Another Philips DVD 963SA mod

dubai2000

By chance I read about another mod for the Philips player: dampening the clock with rope caulk (sp?), blue tack etc.

Not really knowing what I was looking for inside the player, I received the following information from a friendly AA inmate:

"It is a very obvious looking component because in most cases it looks like a cromed sardine can and in others a cromed box. Your computer has them on most cards ( motherboard, videocard etc...).

Specifically on the 963SA it is a cromed little can about 1cm in lenght. You could also use silicon glue ( the same used with fish aquariums) but do not stop at the crystal. Damp the chassis, lid and put a strip on the capacitors (nothing that gets hot like power suply and etc..) the improvment is very, very good. more detail, air etc..."

Well, I located the clock on the lower PCB, added rope caulk (also a little bit to the bottom of the chassis/lid) and received.....a more focused sound.

Solo piano has more body, each tone is more 'separate' than before; when listening to the Stones' 'Beggars Banquet' I noticed some guitar phrases which were kind of submerged in the mix until now.

Clearly a simple but effective mod which raises the player's performance yet again. It might sound like vodoo, but according to my ears - it works!

Wolfram

• 1 month later...

I just finished doing mine. About $3.00 worth of asphalt sheet, a Nippon Chem-con 330mF 450VDC capacitor (I'm too cheap for a Black Gate LOL) and a .02mF cap across the 330. I did damp the clock as well as the top, bottom and sides and some of the transport, being careful not to disturb moving parts.

The difference is immediately noticable and worth the meager cost of the components. Nice $163 player with great features. Someone else said that the 96KHz upsampling was the best sounding and I heartily agree. 128KHz seems too "bassy" to me. 96KHz is just mellow and truckin'.

Best Redbook I've ever encountered yet. Even though I've got a Scott 340B in the Blueberry/Khorn system right now burning in. I can only imagine how good the Wrights will sound.

Rick

Anyone want to share a photo of this tweak? Sounds like a winner.

My player also gets hotter than you'd expect from a CD player.

I have had problems with the player in "Progressive Scan" mode. The picture will be very blue-ish, but it will look fine in Interlaced mode. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I think my old Mitsubish 6000 PS player had a slightly better picture, but the audio improvement, especially with vocals, gives the Philips the overall nod.

Not tryng to hijack the thread but I've got a Pioneer 563A SACD/DVDA DVD player and I was wondering if any of the mods talked about for the Philips would also work for the Pioneer. So far I'm only marginally impressed with the Pioneer.

dgb,

look at my initial post which quotes from the AA how to identify the clock - you won't miss it.

Sorry, no pic and I have no experience with the progressive scan feature. BTW: picture quality is fine, better than my previous Pioneer player.

Wolfram

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 9/8/2004 12:46:33 PM dgb wrote:

I have had problems with the player in "Progressive Scan" mode. The picture will be very blue-ish, but it will look fine in Interlaced mode. Any suggestions?

----------------

dgb, are you still having an issue with this?

When I set up my Philips 963, I had a similar issue by I cured it by one of the soft switches in the picture setup.

If you're still having the issue, shoot me an email and I'll see if I can investigate. Our Philips' units may share some of this operational software.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

----------------

On 10/9/2004 10:18:50 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

----------------

On 9/8/2004 12:46:33 PM dgb wrote:

----------------

dgb, are you still having an issue with this?

When I set up my Philips 963, I had a similar issue by I cured it by one of the soft switches in the picture setup.

If you're still having the issue, shoot me an email and I'll see if I can investigate. Our Philips' units may share some of this operational software.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online:

----------------

Yes, I fixed the same problem by changeing the pro scan setting in the video setup.

Tom

Hopefully this will fix the problem. This is the only problem with this thing. The sound is fantastic, but the Interlaced picture is nowhere near as good as my old Mitsubish progressive scan was. Of course the Mits was 4x more expensive than the Philips.