Getting TV Soon... Recommendations??

Dome

I was looking at that 50" Rear Projected LCD Sony Grand Wega. A little under $3000 with SoundTrack's (Ultimate Electronics) Christmas in July sale and I would like to keep the max at around $3000.

Burn in is definatly a concern but I hear that LCD's are immune.

What about that new LCOS??

Thanks,

Adam

• Like 1

LCD projection is an ascendant technology. It's superb - when I first saw it, I thought I was looking at a plasma screen. It was in a local stereo store about a month ago, I got to watch the same digital source on a Sony LCD side by side with a 10k Plasma - I thought picture quality was too close to call! Only from angles is the difference apparent - but the current LCD projection screens are surprisingly good at extreme viewing angles (at least compared to my laptop monitor).

The other big advantage - when the lamp wears out after a few years, it can be replaced for a few hundred dollars. When a plasma screen dims from use, it's toast, it has to be replaced.

First, how far will you be from the screen? How big do you need? What is your budget? You should be able to get them down to $2800 on the 50". I got them down to $3400 on the 60in. Maybe even a little more if you play your cards right and offer to buy some audio equipment at the same time. The rear projection sonys are really nice. Also really nice are the Samsung DLPs with the 3rd generation "thingamajigger" in them are good

Go forward projection. For the same $3K, you can buy Sony's new HD FP unit, and wind up with as big a screen as you want to purchase (100" diagonal sound good to you? Can't get that in RP!) with easier replacement of those bulbs that burn out, and a superior image quality (depending on what you invest in your screen)

Plus, it doesn't take up any space at all in your room. Forget 15" depth - who needs it when you can have 4" depth flush mounted to the wall?

front projection DLP all the way. its cheaper, you can have a huge screen, and it doesnt suffer from burn-in (unlike LCD and plasma).

check out projectorcentral.com and look at thier list of highly reccomended projectors... you have a ton of options for $3000 and under.

A front projector is really not a practicle application for me at this time. I live in an apartment with a vaulted ceiling in the living room so setting up the projector could be difficult. Also, this will be a multipurpose (only) TV. Someday when I own my own house and can have a dedicated HT room, a front projector would be awesome, but it is not practicle at this time.

The main sets I have been looking at are the Sony Grand Wega (RPTV LCD) 42" or 50", or the new Mitsubishi WD-52525 (RPTV DLP) 52" (a little pricey). The Mitsu is a little expensive, but has a built in HDTV tuner and supports that new cable card thing (is that a big deal??). Viewing distance is about 8ft.

What are the main things to consider when choosing between DLP and LCD?

• Like 1

basically LCD has been surpassed in every way by DLP sets. i wouldnt touch even consider LCD unless you can get it for super cheap. LCD and plasma suffer from severe burn-in issues. after a few years your screen will get washed out. if you plan on using playstaton/xbox or the like, then DLP is the only way to go.. LCD and plasma will burn-in even faster with static images.

personally, i love the samsung DLP sets, super picture and can be had for fairly cheap. we just bought a 61" samsung DLP at work for like $3500. that thing rules.

LCD projectors surely do suffer from burn in, ive seen it with my own eyes. at work we installed a few high-lumens LCD projectors in a museum recently. one projector we had for months for testing purposes was completely washed out when installed next to 5 other brand new projectors.

Am I missing something, the posts on LCD technology seem to be outdated or plainly false. THERE IS NO BURN IN ISSUE ON A LCD RPTV. Also there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I personally like the Grand Wega LCD. LCD = Cheaper lamp replacement, no burn in (if you play video games this is important). DLP (Samsung 3rd generation) = slightly brighter picture and possibly better black levels. I suggest just viewing a few different TVs, its all about what you like to see. Also view different sources, i.e. Cable/SAT v. HD v. DVD Some TVs can differ greatly between different types of sources

P.S. Get it properly calibrated

The slide projector was actually my 3rd choice. I found a sweet deal on ebay for only 8.75!! It even comes with a super highspeed clicker attachment that can provide up to 3 frames per second!!

I am really interested in the LCD and DLP, but the slide is definatly a close 3rd! 9.gif

• Like 1