Weekly Music Recommnedations by Member July 12

thebes

Ok. It's the third week for having a place to recommend some music to your fellow Forum Members. Great stuff so far. Already purchased a couple and hope you have too.

Let's see if we can build on this so let your friends on the Forum know what we're doing here.

Format is the same, name of group/individual, type of music (cd. lp, etc) and type of music as best you can (rock, classical etc.)

I'll start it off with:

Buddy Guy "Feels Like Rain", cd, Chicago Blues, awesome guitar work from a true master of the blues

I have been listening to the Pearl Harbor soundtrack all week. It is so awesome! Hans Zimmer really outdid himself when he did it. I rate it 5 stars, on a 5 star scale. I only have it in fairly low quality, I went out to buy it yesterday, but wal mart didnt have it, so Ill get my grandpa to pick it up tomorrow. I hope this helps!!!!

(I posted this yesterday, but, stupid me, put it in the thread for last week's suggestions; sorry about the duplication) I nominate the Desert Island/Verve remastered CD of 1963's "Getz/Gilberto" (Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto), which features the original recording of "Girl from Ipanema." I am usually not the biggest fan of this Brazilian Bossa Nova jazz genre, but the fantastic remaster of this recording, along with the simple close miking of the vocals and sax, make you feel like the musicians are in the room with you. I rarely/never use the word "sublime," but I think it is an apt description of this famous recording. I first heard it about a month ago at a friend's house, and and immediately had to get it myself.

PS: Thanks to Thebes and others for making this a recurring thread every week; recommending music and movies to others is a vastly underused function of the forum.

I just picked this up tonight:

Nightwish - Oceanborn. This is some very epic symphonic power metal. I've never heard such an interesting mix of orchestral, operatic, and stright-up metal before. The female vocolist is just something else on here. Certainly some powerful music here. I just cannot get over how awesome this truly sounds on my Klipsch.

----------------

On 7/13/2004 2:29:27 PM RichardP wrote:

(I posted this yesterday, but, stupid me, put it in the thread for last week's suggestions; sorry about the duplication) I nominate the Desert Island/Verve remastered CD of 1963's "Getz/Gilberto" (Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto), which features the original recording of "Girl from Ipanema." I am usually not the biggest fan of this Brazilian Bossa Nova jazz genre, but the fantastic remaster of this recording, along with the simple close miking of the vocals and sax, make you feel like the musicians are in the room with you. I rarely/never use the word "sublime," but I think it is an apt description of this famous recording. I first heard it about a month ago at a friend's house, and and immediately had to get it myself.

PS: Thanks to Thebes and others for making this a recurring thread every week; recommending music and movies to others is a vastly underused function of the forum.

----------------

Have you heard the SACD version? You'd think they were in the room with you. It's an incredible recording.

While I'm here I guess I have to give a recommendation. How about Thelonious Monk, "Straight, No Chaser" on SACD. Great album and beautifully recorded SACD.

I think this is a really interesting thread..

For my recommendation I choose the cd "Elodia" by the band "Lacrimosa." It is an amazing blend of metal and symphonic orchestra. All songs except one are in german language. All song were written by Tilo Wolff, but the recording of the album involved 187 musicians including several choirs and the London Symphony Orchestra. There's a review on amazon by Mr D that is pretty in depth if you want more info..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00001ZTFY/qid=1089851544/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-4137841-9435927?v=glance&s=music

"Stille" is another great cd by Lacrimosa.

My pick this week:

"The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith" by the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerry Goldsmith, Telarc SACD No.60433.

On this one you know that the orchestra got it right from the horse's mouth. Goldsmith's music takes full advantage of the SACD's detail and dynamics.

The SACD starts out with the theme from Star Trek the Motion Picture which is the high point of the movie. (Not much of a movie, but the music was excellent.) The Telarc recording has no noise or hash and captures the full flavor of Goldsmith's music. It sounds better at home than it did in the movie theater.

Talented composers work in motion pictures today due to the compensation. Goldsmith is one of the very best and he showcases some of his finest works. He has composed so many famous themes that he had to condense some of them into two long medleys.

Bill