Touching up Black Lacquer

mark1101

I am looking to touch up my LaScalas. What's the secret here to match as closely as possible? Does Klipsch sell a matching black lacquer touch up kit? What should I use?

I can see the previous owner touched up a couple of tiny spots and it didn't match.

Thanks

You will need regular automotive black lacquer, black lac. is black lac.Go to an automotive finish store and ask them for it. If it is touch up which can be done by dabbing a small spot, then dab it, then after you have sufficent mil. let dry, wet sand with 1200-1500 grit sanpaper, use a little drop of dishsoap in a bucket of warm water to keep wet sanpaper and clean and wet. After you have the spot "even" and uniform with the wet sand, take some hand rubbing compound in the grit that the auto paint store gave you, and buff area to high even luster. Then finish it off with 3-m hand glaze. Again consult the local automotive paint store on this process, REMEMBER black LACQUER Is Black Lacquer. talk to the paint store and stick to their process. It will be very easy. THis is very good advise, I am a professional painting contractor that is in business doing very high end cusom finishing for 12 years now.Good luck, Rob

The only (spray) Satin Black Lacquer that I have ever been able to find is Plasti-Kote Classic Lacquer #350 Satin Black (at an auto supply store). I bought a couple of cans, but have NOT actually tried it. I HAVE refinished an entire side (after stripping) with Rust-oleum Satin Black #7777 (NOT Lacquer!!) with very acceptable results. It is NOT an exact match, but very close if applied correctly.

The spray can black Lacquer you are using is satin. If it is satin it is not pure lacquer, it will have lacquer thinner in it to excellerate the drying of the paint. Black Lacquer is Black Lacquer, and only black Lacquer, regardless of manufacture, black is black, lacquer is lacquer, check it for yourself---- automotive paint store only, Sherwin Williams has it to, but go to the automotive finish store. Rob

When you buy Sherwin Williams Black Lacquer (for spray... not prepackaged as spray) they assign a sheen number, which I have HEARD is #30 for the Klipsch equivalent. I am no lacquer expert however...

&ProductName=Classic%20Lacquer">Plasti-Kote #350

Black lac is about the simplest paint to touch up.

real lacure the stuff klipsch used comes in one finsh only.

wen un buffed it is a satin finsh when dulled buy sanding it is flater and when buffed it become semigloss or with lots of buffing high gloss.

It is real easy to touch small areas with a brush then wet sand and hand rub.

The lacure will melt into itself and become one with the old finsh.

Try doing a internet search under guitar refinshing and you will find some sites that will sell you real lacure in a small can or spray can.

Many states have outlawed Automotive lacure but some still sell it.

Lacquer has what is called a full gloss.when it is buffed as you said it reveals its gloss, you are incorrect saying that you acheive gloss by the amount of sanding or buffing. The sheen is adjusted by whats called flattening compound, the amount of this added adjusts sheen, not the buffing process. Hence 30 sheen is a semigloss made from gloss with 2 oz. of flattening compound per gallon. He will need regular black lacquer, and the cheapest and best place to purchase is an automotive paint store. Klipsch probobly used a regular cabinet grade production lacquer, this is very common stuff and will touch up easy. If you would like me to give you the details on the process you will need to do to touch up or re-finish your speakers perfectly, pm me and I can give you my phone number. The same goes for anyone on this sight looking to spruce up their speakers, cabinets or whatever, This is my specialty in life and it is what I am able to help all with here on this forum. I wish it was my knowledge of audio equipment but I am far from you guys on that.