to do with it. Columbia's SUPERBIT titles are a great example.

Video Quality: This is where DVD shines! Except where DTS LD's are concerned. I have several DTS titles on LD, and they are as good as,if not better than their DVD counterpart. For example, I compared Armageddon DTS LD with the Criterion DTS DVD. You can not tell it is LD (til it comes for side change).

I still need to get a RF Demodulator. So when I get new processor,I can still use LD, since most new equipment don't have RF inputs.

It will take a lot to completely abandon LD.

I have a Pioneer DLV-700 Combo player which plays CDs, DVDs, laserdiscs. It has the AC3 RF out which I connect through a Yamaha ADP1 demodulator. I've never had any issues with the sound. It decodes AC3 just fine and has a very dynamic sound. It's connected to a Yamaha RX-V2095 with Klipsch Kg4s, KV3/KLF-C7, RS-3 and SW8. I have approximately 80+ discs including two Star Wars collector sets. I think my favorite movie on laserdisc is "The Hunt for Red October". I have the DVD, but the video and audio quality is much better on the LD. I plan to sell my Star Wars Original Collector's box set, if anyone's interested. I believe it includes the first three movies in CAV along with a book which hasn't been opened. I bought it as a collector piece and have probably only viewed each movie once. It originally sold for $250. If anyone is interested I could be persuaded to sell. The upgrade bug is biting.

----------------

On 6/26/2004 6:32:57 PM MagnumMan wrote:

Since you don't have LD collection already started,I wouldn't invest in it.

Now, if you can get a great deal on DTS LD's that are not available on DVD yet,maybe get it.

I have benn into LD for about 9 yrs now. Have about 100 titles now.

Sound Quality: Many DVDs do not hold a candle to LD. It is compressed too much and you lose quality. DVD has great potential,if the studios new what to do with it. Columbia's SUPERBIT titles are a great example.

Video Quality: This is where DVD shines! Except where DTS LD's are concerned. I have several DTS titles on LD, and they are as good as,if not better than their DVD counterpart. For example, I compared Armageddon DTS LD with the Criterion DTS DVD. You can not tell it is LD (til it comes for side change).

I still need to get a RF Demodulator. So when I get new processor,I can still use LD, since most new equipment don't have RF inputs.

It will take a lot to completely abandon LD.

----------------

MagnumMan..some questions for clarification: I thought none of the LD

had 5.1 DD or 5.1 DTS. I know Dobly Digital was called AC-3 when first

introduced but it was not full six channel sound. If not how is it better?

Second..You say that the video quality of DTS LD are as good or better

than DVD's. What do you mean by DTS LD's. It it the same as DTS soundtrack?

LD could never display 480 progressive so how could it ever diplay a better

PQ?

" I thought none of the LD had 5.1 DD or 5.1 DTS. I know Dobly Digital cas called AC-3 when first

introduced but it was not full six channel soun"

That isn't correct. AC-3 on LD is the full 5.1 sound like on a DVD.

"You say that the video quality of DTS LD are as good or better than DVD's. What do you mean by DTS LD's. It it the same as DTS soundtrack?"

The DTS on LD isn't quite the same as the DTS on DVD, it is more like the DTS on music discs. DTS on LD it actually runs at twice the typical bit rate that it runs on DVD.

Also, in both cases for AC-3/DD and DTS some feel the mixes were more dynamic on LD as in that format it was known that the systems they would be watched/listened to were typically higher quality as it was more of a niche market.

The other difference is on a LD if the movie just has a two channel soundtrack it will be in uncompressed PCM format just like a CD. On a DVD a two channel track will typically be a compressed DD2.0 soundtrack.

"LD could never display 480 progressive so how could it ever diplay a better PQ?"

DVD as a format itself isn't 480 progressive either. Many DVD players have a chip built into them which line doubles/deinterlaces the 480i native signal from the DVD and converts it to 480p.

LD players don't have this built in but you can use a line doubler or a video scaler with them to get 480p (or higher) as well.

Shawn

I'm glad someone could clear it up. I'm not that great when it comes to technical details! :)

It does seem weird that LDs can look as good as DVD. It shocked me the first time I watched a DTS LD.

I recently got Titanic DTS LD on ebay. I have trying to get it for some time! I should have worn a bib when watching! I was drooling!! Still wanting True Lies & Independence Day in DTS. But both those titles are becoming rare. They usually go for over $100 each. I paid $150 for Titanic. I lucked out on Armageddon. I got it for about $50,long before it became rare. I have seen it go for as high as $200!

• 2 weeks later...

first time i watched a dvd, i was disappointed in the picture, having had an LD player for 3 or 4 years prior.

weird thing happened to one of my LD's though - "laser rot" - not scratches, but weird corruption that pretty much made the movie unwatchable. anyone know what I'm talking about?

i got rid of my player and movies after getting DVD, though, just because LD's became so obsolete so fast.

Looking forward to the day I upgrade to progressive scan player and HD TV.

"weird thing happened to one of my LD's though - "laser rot" - not scratches, but weird corruption that pretty much made the movie unwatchable. anyone know what I'm talking about?"

Laser discs were built by gluing two halves of the disc together. If you look at the edge of a LD you can seem the seam of the two pieces.

Laser rot typically occurs when the plant the discs were made at let some type of contamination get into the two halves of your disc. When they were glued together that contamination slowly eats away/corrodes at the LD medium. Eventually it does enough damage that the disc starts to have playback problems and eventually will get to the point where a LD player won't be able to play the disc. This was more common in the early days of LD but still occured on occasion at the end of the formats life.

Another related problem some discs had was having the glue ooze out the edges over time. That tends to glue the LD into the jacket and makes it a real mess trying to clean this up.

Shawn

----------------

On 6/30/2004 12:52:48 AM MagnumMan wrote:

I'm glad someone could clear it up. I'm not that great when it comes to technical details!
:)

It does seem weird that LDs can look as good as DVD. It shocked me the first time I watched a DTS LD.

I recently got Titanic DTS LD on ebay. I have trying to get it for some time! I should have worn a bib when watching! I was drooling!! Still wanting True Lies & Independence Day in DTS. But both those titles are becoming rare. They usually go for over $100 each. I paid $150 for Titanic. I lucked out on Armageddon. I got it for about $50,long before it became rare. I have seen it go for as high as $200!

----------------

that is not that shocking considering LD were generally 60-100 dollars to purchase new to begin with. i still don't see how LD can be better then dvd. I have not found one yet that even comes close to a dvd. Of corse i don't have DTS, but that is just the sound(which is pretty close with DD sound tracks between LD and DVD). Picture qualtiy, as far as i have seen, in LD just does not compete with DVD.