Help With Forte II and Amp Combo

tommy499

I have just acquired a pair of Forte II on E-Bay. I have them paired with a Yamaha cx-830 pre, HK 770 amp. The highs seem terribly bright and harsh. They sound terrible at any high volumes. My listening room is large, hardwood floors, cathedral ceilings, all wood walls and ceiling. I do plan on a large oriental style carpet direcly in front of the speakers. I did try an amp switch to a pair of mono blocked Haflers DH 200. The bass was better but no change on the high end. Could the Yamaha sound that bad?? What should I try next?? Thanks!!

Why not try your Heresy's with the front end you're using to see if they also sound harsh. If so, you've found your problem.

As Mark said, many people here use tube amps with the older Klipsch for 2-channel. Just today I listened to my Chorus II's (similiar to Forte's) with a SS receiver and the sound was a bit bright for my whimpy ears. I later wired in my Scott 222-C and enjoyed the improvement.

After making sure your Forte's are up to par and if you're still unhappy with their sound, you might do a search here using 'Scott' and you'll find plenty of info regarding various tube amps from owners of Forte's.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Keith

I have been listening to my original Forte pair for since 1986 so am familiar with the sound. The II's I gather are similiar if not exactly the same. Yes they can sound bright with SS amps. Definitely go with a tube amp of low power. It's the first watt that you will be listening to with speakers as efficient as these. When I changed from SS to tube oh my it's a different universe with the Forte. I can heartily recommend the Jolida 102b and final tuning for your ear and room by a little tube rolling. This amp and speaker combo makes MUSIC as compared to the sterile harsh sounds that assault your ears from a SS amp. This of course assumes that the speakers are in good working order. Enjoy9.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2004 7:30:42 PM tommy499 wrote:

I have consider the fact that there could be driver damage to these. Not sure how I can tell. I do have a pair of Heresy II that sound great, though I have not hooked them up to the same set-up.

----------------

HII and Forte use same tweeter and midrange drivers/horns. i would look into damage. oops i just realized you have ForteII, i think those are different than HII.

I bought a pair of Forte II's about 9 months ago. I ran them with an early 70's Marantz 2270, and thought they sounded great. I could only compare them to the early big Advents I had, but the sound was vastly improved. I had read here that tube was the way to go. Long story short I ended up buying a Cayin TA 30 w/all the mods from Paul at Bizzy Bee. I'm new to the tube amps but I couldn't be happier. Separation, diffenition and clarity are outstanding. I'm hearing a lot more music than I did before. My two cents says go with tubes. Good luck with your search.

I have picked up a clean looking Fisher 500C. I also grabbed a HK730 for $26.00!! I now have to build a room for all my extra equiptment. LOL Now I realize that this Fisher will only be the beginning of my new TUBE addiction. My girlfriend is worried about me!!! Thanks for all the help I have recieved on this board.

Tom