htxpert

Hi All

After reading the various tweeks posted on this site

and visiting a few fellow Klipsch Head's homes for

calibrating purposes I have decided to post a

mini how to for rack cable management.

Proper cable management for racked equiptmemt is

essential for good performance.If I had a choice

I would choose a rack that had "el cheapo" interconnects and wire that was cable managed over one that has super high end wires that is a tangle of mess. Todays modern racks usually offer cable management of some sort, you know the kind where you can run your wires inside the rack or through a single hole in the rear,is it wise to use these? You be the judge. The absolute best way to run your cables from your components is to have four individual "trunks" of wires all separated by the widest possible margin. One trunk for powercords, one trunk for speaker wire, one trunk for video interconnects and digital cables and one trunk for regular interconnects. If this is not possible at least separate the power cables from the rest of the wires. Running an interconnect or video cable down the length of a power cord is the worst thing you can do. Power cords should not be close to the other wires and cables and if at all possible try to avoid crossing wires and cables with powercords. If you must cross power cords with wires and cables do so at a 90 degree angle. I also recomend using a small length of rubber hose to further insulate the wire at the crossing point. A handy tool to have when running cables or verifying if your power cables are emmiting or leaking "RF" through the insulation is a cheap $2 compass. Simply take the compass and place it next to the power cord, does the compass indicator move? If it does this indicates there is leakage from the power cord disurbing the magnetic field of the compass. Now

what do you think would happen if you placed a

interconnect or wire next to that power cord?

Hmmmmmm maybe a hum or buzz? How about video noise

on your monitor? Can you imagine what would happen if

you ran a cable or wire next to it down that fancy

cable management column? Your Cables and wires should also have subtle bends and lay relaxed, try not to

kink your cables or make a short cable reach when it's

not long enough. Tie straps are a good way to keep your Cables and wires in their prospective trunks,but don't zip them too tight just enough to keep your trunks together. If you can afford it Velcro tie straps are better, these are available at your local Pro audio shop. If your power cords, cables and wires are too long figure 8 them instead of binding them in a circle. Thats all for now, stay tuned for part II

where we will discuss polarity.

Well Ht,I do just what you are talking about,have for years.

But I found a(to me)better way than tie wrapping wire togethere.

Anyone out there ever heard of Panduet(spelling?)anyway you can get it at your local electrical wholesaler.It's just a trough with slits down both sides.You can get these things in all kinds of widths and lengths.It has a cover that snaps over it when done and plenty of mounting holes.Not for everyone?My cabinets are wood and these things can't be seen from the front.

You can usually see this kind of thing in any type of electrical cabinet for controlers and large HVAC units and what not.

Just somethin' I wanted to add.

Panduit....

Officially, "Panduit Wire Duct." Panduit is the mfr.

Basically, "conduit" made for computer network patch panels that's not a permanent channel for wire like conduit is. Like he said, it's got a cover that snaps on, and if the wire must leave the channel at a place besides one of the ends, you can just leave one of the "slots" out of the cover.

A great suggestion, Steve - I hadn't thought of using this for HT.

Am moving to a new house soon, so I'll definitely be picking some of this stuff up!

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

This message has been edited by drewzter on 07-19-2001 at 02:17 PM

What about this:If you're using a vertical audio rack, place your receiver or preamp and other components lower than your surge protector/conditioner.Your power cords run up,and everything else run down.Plus the power cords are then nowhere near your speaker wires.Does that make ant sense?

Keith

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

What about this:If you're using a vertical audio rack, place your receiver or preamp and other components lower than your surge protector/conditioner.Your power cords run up,and everything else run down.Plus the power cords are then nowhere near your speaker wires.Does that make any sense?

Keith

Only if all cords will reach w/o using extension cords.

You'd still run into the "ugliness" factor, though, without some kind of channel or duct...

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

Hi All

Keep thoes suggjestions comming!

Great info!

Split Loom or sprial Loom is also a nice way to hide wires and is available in Black,Blue,Red,Yellow and white and sizes from 3/8" to 1-1/2"

Also the rule of thumb for placing gear in a verticall

rack is:Amps,Receivers,Power Line Conditioners and

High heat generating equipment is placed on the

lowest shelfs all transport driven devices on the upper

shelfs.The reasoning is that ambient temperature is

lower at the lower shelfs( because heat rises )making

your components run cooler,and the second reason is

that your clients dont have to bend over to load

transport devices.On a nother note did you know that

Glass is an excellent at retaning heat! Thoese nice

thick glass doors on racks are very good heat retainers

If you have these and dont have any tikes running about,you may want to leave them open.If you have to keep them closed a 110v silent fan availabe at Rat Shack may be a good investment.

L8TR

How far apart should speaker wires be kept from electrical wires? Also interconnects?

Scott

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - Academy (Black)

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

I have a verticle rack for my HT grae. I ditched the smoked glass doors... went to home depot and bought some of that board that you find on the back of cabinets. Cut the center out to make a 1-1/2" frame of wood with the center missing. I took some black standard material from wal mart and covered the wood frames. Black front with the breatheability factor Smile.gif