Patch Cables (Interconnects)

Rich, I agree with you, but I'm considering taking a whack at silver speaker wires anyway.

Of course, I expect a diminishing return for the money, but what the heck! If I don't like them, I'll make a bunch of interconnects out of them.

DM2.gif

While industry takes great pains to match impedances and reduce VSWR in the IF & RF world the audio world does seem to lack thereof. In the old telephone exchanges 135, 75, & 600 ohm wire was used and the patch cords were all matched to the wire. If I buy a Denon receiver and a Klipsch subwoofer who knows what the actual impedance is throught the entire frequecy range of both units on both the input verses the output. So I have a Denon receiver with the LFE output of 75 ohms at 30 hz, an inteconnect cable of 72 ohms at 30 hz, and the klipsch subwoofer input of 74.9 ohms at 30 hz, with no pads to smooth it out as in RF or IF, tell me what happens to the transfer of the 30hz signal. And that is at just one frequency. Multiply that by how many different brand names of all components involved---electronic chaos.

JJK

right on JJK, that is why some cable makers are starting to custom build cables with impedance matching circuits based on the equipment to be matched, kind of expensive (above $1k) but I bet it helps somewhat. regards, tony

I'm using $50 monster cable interconnects. They sound okay to me, but then I haven't compared them to anything else more expensive. Since I'm a cheap S.O.B. I'm unlikely to until my kids grow up and leave home! I like the idea of making my own, however. Thanks for the tips in this thread.