First time with Klipsch - Fortes

dstrachan

I've been using PSB Stratus bronzes but have decided to make the switch to horns...specifially Klipsch Fortes.

Looking for tips on placement in my room (18X12)...listening height, toe-in, distance from walls etc.

Later, after I have had a chance to listen, I'll be back for some tweaking advice...if necessary

Cheers

Welcome and congratulations. Once you've heard the horns you'll never go back.

Hopefully the experts will be along shortly to help you out, because I certainly don't qualify. Also, if you use the search button at the top right you'll find a host of anciallary information that will be be of use.

Dstrachan:

Welcome! I have Forte's as my main L&R speakers in a home theater setup. They are just over eight feet apart, toed in towards the seating. Since I do not know the exact toe-in angle, the nearest point of each speaker back to the wall is 17"; farthest point of each speaker back to wall is 21". Looks like about 10 - 15 degrees, eyeballing it. I enjoy them very much, I know you will too. Hope there are others also who can make suggestions, this is my setup. Good luck!

Popbumper9.gif

IMHO placement is a subject that is best tackled "on site" each room, system and personal taste affects the process of finding the perfect spot for the speakers. since the forte has a back firing passive radiator start about 18" from the back wall, without toe-in...form there you really need to work this on your own, in your room, with your music. try toeing in, etc. until you are satisfied with the sound. warm regards, tony

TOny,

Nice to run into you on this forum. You also helped me out with your feedback over on the Audioasylum!

Thanks for the tips, I will enjoy playing with these until I get them right.

Question - I read where some guy had raised his 15"and said that the soundstage and clarity improved noticeably. Is this normal? These are already 3'high.

THanks,

Dave

Thanks for the link.

I'm a bit confused (and nervous). Some of my research described the Fortes as incredibly smooth in the highs and mids with deep bass and able to compete with very expensive ($10K) speakers. Yet every once in awhile, I read something that describes them as harsh and "brassy" sounding. I find it hard to believe that this is a matter of taste. I know these are supposed to be better with tubes which is what I will be driving them with but are these really a "cheap horn"speaker?/

Dave

Congrats on the speakers! You will love them, never mind the negative reviews, those people either need a hearing aid or are shills for other speaker makers.

I am the one who said to raise them up. It made a big difference! At 3' they are a bit short for floor standing speakers and a bit tall to put on a "bookshelf" You need to play with them in your room and with your seating. Mine are like I said, raised up about 15" and they are about 10" from the wall, square to the wall. My listening position is about 7' and centered from them in a room that is about 10' x 10' x 8'.

edit..

The article said "inexpensive" not cheap. It is all a matter of perspective. If your usual price range for speakers is $20,000 then $1,000 is inexpensive. To this ol boy though, that is a pile of money. Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the clarification and advice.

I know the only test is to hookém up and have a listen but I've got a couple of weeks before they arrive so too much time to think.

Is it also possible to tilt them with spikes versus raising them?

what kind of base did you build to raise yours?

I can't wait to have a listen and be able to share my experience here.

I had my Forte's on cinder blocks, with a protective sheet of cardboard from a box, covered with a lovely black velvet cloth. How sophisticated is that!! LOL. Anyhow, using 4 blocks (2 stacked crossways on top of 2) raised them 16" and put the horns at/near ear level. Worked great!

Thanks guys,

I'll give them a listen as they come first and experiment with raising them later. I imagine the intent is to get the tweeter to ear height...correct?

If so, the height of the riser would be different for each situation and dependant on the listening position height.

How big a difference and in what way did this improve the performance?

Thanks

I have mine raised about 12", basically gets the vocals to the right height and really widens the soundstage IMO. The only "harshness" Ive encountered is with old crappy CDs (like the Doors LA Woman ca. the mid-80s). I use a solid State Nakamichi reciever (TA-4) with no problems. I used to have a Kenwood way back when, with KG4s and harshness was more of an issue with that.

The best placement I have found for my small listening room (10X12X10) with the Fortes is - 1 foot away from the back wall, 6 feet apart, no toe-in, no raising and 6 feet from the listening position.

Thanks Neo.

I've been reading many of your posts in trying to learn more about the Klipsch experience.

ON another matter, how do you like the Jolida CDP? I'm using a Rotel 951 as a transport and a Theta Pro Basic IIIa DAC. I have been seriously considering going to a tube CDP and have been looking at the Jolida.

Regards,

"ON another matter, how do you like the Jolida CDP? I'm using a Rotel 951 as a transport and a Theta Pro Basic IIIa DAC. I have been seriously considering going to a tube CDP and have been looking at the Jolida."

I have posted my opinions about the Jolida JD-100A CD Player in this thread.