Can someone explain HDTV?

mandi

Okay, I understand the High Definition. I do not keep up with this stuff, I just see TV prices more than my first car. At some point in time will we HAVE to have a high definition television? Will EVERYTHING at some point be formatted with the widescreen aspect ratio? Or, is this all just marketing to sell new TVs. Because along with a new TV probably means new furniture of some type. I can see this getting out of hand REAL FAST. Did I not hear 2005 mentioned by a salesman at one time.

Just for fun go into a store looking for receivers and they will of course sell you a 7.1 system. Then ask them to show or tell you everything that is in 7.1. I think the same is being done with High Definition.

Someone please enlighten me

Oh, another thing. Why do they not loose the speakers on TVs. At least this would force my family to learn how to use the remote. They like it when I turn everything on. So why don't they? Can't figure out the remote. Sad thing is, there is only one remote. Push one button to tell the remote what you will be manipulating (DVD, CD, TUNER, VCR, TV) then use the other buttons to manipulate. Master button turns on three things at once, RCV, TV and VCR. Got it, I knew you would but we have been working with this crew for years.

Basically the FCC mandated that all Broadcasts be in digital

by 2007? (give or take). One type of Digital broadcast is High

Definition. The standard format of HD is 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

Will all broadcasts be in HD...probable not but thats my guess.

There are a lot of channels like CNN, TBS and so on that will

broadcast shows like the still do.

Thanks Picky, is everthing going as planned? If so it sounds to me that I WILL HAVE to purchase a HD capable machine. Either a box or new TV. And some have told me that my current TV will not take the box. And if everthing goes widescreen I do not think I would want to watch everthing with lines or stretched. So Tv manufacturers are sitting back laughing because folks are feeling they are being forced into purchasing a new set. What percent of folks do you think have no idea about this.

mandi: What percentage of people don't know about this? Well, if you are talking about my friends then almost nobody! LOL With the exception of one or two technically-savvy friends of mine, the rest either don't know, don't care or both.

Although, I am unaware if these things are "on schdule" or not, it would be my guess that someone will most likey come up with a set-top box that will convert the HD signal so that it will be viewable on ANY TV, maybe even via the antenna leads, on sets that do not have RCA-type audio and video inputs. And, I would suspect that would include reducing it to the current 4:3 aspect format or at least place it in letterbox format. I really do not know this for certain.

----------------

On 6/28/2004 8:22:37 AM mandi wrote:

Thanks Picky, is everthing going as planned? If so it sounds to me that I WILL HAVE to purchase a HD capable machine. Either a box or new TV. And some have told me that my current TV will not take the box. And if everthing goes widescreen I do not think I would want to watch everthing with lines or stretched. So Tv manufacturers are sitting back laughing because folks are feeling they are being forced into purchasing a new set. What percent of folks do you think have no idea about this.

----------------

No worse than the transition from black&white to color. This is really the first significant transition in TV technology we've had since the late 60's. Remember what happened? The technology got cheap enough to where people who didn't want to spend a fortune on a color tv could buy one for cheap.

It's already happening. Integrated Tube HD sets are already available for less than $1K.

As far as the "box" is concerned, DirecTV is already digital broadcast. They are already positioned to handle downconverting HD signals to where average Joe sixpack can watch it on his analog television. So are most cable companies out there, with their digital cable boxes.

The panic is unnecessary. By the time you're ready to make the leap into HD, you'll have access to inexpensive HD sets - but just like standard sets, you'll get exactly what you pay for.

"access to inexpensive HD sets" that is what I was waiting to hear. I think they will go down. I do not want huge. Just somewhere around 50ish but man I do not want to spend 3k. I have been pleased with BOTH of my televisions purchased in the last 20 years.

The washer and dryer have also done me well. You probably only need to purchase two of those in your lifetime. The first set gets you through the kids and then the load cuts down tenfold. I have no idea why girls must change five times in one day.

Agreed, well put Griff. HDTV does completely rock, we see the market changing already as prices drop. When your ready to dive in, enjoy. I got into it when we only had 2 HD channels, now we have all the majors. Initially it was cool for DVD's, then the HD stuff just - well incredible!

I did want to add... 5.1 seems to be the standard that is going to stick. Look at the available titles in 7.1 or other formats beyond 5.1 and it is slim and not really catching on. That said... add another pair to the back surrounds slightly up on the side walls if your mono pole (Single cabinet not two tweeters in different directions..) And you will be in for a treat. The wow factor is awesome!!

The other, deciding call it WAF or whatever, people beyond a left, center, right, and two in the rear plus a sub is enough. For a lot of people it is just too expensive and too many speakers to go beyond that.

Kinda like Betamax vs VHS video tapes. Beta (Owned by Sony) had better sound and clearity. But the masses prefered a wider choice of Movies / Machines on VHS.

If it gives you any comfort about the 2006 date to convert, and this time I think we will see it maybe* LOL. I was in Chicago at CES (Consumer Electronic Show) in 1981?? When they announced that in 5 years EVERYTHING will be digital TV wise. The manufactuers got in line, the broadcasters and engineers all have argued, all trying to get an exact standard first, to not have another betamax vhs standard with High Def too. 25 years later, billions I am sure spent too, we may see it happen. That TV I saw in 1981? It looks just like the one I have today... Breathless!!!