Academy for Sale

Johnny O

Greetings Everybody,

I am running my home theater with Forte II fronts, RS rears, an Infinity SWS-10 sub and a KG 2.2V center. The center occasionally sounds muffled during movies. I've calibrated the system with an analogue meter and downfired the center toward our listening position. I'm still not 100% satisfied.

I was thinking of upgrading the center to an RC-35 but the post here seem to discourage it. It seems that the Academy center is the speaker most recommended and compatible.

So...Does anyone have an Academy for sale?

Or if someone has a better center solution, I am receptive to your advice.

Sincerely,

Johnny O

Listening environment: 14' x 24' Living room with hardwood floors, no rugs.

Center is 8' from listening position

Fronts are 11' from listening position

Rears are 7' from listening position

Sub is 8' from listening position

You're about 4 days too late. A forum member had one for sale but it ended up on ebay, gone in minutes.

They're very hard to find but would be a great match with your fortes. Do some research on the forum and you'll find what others in your situation have done. There are lots of options including building your own custom center if you're so inclined.

If you do find a nice one on ebay, it'll cost you an arm and a leg.14.gif

Ah, I realized I missed the boat on that last Academy when I spent several hours sorting through all these posts. If someone has another Academy out there I may be able to throw in my KG 2.2 center to help sweeten the deal.

I am very grateful for this forum. Through it I learned that Radio Shack (Rat Shack) had discontinued those analog sound meters. I was able to search and find 3 of those.

Also my ProMedia 5.1 PC speaker system took a dive and through this post I learned that Klipsch was replacing them with the Ultra's. RecentIy I received a new set of Ultra's for my pc.

Way cool for gaming.

On the auction, "THIS BABY KICKS A**! literally..."

Is this what public education has done to the literacy level in the US?

Was this auction changed? I saw this early in it's posting and I thought I read that it has had work done to it that is now not spelled out. Anyone else see that?

Thanks for the heads up...

I've seen the one on Ebay. It shows an indentation in the center of one of the cones. The seller says that this doesn't affect play because this is just a dust cap.

What are Klipsch forum readers opinions on that? Don't worry they are just dust caps or wait for a better speaker to become available?

----------------

On 7/12/2004 10:47:58 PM Johnny O wrote:

Thanks for the heads up...

I've seen the one on Ebay. It shows an indentation in the center of one of the cones. The seller says that this doesn't affect play because this is just a dust cap.

What are Klipsch forum readers opinions on that? Don't worry they are just dust caps or wait for a better speaker to become available?

----------------

Don't worry too much about that... The general consensus is that it in fact will not affect anything. As a matter of fact, if you plan on keeping the grill on, it won't matter at all because you won't even see it. Actually, if you don't mind you could probably use that to your advantage as it might drive the price down substantially... And besides, if you get the urge to replace it later, I believe you can still get the drivers from Klipsch.1.gif

----------------

On 7/12/2004 10:47:58 PM Johnny O wrote:

... It shows an indentation in the center of one of the cones. The seller says that this doesn't affect play because this is just a dust cap.

What are Klipsch forum readers opinions on that?

----------------

The problem isn't the dent in the dust cap, but what was done to the driver that caused the dent, and how else this speaker may have been abused.