BEST SRV DSD SACD 2BUY 4ME KTHX

Whse sng is Acronyms N.E.way?

SRV - Stevie Ray Vaughan? I have double trouble, couldnt stand the weather(?) and one other the name of which escapes me now. Bugger - hate it when that happens. Nope - wont come to me. It will the second I hit the submit button I am sure.

Yeah, Stevie is great! Is there any of those with an excellent sound quality, something I can show off my new system with, as well as really enjoy?

Has anyone here ever listened to Acoustic Alchemy? I recommend them very highly. I've only heard one cd of theres, so if anyone here has a personal favorite I'll go pick it up!

Hey! I like Acoustic Alchemy! Although I like to call them AA...

Very nice guitar stuff, even though many dismiss them as "soft jazz." Some of their stuff is VERY involving, and recorded VERY well. A few cuts have extremely juvenile percussion (even I know a proper clave, thanks to C&S), but by and large, the core musicians are great. Seriously, I'd love to be able to offer them a few tweeking suggestions...

They've got a DVD out, BTW...

The album I couldnt remember the title of was "In Step". I think that is my favorite - but all mine are on vinyl so I cant help on what is avaiable on SACD / CD.

You might want to take a look at www.elusivedisc.com - they have a good selection of SACD's on line - and I think I got my In Step from them....I think anyway.

Sony did two SRV single layer SACDs, Couldn't Stand The Weather and Texas Flood.

With the inclusion of bonus material there are many songs that overlap between the two. I picked up CSTW a year ago and it is amazing. They mixed it with a lot of bass that makes it even more fun. It's borderline too much bass but it sure is fun cranking it up hoping things don't rattle off the walls.

You should note that CSTW has been out of print for a few months and has been hard to find outside of ebay where it might go for a premium.

There is also another SRV and Albert King SACD titled In Session from Fantasy. $17.99 at Acoustic Sounds.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=12236

People seem to like this one too. I haven't heard the SACD because I elected to pick up the limited edition 45rpm LP (two copies, one sealed2.gif ) mastered by Steve Hoffman. The SACD was not mastered by SH.

It is a great collection of songs, and the LP version includes some of the studio banter between SRV and Albert King. I don't know if the chatter is on the SACD.

SRV is one of my favs. Ive played much of his music in bands over the years. I first saw him on a Public TV clip of the, I think, the Monterey Pop Fest around 1979. Unfortunately even though I have many of his albums I dont think any of them are what I would call superior audio quality. One of his more enjoyable (and until recently reissued) obscure albums is Soul To Soul (not to be confused with Soul II Soul). It contains the beautiful blues ballad Aint Gonna Give Up on Love. I recently acquired the SRV/Albert King In Session CD. The sound quality is not that good. By it for the music only.

As a side note (youre going to think Im nuts but I can prove this), my previous dog died the night before SRV did. My current dog (who needs an attitude adjustment from time to time and has no problem digging his teeth into your flesh) loves SRV. And his favorite song is Aint Gonna Give Up on Love. Every time I play this he comes downstairs to the listening room & plants himself down in the middle of the room between the speakers! One time, a David Bowie song Lets Dance came on the radio while he & my wife were down there with me. She went upstairs to check on dinner. The dog usually follows her. This time he stayed until the song was over. Whats so significant about this you might ask? David Bowie hired SRV to play on that song & album! The dog obviously knows what hes listening to!

----------------

On 6/25/2004 9:18:07 AM maxg wrote:

Artto,

Your dog has good taste - but you are nuts - you know that dont you???

----------------

Of course I do! And damn proud of it! Just wanted to make sure you guys have no doubts!

BTW Max, your black dog.......looks like my dog's twin!

I had a slightly nutty aunt and uncle, who had a quirky spaniel named Gazelle. Anyway, Gazelle would sit in front of the speakers when they played Roger Williams' "Autumn Leaves." EVERY time Roger played that descending glissando, Gazelle would close her eyes, point her nose at the ceiling, and howl! Almost made you think she was a dog...At the time, it seemed way more amazing than it does reading this now.

I first saw SRV at a concert in Austin, TX in 1984 when he opened for the Moody Blues. I had never heard of him at that point in time and was there to see the Moodies. I couldn't believe how crazy everyone was going for this local opening act (before he even stepped out on the stage). Needless to say, after he began playing I quickly discovered why. I have most of his CDs and recently picked up the DVD "Live From Austin, Texas". Can't say any are 'extremely' well recorded but you can't fault the level of play or talent.

Regards,

Dave