Who owns a Sony 400 disc DVD changer?

mandi

well tell us about it. I want to get a new disc changer. I currently have a Fisher 25 disc changer which will move to the Gee-rage when I get a new one. Since I have a pretty big collection of audio DVDs I thought this would be a good option.

I've had one for 3 years now. No problems whatsoever. While not considered audiophile gear, I'm happy with the sound. Nothing like getting rid of all those jewel cases. One recommendation though; get the one that comes with the remote control that has the lcd on top. It's much easier to see it than the display on the unit from a distance.

I have a 200 disc Sony,about 4yrs old,never a problem and very handy for ease of family member use.Its not an audiophile cd player by a long shot but I only use it for movies and storage.

I have a 300 disk DVD player from Sony. It is two-thirds full and has no problems other than it is a bit slow to change disks. The neatest feature is that it flips disks that are two sided. It replaced a 300 disk Pioneer that could not handle more than 75 disks.

I have read that the 400 disk units are not as reliable. My advice is to buy from a dealer that allows returns. One Sony model also plays SACDs. I would look at that model.

Bill

PS: This model look interesting: http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_20535.htm

Yes, the one I have looked at is progressive scan and plays DVDs, SACDs, MP3s.

I have a pretty good collection of audio DVDs and think it would be neat to have a random concert going on. I have it so the video will play in two rooms and I want to get the Denon 3805 so then I can have a 5.1 concert going on in one room and a 2 channel concert going on in the other room while everyone is watching the same video, and then have 2 channel going on outside without the video. Now if we only knew of some folks to invite over for a party we would be set.

I have the Sony DVP-CX985V 400 DVD Changer. I've had it since it first came out. It is my first changer. It performs well, both picture and sound. Its fairly easy to use. I use it mostly for CDs, SACDs, Concert DVDs, and a few movie DVDs.

I would say the hardest thing about it is keeping track of the discs that are loaded. It has an "explorer" feature that lets you see the DVDs/CDs on screen and scroll through them, but it is slow since it insists on showing disc cover images. If there is no cover image (such as with most CDs and many old DVDs) it inserts a generic image. You can make it show only CDs or DVDs (or three groups that you create) which speeds things up a little. Additionally, you input only VERY limited disc title and artist information. VERY VERY little.

I do not use the explorer feature - this is how I handle discs:

1. I have a album of sleeved CD booklets in numbered pockets. Actually, its two 200 disc CD holders. This is mostly too have the books accessable and people can browse through it. I put all of the booklets in the folders and stored the jewel boxes in a cardboard box in a closet.

2. Most importantly, I am in the process of programming all of the titles in my PRONTO programmable universal remote. CDs and Concert DVDs are indexed by artist. Choose an artists and you get a screenful of discs for that artist. Choose a disc and the changer automatically loads and plays the disc. The disc listing also indicates which slot a disc is in so that I can borrow and replace discs in the changer without much effort to remember where they go.

3. I keep twenty slots open and unprogrammed on the remote for temporary discs and movies that will eventually find a permanent slot or be stored in their cases.

I like it a lot, but its easy to lose a disc and not know where it is.

David

Denon AVR-3803 receiver

Klipsch RB-75, RC-35, RS-35 speakers

Sony DVP-CX985V DVD Mega Changer

Phillips PRONTO TSU3000 remote

Mitsubishi 65" Platinum Plus HDTV

Zenith 1080 HDTV receiver, antennae pointed at LA

and, of course, TIVO!

Tiger, thanks for the input. I thought about how to keep track of discs. I am currently putting all my music in a data base. I already had one set up for Karoke discs, then I print out a menu for them. I also have them in numbered pocket holders. Figured I could do the same but just use the number of the tray it is in.

My brother (another Klipsch nut) has a Sony 200 cd player model CX260, with optical out. He said it can play DTS discs. It's about 3 years old. Very reliable if a bit slow changing discs. The only trouble he had with it was when he moved house he didn't take the discs out and the player jammed. He simply took the cover off, removed the malfunctioning disc and it's running fine again.