Yamaha RX-V650 vers. RX-V1400

zyepod

I have a RX-V650 now and have the option to upgrade to the RX-V1400 for around $150... I'm happy with my RX-V650 but was just thinking what the heck. Is the 1400 worth the difference or should I save my money for other equipment?

I'm doing a similar leap. got an RXV850 now, but thinking of getting a 3300 or 2400 (I tend to like second-form-top-of-the-line)

Here's the upgrades so far as I can tell:

You'll be getting Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of ProLogic 4 channel

which means 5 real discrete channels plus the dedicated sub feed instead of your LFR + one rear channel now (yes both rears are getting the same signal now)

You'll also get matched amplifiers of the same power rating, whereas now yours is similar to mine which is 80-80-80-25-25, so the rear channels are getting much less power than the fronts.

You'll also get newer and better surround formats for your music, phone preamp still, and the much loved REC OUT/2ND Zone switch which I find very handy. I think the better Yamahas also have the calibrated microphone which makes eq adjustments to your sweet spot instead of relying only on bass/treble or outboard eq controls.

SO UPGRADE- yer old unit will suffice for the office/basement/bedroom or other zone you need a 'backup' HT system.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I do already have Dolby Digital, 5.1 and DTS 6.1 with 95-95-95 front, 95-95-95 surround and rear surround. From the best I can tell the difference is with the RX-V1400 I'll be getting THX, 110X7, learner remote, detachable power chord, etc... I have also read that the RX-V1400 has a fan... Not sure about my RX-V650.

zyepod:

I have the RX-V1400 and it doesn't have a fan.

The only difference between the 1400 and 2400 is that the 2400 has an RS232 port and a few more watts. I figured for the $ difference it wasn't worth it.

Go to the Yamaha website and you can click on various models to make a comparison chart.

On review websites the RX-V1400 gets high marks.

Ill agree with Frank, I also have the 1400, I was going to purches the 2400, but it had nothing I needed for the $200 more(10 more watts per channel if Im not mistaken. And the port

Frank spoke of.

I think for my money to get a better Yamaha, I would have to jump to the big Z-1,Z-9 to make a big diff IMO. But thiers big bucks too.

Sorry, I thought the 650 was in the same league as my 850. Yamaha does weird things with their numbering.

Let's see last year it was 2300 and 3300, now the 2nd and 3rd to top of line are 1400 and 2400.

See, numbering wise is looks like a downgrade? Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I'd stick with the 650, unless you really needed THX or the auto=-optimize. BTW, does that feature let you then 'tweak' the sound with the built-in parametric after you optimize? Or do you just have to stay with the settings it locks in?